Author Topic: Is it too early to start talking about the Offseason?  (Read 461 times)

Is it too early to start talking about the Offseason?
« on: April 12, 2018, 02:18:54 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
We are getting close to the Offseason and I'm curious to see what the Celtics do. They have a lot of decisions to make with Smart, Baynes, Larkin, Nader etc. Barring a Leonard trade, here's what I'd like to see them do.

Trade Morris and Nader to the Bulls for Cristiano Felício and 2018 2nd (50th). Why? I don't think Baynes comes back and I'd like to see the C's get a long term replacement at center that's young and locked up for cheap. As much as I love him, Morris becomes expendable when Hayward returns. Tatum can drop back to the second unit and take his minutes. This also gets rid of Nader.

On draft night I'd pick up Moritz Wagner with the 27th pick. I love him, I think he's got the energy and shooting stroke to thrive in Stevens' system. With the 50th pick I'd take Shake Milton, Cody Martin, or Rawle Alkins. Who ever falls to us. Depending on how they play in the summer league, I'd sign them as a 2-way player.

Then free agency comes. If they can keep Smart for under 10mil a year, you have to do it. He's a huge asset to this team. If not, I throw the MLE at old friend Rajon Rondo and convince him to back up Irving. I know, so controversial, but I really believe Rondo has matured after hopping from team to team as a free agent. He loves Boston and I think he'd do what ever Ainge and Stevens told him to if it meant he could have stability again.

Now with Nader gone, I'd ink Jabari Bird to a 4 year contract. He's better than Nader, and if we need a 15th man I'd rather it be him.

If he gets no bites, I try to lock up Larkin on a 2-year Veteran Minimum. If not, I've liked what I've seen out of Gibson and would be fine giving him a 1-year Veteran Minimum. Or maybe even that Andre Ingram guy and steal the Lakers' joy away  :P

Roster:
Irving/Brown/Hayward/Horford/Felício
Smart or Rondo/Rozier/Tatum/Ojeleye/Theis
Larkin or Gibson/Bird/Yabusele/Wagner

2-way
Allen/Milton, Martin, or Alkins

This leaves an open roster spot for a ring chasing vet who will come here on the minimum or next season's buyout market. If healthy, we easily make the ECF.