Author Topic: Lavar Ball: "Lakers will win 50 games. Melo & Gelo will play for Lakers"  (Read 7450 times)

Re: Lavar Ball: "Lakers will win 50 games. Melo & Gelo will play for Lakers"
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 08:08:31 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
USA Today launched a vertical for Lonzo

http://lonzowire.usatoday.com/

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 08:20:07 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
The other two barely seem like college-level material, let alone NBA material. I'd be surprised if either of them make the league.
The younger brother is often considered better than Lonzo was as a similar age.  At the Final ESPN 100 Lonzo was ranked 4th (with a 96 grade).  For the 2019 class, LaMelo is currently ranked 7th (with a 95 grade) so that could adjust by the time the ESPN rankings are finalized.  Either way, he is at least considered near Lonzo from the talent and potential standpoint.

LiAngelo was a 3 star recruit with a 79 rating and outside the top 100 (the lowest rating in the top 100 was 83).  He is a freshman at UCLA this year, and is clearly not in the potential class of Lonzo or LaMelo, but a 79 rating isn't terrible and the family is clearly talented, so with a couple of years at UCLA could turn into a NBA caliber player.

I find it hard to believe that LiAngelo will become an NBA player. Players with his level of exposure are far more likely to be overrated in recruiting rankings than underrated, so if he's not a Top 100 prospect it's probably not great for him.

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
50 games combined in the next 2 seasons perhaps.

This is realistic. 

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 08:51:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
The other two barely seem like college-level material, let alone NBA material. I'd be surprised if either of them make the league.

Yeah, I guess it's good for LAL that two additional roster spots came into effect with two-way contracts. That way they can keep Lavar/Lonzo happy without bogging down actual roster spots with those two.

Lavar Ball represents everything that is wrong with sports.

If only loudmouth oafish self-promotion was all that was wrong with sports.

Entitlement without actually having earned it (hype without substance) and using your kids as puppets aren't exactly positives either. Somebody really needs to teach the guy the meaning of of the word, modesty.

It's not Lonzo's fault, but he isn't exactly stopping it. I hate to wish ill-will on his children, but I don't want to see this behavior encouraged in the future.

You know, this is seriously terrible for his kids. 

When I heard his idiotic rants, I immediately had established a negative bias towards Lonzo despite never seeing the guy actually speak.  Then I saw multiple interviews with Lonzo, and he actually seems like a really good kid - he seems to say all the right things, and his modesty seems genuine.  Sometimes I get the impression he's almost embarrassed by his dad. 

So I actually feel sorry for Lonzo, because under any other circumstances, he's the type of player I would be rooting for.  But I feel like the more success Lonzo gets, the more attention Lavar is going to get, and more chance there is of his brand succeeding, and the more I'm going to have to listen to his arrogant ramblings. 

So as sad as it is, part of me actually wants Lonzo to fail and the brand to fail just so his dad can be shut down and will close his bloomin' mouth.  And that's terrible, because you never want to wish for a talented young kid fail.  I don't think I've ever felt more conflicted feelings towards a prospect/player, and the worst thing is that it's nothing to do with Lonzo himself.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:02:28 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Yeah, I guess it's good for LAL that two additional roster spots came into effect with two-way contracts. That way they can keep Lavar/Lonzo happy without bogging down actual roster spots with those two.

Entitlement without actually having earned it (hype without substance) and using your kids as puppets aren't exactly positives either. Somebody really needs to teach the guy the meaning of of the word, modesty.

It's not Lonzo's fault, but he isn't exactly stopping it. I hate to wish ill-will on his children, but I don't want to see this behavior encouraged in the future.

When I heard his idiotic rants, I immediately had established a negative bias towards Lonzo despite never seeing the guy actually speak.  Then I saw multiple interviews with Lonzo, and he actually seems like a really good kid - he seems to say all the right things, and his modesty seems genuine.  Sometimes I get the impression he's almost embarrassed by his dad. 

So I actually feel sorry for Lonzo, because under any other circumstances, he's the type of player I would be rooting for.  But I feel like the more success Lonzo gets, the more attention Lavar is going to get, and more chance there is of his brand succeeding, and the more I'm going to have to listen to his arrogant ramblings. 

So as sad as it is, part of me actually wants Lonzo to fail and the brain to fail just so his dad with shut the hell up.  And that's terrible.  I don't think I've ever felt more conflicted feelings towards a prospect/player, and the worst thing is that it's nothing to do with Lonzo himself.
The youngest ball brother is annoying like his dad

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The kid's nickname is Gelo?

Is that like Jello? He needs to work on that one.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 09:04:15 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

So as sad as it is, part of me actually wants Lonzo to fail and the brain to fail just so his dad with shut the hell up.  And that's terrible.  I don't think I've ever felt more conflicted feelings towards a prospect/player, and the worst thing is that it's nothing to do with Lonzo himself.
The youngest ball brother is annoying like his dad

Well screw that one then.

I kinda secretly wish Lonzo would break off on his own, make his millions playing the game, and then leave his dad and his idiotic Big Baller Brand out to dry - that way I can actually root for Lonzo to succeed.

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

Why, what's wring with Jello as a nickname?  It indicates something that is soft, unstable and melts down easily if not kept in a cool place.  Seems appropriate for a kid from the Ball family!! :D

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 09:26:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I mean the guy's clearly a tool, though since I don't watch sports shows I'm blissfully free from hearing any of that crap directly. I just think there are a lot worse things in sports than some idiot babbling on TV about how awesome his kids are.
I agree. Like jemele hill, colin kaepernick, etc

I was thinking more along the lines of traumatic brain injuries, team doctors pushing addictive painkillers, and covering up/excusing assaults on women, but you do you.

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 09:45:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's impressive that his shtick hasn't completely worn out by now.
But somehow he keeps raising the bar, or at least providing a train wreck in slow motion.

Also he sorta keeps defying convention. Sorta like Trump's tweets or Howard Stern's trash you keep thinking "That'll ruin him" and it just makes him stronger.  Like you keep thinking he's going to ruin his kid's careers and lives and they just keep doing well. Like he's one of those celebrity child actor's parents who is in it for the money and absolutely tells you he is unashamedly, but then they just keep making money.

I have to reflect.

If I was told three people in sports said something yesterday....idk.....uh...Bill Belichick, Jemele Hill, and Lavar Ball.....it's no contest who I'd be more likely to try to find out what they said.

Now if someone told me someone said something "interesting" I'd check out Belichick first.

Case in point....the second I saw this thread I had to see it. Had to.  I'm like 50 games? Gelo? Does he know stuff I don't know? How the heck is that gonna happen? What if he's right?

This could burn out in a year but I sorta doubt it.  Charles Barkley is kinda still doing it. A little different but still.

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 10:38:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Beating the Lakers will be very fun. Lol

the more Balls on the Lakers the merrier .....bring em all on ...including the big mouth himself.

We are gonna have a "Ball ". watching the Celtics destroy the funny farm team from LA.
because as everyone knows, the Lakers haven't had any Balls for years     ;D

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:07 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Please keep running your mouth so opposing PGs all over the league will shut down your sonny boy Lonzo Ball, and help the Celtics with that Lakers pick in the process.  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Ha! Dumbest nickname ever.

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This guy is gold :laugh:.

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2017, 12:56:42 AM »

Offline oscarsaav