Author Topic: Sullinger just signed a 2-month contract to go play in China, so...  (Read 2505 times)

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
...who is our current "most overrated" player?

I ask because as long as I've been a Celtics fan there has always been one or two guys that were just overrated by fans wearing their green goggles. In recent memory, there was:

Big Baby, who really wasn't much of an NBA player and flamed out quickly once Doc Rivers stopped giving him a meal ticket.

Post-knee injury Rondo, who just stopped trying completely during the regular season and could no longer play defense or finish at the rim.

Jared Sullinger, who some on this very forum thought was a legitimate starter.

The common threads among them have been the fact that they were very polarizing players. Some Celticsblog members hated em while others loved them. And then, once they were placed in situations where they had to prove that they were good in a vacuum, they all flopped.

The question is, who is that guy (or guys) on the current team? I'm thinking it's Smart. He has NBA-level tools, no doubt, but his defense regressed a little last season, he added a little too much weight and lost footspeed, and his offense is historically bad (and doesn't seem to be improving). Quite frankly I think he'd be out of the league if he had been drafted by any other team. I know, I know... he's an intangibles guy. He's better than his stats suggest. But his stats suggest he's horrible, so even taking that into account he's overrated at best.

What do you all think? Who's the current most overrated player on the team?

Re: Sullinger just signed a 2-month contract to go play in China, so...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:03:24 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Smart is the poster boy for modern NBA player, handles the ball & can guard 4 positions.  He'd stick on all thirty teams methinks.

I'd say Rozier.   

Not about his talent, just not sure he'd get the opportunity anywhere else.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 10:44:15 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
How I wish this was actually a 2 month contract to play in Japan, just so I could imagine the fans and commentators screaming...GODZILLA!

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:32:06 PM »

Offline ballin

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105
Jaylen Brown.

Think it's fair to make that prediction after just one season?

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 11:37:17 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
we got young guys and 3 all stars, so nobody comes to my mind. If Crowder was still on the team, he would get my vote, i wish him all the best, but i am convinced that he will disappear in Cleveland.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:42 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Definitely Smart - by a mile. 

He's a pure defensive role player who:

* Doesn't really anything else at an above average level
* Is horribly inconsistent on offense
* Often makes terrible decisions with the ball (shot selection) and off the ball (flopping)
* Has shown barely any development after 3 seasons in the league

As of now, it's pretty hard to envision him being anything more then a 6th man on the most of the quality playoff teams out there, since the his offensive limitations just make him a challenge to fit in to most NBA starting lineups.

Yet many Celtics fans were angered by the thought of offering Smart in a trade for legitimate stars such as Jimmy Butler or Demarcus Cousins - utterly convinced that he is an irreplaceable game changer. 

He isn't.  He is a stronger but less agile version of Elfrid Payton - that's it.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 12:22:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sullinger was a solid starter when he was healthy and in somewhat adequate shape.

His issue was that he couldn't stay in adequate shape and so couldn't stay healthy.

Most overrated now is probably Tatum. Don't expect him to do much to help the team win games right away.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:25:56 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It's difficult to say given that it's hard to keep track of who is even on the team anymore :-\.

* Often makes terrible decisions with the ball (shot selection) and off the ball (flopping)

As of now, it's pretty hard to envision him being anything more then a 6th man on the most of the quality playoff teams out there, since the his offensive limitations just make him a challenge to fit in to most NBA starting lineups.

Yet many Celtics fans were angered by the thought of offering Smart in a trade for legitimate stars such as Jimmy Butler or Demarcus Cousins - utterly convinced that he is an irreplaceable game changer. 

He isn't.  He is a stronger but less agile version of Elfrid Payton - that's it.

Nah, Payton is a much better passer who can actually get to the basket and *gasp* finish (not that I could do any better, of course, as I can't even dribble, lol.  Ugh), plus dat hair, tho #WeirdHurrDon'tCurr :laugh:.

On the other hand, when I was reading a game thread over on Canis Hoopus last season to see how Kris Dunn was doing (lol.  Still pulling for him, though), I came across this rather amusing exchange -

I really liked Marcus Smart but with that hair? Nah. Hard pass.

Posted by Catalinawinemixer on Nov 21, 2016 | 8:55 PM
▼It looks like a Chili's appetizer that sat under the heat lamp all night.
Posted by E-6 on Nov 21, 2016 | 9:00 PM

L M A O :laugh:. Well, I thought it was funny, anyway.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:34:47 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 12:48:12 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Up until he was traded I think it was Jae Crowder. Now it's difficult because most are too early in their career. It's probably Smart or Rozier by default. Not the right time to evaluate the question though.

I don't think Sullinger was overrated, when healthy he was a good player and certainly had the potential to start. Is it wrong to hope a player can take the game more seriously?
Rondo is still a good player and last playoffs he proved he still has worth to a team. His issue has always been that his style doesn't fit with what a lot of teams want.

Noone is asking to give Smart the max or close to it. His fans, including me, are well aware of his shortcomings. We are also well aware of his impact in games. We win when he is on the floor. It's only the detractors that marginalise that for their own reasons...

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 01:06:34 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
The dumpling chefs just cancelled their 2 o'clock.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 02:03:56 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
It's difficult to say given that it's hard to keep track of who is even on the team anymore :-\.

Nah, Payton is a much better passer who can actually get to the basket and *gasp* finish (not that I could do any better, of course, as I can't even dribble, lol.  Ugh), plus dat hair, tho #WeirdHurrDon'tCurr :laugh:.

On the other hand, when I was reading a game thread over on Canis Hoopus last season to see how Kris Dunn was doing (lol.  Still pulling for him, though), I came across this rather amusing exchange -

I really liked Marcus Smart but with that hair? Nah. Hard pass.

Posted by Catalinawinemixer on Nov 21, 2016 | 8:55 PM
▼It looks like a Chili's appetizer that sat under the heat lamp all night.
Posted by E-6 on Nov 21, 2016 | 9:00 PM

L M A O :laugh:. Well, I thought it was funny, anyway.

Haha definitely - I think Sully's hairstyle was a special signature cue that signifies a person's place in that special "overweight ballers who can't shoot threes, but chuck up 4 of them a game anyway" club. 

Coincidently, it did not take long for Sully to invite Smart in to his exclusive club.

lol jokes aside I do like Smart and think he adds definite value to the team, but one of two things needs to happen this year:

1. Smart needs to take a big step forward

or

2. People need to remove the green glasses and see him for the quality role player he is

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 02:35:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I feel sorry for him. He's got the talent to easily be in the NBA, even as a starter. Just seems to have a poor attitude and gets lashed for being overweight. Despite never being in good shape, he was still a 10/8 guy in 24 minutes. That's pretty [dang] decent.

He also seems to support Boston whenever we play on Twitter, and seems to have a real love for the Celtics. Only makes me like him more, and wish him well.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 07:57:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
. He's got the talent to easily be in the NBA, even as a starter

I would challenge that assertion, he can't shoot the ball well and his defense was poor.   He also lacked the work ethic it takes to play in the NBA.   Hopefully, this wakes him up and he doesn't like Chinese food.

Sullinger was a solid starter when he was healthy and in somewhat adequate shape.

His issue was that he couldn't stay in adequate shape and so couldn't stay healthy.

Couldn't shoot, D was horrible.  Didn't listen to numerous warning signs.   Believed his own hype and that he could play fat at a high level which was false.   Self- destructing time bomb and let us down the last playoff series he played.   Zero discipline.

Most overrated now is probably Tatum. Don't expect him to do much to help the team win games right away.

Tatum is not going to end up in China until he is in his forties.   We always tend to over rate our guys.  Sullinger was definitely over rated by this board.   He had one skill which he was good at, but even that he was not truly elite at.   8-9 RPG is good rebounding the elite guys get more than 10.   Yes, he was our best rebounder, but that is like saying your the best dart thrower on a team full of blind guys.   We were a poor rebounding team ( still are a poor rebounding team) so we thought guys with over 6 rpg were solid.  In reality they are not unless they are playing guard or SF.

I don't think Sullinger was overrated, when healthy he was a good player and certainly had the potential to start. Is it wrong to hope a player can take the game more seriously?
Rondo is still a good player and last playoffs he proved he still has worth to a team. His issue has always been that his style doesn't fit with what a lot of teams want.

Not here in Boston, no he was definitely over rated.   Other teams could have got him on the cheap, they worked him out and said "no".   I know both HEAT and Brooklyn were two teams that declined.

He was never a good player folks.   You think that because he was on our team.   He was nothing more than a rotational player who started.  He never averaged a double double once in his career.  Career shooting is 44%  career three shooting 27%.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/6624/jared-sullinger

He was a stop gap, period.  Our memories are often faulty and fail us.

I feel sorry for him

Self inflicted for the most part.   All those Kevin Love comparisons are pretty funny in retrospect when he came into the league.   Jared must have believed them.   One would think he would have a huge chip on his shoulder after dropping in the draft but it never materialized.

He also seems to support Boston whenever we play on Twitter, and seems to have a real love for the Celtics. Only makes me like him more, and wish him well

Once a Celtics, always a Celtic.   We gave him a ton of rope to hang himself and every chance to succeed.   Good luck to him in China.

To me, he never exemplified Celtics Pride because he did not take pride in his personal fitness and ate himself into poor shape during the season.   Who gains weight during the season?   He routinely put himself ahead of the needs of the team by satisfying his urge to eat.  I for one am glad that Ainge let him go.   The NBA did as well or he would not be in China.   Once, again Ainge makes the right call for the team.  I don't think how I feel are a secret to anyone.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:40 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Most overrated on the roster has to be Rozier. Entered the league at age 21, now 23. Supposed to be an offensive spark plug kind of a player, but his PER had bren 5 and 10.9, true shooting has been .326 and .466. Per 36, he has been a 8.3+11.7 ppg and 4.3+3.6 apg. Per 36!!! Shooting wise, he has shot .274 and .367 overall, and .222 and .318 from 3. He has had a good FT %.

But, right now, withhout another major across the board leap in his production, this is not a player that should see the floor on an ecf favorite.