Author Topic: Smart ranked #65 in the League  (Read 15020 times)

Re: Smart ranked #65 in the League
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2017, 11:46:06 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Wow what a dumb list. #65 is high for Smart but I do think he's top 100. He's far from the most overrated player on that list.

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2017, 12:21:56 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Is offense a factor in determining these rankings?

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2017, 02:31:14 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

According to ESPN.

#61 Avery Bradley
#63 Lonzo Ball
#64 Carmelo
#65 Smart
#66 Batum

Not a perfect list, but hey I'll take our super sub Utility knife as a top 65 player in basketball.

I think that somebody at ESPN didn't take on their drug testing duties this year.

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:58 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The list was already pretty horrible to start.

Then they put Melo at 64 and lost all credibility in one shot.

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2017, 08:00:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That list is pretty silly and is rooted more in opinion that basketball stats.  Oh wait, that is pretty much ESPN in a nutshell.

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:21 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Jae crowder - 38th best player in NBA???

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27

I'm not sure he's even #3 on the Kings

DeArron Fox, Skal Labisierre, Willy Cauley Stein, Buddy Hield

If Smart was traded for any of them straight up I don't think I'd be too worried or nervous, money issues aside.

You're right. If we were playing a game tomorrow, Smart might be No. 1 on the Kings, probably No. 2 behind George Hill (if he's healthy).

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

If Smart was traded for any of them straight up I don't think I'd be too worried or nervous, money issues aside.

You're right. If we were playing a game tomorrow, Smart might be No. 1 on the Kings, probably No. 2 behind George Hill (if he's healthy).
I forgot George Hill. That makes him 5th. I had to think about Justin Jackson for a minute

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2017, 11:03:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This would place Marcus as an elite third man on a roster, if teams were distributed evenly. It seems quite high to me.

What's particularly weird to me is, if we assume that the rankings take an average of various panelists, that means that some probably ranked Marcus significantly higher than 65th. I'd love to hear how people came to that conclusion.

There are enough teams where he would be the 3rd guy, and some even maybe 2 on the really bad teams like the Nets, Kings etc. 

These rankings do seem a little wacky though.

The list is based off how good these guys are right now though, not in the future. If the league ended after this year and we traded Smart for any of them, I’d be pretty p---ed.
that isn't exactly right.

We asked, "Which player will be better in 2017-18?" To decide, voters had to consider both the quality and the quantity of each player's contributions to his team's ability to win games.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I forgot George Hill. That makes him 5th. I had to think about Justin Jackson for a minute

He's dropping off but Z-Bo's also on the Kings now. If the trial goes well at least.

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

According to ESPN.

#61 Avery Bradley
#63 Lonzo Ball
#64 Carmelo
#65 Smart
#66 Batum

Not a perfect list, but hey I'll take our super sub Utility knife as a top 65 player in basketball.

First of all look at the source ESPN, and then realize at times a sports writer has absolutely nothing of value to say, and then goes about demonstrating it, all for the simple reason of, that's his job.

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 01:02:05 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
This would place Marcus as an elite third man on a roster, if teams were distributed evenly. It seems quite high to me.

What's particularly weird to me is, if we assume that the rankings take an average of various panelists, that means that some probably ranked Marcus significantly higher than 65th. I'd love to hear how people came to that conclusion.

There are enough teams where he would be the 3rd guy, and some even maybe 2 on the really bad teams like the Nets, Kings etc. 

The list is based off how good these guys are right now though, not in the future. If the league ended after this year and we traded Smart for any of them, I’d be pretty p---ed.

We asked, "Which player will be better in 2017-18?" To decide, voters had to consider both the quality and the quantity of each player's contributions to his team's ability to win games.
So I’m exactly right...

They’re only rating guys on how they will do this upcoming year. Would you be happy if we traded 1 year of Smart for 1 year of Fox, WCS, Buddy Hield, Lab, or Justin Jackson?? I know I wouldn’t.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

So I’m exactly right...

They’re only rating guys on how they will do this upcoming year. Would you be happy if we traded 1 year of Smart for 1 year of Fox, WCS, Buddy Hield, Lab, or Justin Jackson?? I know I wouldn’t.
it is more how they will perform not how good they are if you look at how they define better.  "quality and the quantity of each player's contributions to his team's ability to win games". 

Smart should be pretty highly ranked based on that criteria as he is pretty valuable to wins and losses and will have plenty of minutes and opportunity.  It doesn't mean Smart is better than some of the players he is ahead of though. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2017, 01:10:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Smart is a coaches player and fan favorite . There is not a team in the NBA that would not want him on their squad. Very few players do what he does as well.  Cause his team to win games without scoring.

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
ESPN ranked crowder higher than Horford...