Author Topic: Smart ranked #65 in the League  (Read 15014 times)

Re: Smart ranked #65 in the League
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 08:37:59 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Did they completely change the way they do the rankings?

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 09:04:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This would place Marcus as an elite third man on a roster, if teams were distributed evenly. It seems quite high to me.

What's particularly weird to me is, if we assume that the rankings take an average of various panelists, that means that some probably ranked Marcus significantly higher than 65th. I'd love to hear how people came to that conclusion.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 09:59:51 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This would place Marcus as an elite third man on a roster, if teams were distributed evenly. It seems quite high to me.

What's particularly weird to me is, if we assume that the rankings take an average of various panelists, that means that some probably ranked Marcus significantly higher than 65th. I'd love to hear how people came to that conclusion.

Does seem high, but if you made a list of best defenders, he's top 5-10 right?

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 10:08:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I was thinking the same thing. Like was there two moronic outliers that had Marcus in their top ten and everyone else had him down at around 120. If so, please send whatever those guys are smoking to my house. I need a smoke before rewatching Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2017, 10:12:51 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

There are enough teams where he would be the 3rd guy, and some even maybe 2 on the really bad teams like the Nets, Kings etc. 

These rankings do seem a little wacky though. 

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2017, 10:17:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
See stuff like this is why I don't really believe in elite abilities in the same way any more. Do you think you could do a better job as an NBA GM? Uh....I think a drunk elephant suffering from seizures could do better than Isaiah Thomas, so yeah.  Do you think a guy off a fan board could do a better job of covering the NBA?  Uh....well.....assuming ESPN doesn't fire Roy Hobbes here for not being a flaming liberal his first 15 minutes on the job....yeah I definitely definitely think he could do better without any doubt whatsoever. None.

It's just the way it is now.

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2017, 10:18:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

There are enough teams where he would be the 3rd guy, and some even maybe 2 on the really bad teams like the Nets, Kings etc. 

I'm not sure he's even #3 on the Kings

DeArron Fox, Skal Labisierre, Willy Cauley Stein, Buddy Hield

If Smart was traded for any of them straight up I don't think I'd be too worried or nervous, money issues aside.

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2017, 10:22:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
See stuff like this is why I don't really believe in elite abilities in the same way any more. Do you think you could do a better job as an NBA GM? Uh....I think a drunk elephant suffering from seizures could do better than Isaiah Thomas, so yeah.  Do you think a guy off a fan board could do a better job of covering the NBA?  Uh....well.....assuming ESPN doesn't fire Roy Hobbes here for not being a flaming liberal his first 15 minutes on the job....yeah I definitely definitely think he could do better without any doubt whatsoever. None.

It's just the way it is now.
Ha...Roy a liberal...hehehe. Thats funny.

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2017, 10:26:42 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Melo been in the league a long time and has had plenty of chance to get somewhere.  He made it to the WCF once.... then demaded a trade.

Melos game is not good for a winning team.  He is an isolation mid range player. It's antiquated and ineffective.

Way to tapdance around your assertion that Melo's been a negative player his whole career was awful, as well as ignoring the very valid Paul Pierce reference.

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2017, 10:37:14 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

If Smart was traded for any of them straight up I don't think I'd be too worried or nervous, money issues aside.
The list is based off how good these guys are right now though, not in the future. If the league ended after this year and we traded Smart for any of them, I’d be pretty p---ed.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Lots of insanity.  Malcolm Brogdon at #56?  Ahead of all those players mentioned and also Teague, Wiggins, Devin Booker, and Harrison Barnes.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2017, 11:07:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
If only Smart could, you know, score the ball.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2017, 11:17:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think Melo is overrated, but despite that and regardless how you feel about him, the fact that he's #64 and one spot before Lonzo Freakin' Ball is an absolute joke.

ESPN is becoming garbage lately. Some of the reporters are alright but the rest are just trash. These rankings are a joke too. It's too bad they scooped up Woj too because I loved him before, but now it seems obvious he's stirring up drama whenever he can to generate clicks. The ESPN way  ::)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2017, 11:19:00 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

The list is based off how good these guys are right now though, not in the future. If the league ended after this year and we traded Smart for any of them, I’d be pretty p---ed.

You'd be p---ed if we traded Marcus Smart for De'Aaron Fox?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07