Author Topic: The 10 year rule in sports  (Read 1454 times)

The 10 year rule in sports
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:59:19 AM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
At work we use the 10 year rule for our major sports teams that we follow.  The 10 rule goes like this: If your favorite team has not won a title for more than 10 years, you have the right to cry and complain.  We will agree,  ya it’s tough your team hasn’t won it all in a while or man that stinks that your team has never won it all!  Sorry Pacers fans, 40 years, ouch!!

But, when your team wins the whole thing, it is time to stop complaining and enjoy your team’s glory,  for 10 years anyway!  You now don’t have the right to complain about your team winning it all for 10 years.  Hey if your favorite team wins it again, all good and lucky for you! But, if they don’t win the title, we don’t want to hear you crying about it.  Just enjoy the fact that you won it and realize there are many other teams and their fans that would love to be able to do the same thing.

Before the 2007-8 season I was doing a lot of complaining! As a long time Celtics fan I was pretty accustom to seeing my team win it all. Then the long wait came after 86!
I write this now because our 10 year rule is almost over, hard to believe that it went so fast! I still probably won’t complain too much if it doesn’t happen right away, I still like the direction the Celtics are going and I think they will be a lot of fun to watch this year. Heres to the 17-time World Champion Boston Celtics!

Re: The 10 year rule in sports
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 10:01:45 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
In theory, it makes sense.

However, once you taste that title, you want more.  You want to be more than a one year wonder and you want dynasty mode.  You get spoiled. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:16:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
In the end it is all about championships, but in the moment, it really does depend. We won our 07-08 title in the first year of the new Big 3. For the following 5 years, we were still hopeful as we were contending, but another championship never materialized.

Then came the one year we were in the lottery, two more years of rebuilding, and boom - we are back to contending again.

Some teams like the Kings barely even know what contending is like, never mind actually winning the whole thing. As long as you feel like you have legit shot at winning, I don't think it really matters; it's only when you look back on it and realize it has been quite a while since we have won our last title that you think you have a right to complain.

All I know is Cs fans have it a LOT better than other fans.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:49:45 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm from New England. I'm more like 2 years. Every two years one of the 4 major franchises should win one.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 12:03:19 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm from New England. I'm more like 2 years. Every two years one of the 4 major franchises should win one.

Haha agree. I'm from NE and think it is amazing how people expect something every year. Look at the Pats- they lose one game to KC and ppl freak out. People, this happened just a couple years ago and they won the SB vs the Seahawks! We have literally seen this before, yet people lose perspective so quickly.

I would love to see some people around here live in KC, Seattle, Tenn, Atlanta, etc. even for a year. My guess: appreciation and gratitude would ensue rather quickly.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51

Too funny! I am from New England as well and I am a Boston fan in all sports except football.
When I was like 8 years old I became a Cowboys fan.  I like the Patriots but in the end I am a cowboys fan. I am working off the 20 year rule there, lol.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:24:53 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
In theory, it makes sense.

Even more complicated when you consider a case like the Celtic who won in 2008 but have made another Finals and 3 ECFs since then.