Poll

Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?  (Read 6647 times)

Re: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 12:22:42 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
DMC is becoming the new Josh Smith.

I love his talent, but agree with others that his salary would be too difficult to match...and I would much rather have Horford than Cousins. Brown/Tatum are a definite no-go.

DMC is immeasurably more talented than Smith. Not a good comp. Smith was an elite athlete but not skilled at much of anything other than leaping and running.

Cousins is definitely talented.

The question should be about how worried we would be if Cleveland got him? If the answer is very, we should try to get him. He's no doubt an impact player, however volatile he may be. I know we lost veteran leadership, but Horford is still here. Marcus (although younger), has harnessed his attitude into a positive. Hayward will bring leadership. And I hope Kyrie is ready to walk the walk.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 01:10:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Believe it or not, I'm not sure.

The appeal that the Celtics had was that they had a strong veteran locker room. The culture was perfect to absorb a guy like Cousins. IT, Jae, Bradley. Horford.

All of those guys would be gone. I think the risk goes way up.

I am surprisingly in this camp as well. I was a huge supporter of bringing in Cousins. After he moved to NOP and after the Celtics roster shifting so much, I am no longer a supporter of it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:36:39 AM by pearljammer10 »

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 02:56:16 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Yes...

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 04:11:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Wouldn't even think about it and I would hang up the phone so fast I might break it. Think the Celtics front office feels the same as they could easily have had him last year and passed.

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 04:59:50 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
No. And I think the Cs front office (and coach) feels the same way.

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 05:04:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I d keep my eyes on the prize

ADavis

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 05:11:47 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I'd consider him as a midseason rental. I think you can take a guy with that extreme talent, and for a few months get him to fight for a championship in his own best interests. Let someone else overpay him afterwards, though, because you don't want to bet on him for 4 years.

If he's motivated for the playoff run on top of a team already contending, you probably win a title. Risky of course.

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'd consider him as a midseason rental. I think you can take a guy with that extreme talent, and for a few months get him to fight for a championship in his own best interests. Let someone else overpay him afterwards, though, because you don't want to bet on him for 4 years.

If he's motivated for the playoff run on top of a team already contending, you probably win a title. Risky of course.

The problem with your idea is we don't have an expiring contract that lines up nicely with his salary for a trade.  Maybe something like Smart, Morris, and Baynes would be fine. 

Once you start using some of our better assets Brown, Tatum, the LA/Kings pick, or even Horford's big salary you would want to re-sign him to make it worthwhile.  However as others have mentioned it's an iffy proposition given his past history.

I voted yes in my poll but I don't know if I could get myself to pull the trigger.

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 09:27:15 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

The problem with your idea is we don't have an expiring contract that lines up nicely with his salary for a trade.  Maybe something like Smart, Morris, and Baynes would be fine. 

Once you start using some of our better assets Brown, Tatum, the LA/Kings pick, or even Horford's big salary you would want to re-sign him to make it worthwhile.  However as others have mentioned it's an iffy proposition given his past history.

I voted yes in my poll but I don't know if I could get myself to pull the trigger.

Salaries could be tricky, but Morris + Baynes + Larkin + Yabusele just barely works, and you could sub Nader/Rozier somewhere in there as well for small changes. So we can do it without moving a ton of talent, but probably would have to be a 4-for-1 or 5-for-1 deal.

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 09:55:35 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
No.

He's good, sure-- but he doesn't win games.  And any deal would cost us too much to obtain, it becomes the ultimate lose/lose. 

Rather have Horford as our big.

With Gordon, the two rookies, and Kyrie --- we've enough bucket-getters and I have a feeling this current group deserves to be left alone without tinkering for a bit, see what we have.

Only takes one bad ingredient to mess up the stew.

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 09:56:07 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Salaries could be tricky, but Morris + Baynes + Larkin + Yabusele just barely works, and you could sub Nader/Rozier somewhere in there as well for small changes. So we can do it without moving a ton of talent, but probably would have to be a 4-for-1 or 5-for-1 deal.

True but on the other hand there could be teams that could easily trump that offer so you could be in a bidding war as well.

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 11:14:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Whether we want him or not, it seems pretty clear Ainge and CBS don't.  :P

I mean he went for essentially peanuts last deadline and apparently C's didn't even bother making an offer (in fact many teams didn't, which is why Pels got him cheap).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 11:18:50 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

True but on the other hand there could be teams that could easily trump that offer so you could be in a bidding war as well.

Of course. My point is that we actually can match salaries w/o too much trouble and w/o being forced to trade Brown, Tatum, Smart, etc. The market was pretty weak for 1.5 years of him, presumably it would be even weaker for 0.5 years. Maybe Yabusele, a 1st rounder and those salaries get it done for a rental.

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06:43 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I went with no.

I don't think I need to further explain my stance on cousins.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2017, 01:08:34 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Nope.
Danny Ainge doesn't want to trade for him and that's reason enough for me to avoid.

Danny Ainge likes to gamble on players with these personalities aka 'problem' children of the NBA.

The guy is obviously mentally ill.
So much talent, such little brains. Will never be the player he had the realistic potential to be.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.