Poll

Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?  (Read 6645 times)

Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think I still would say yes but not 100% sure. 

Yes he does sap the life out of teammates, and probably takes too many plays off and not enough winning plays. 

However he is still tremendously talented, and how he would perform under Steven's guidance would be intriguing.  Plus him being on the last year of his contract you don't have to give up a motherload of assets like you would for Davis.  What's tricky is his salary of around 18 mil makes it a little more difficult to trade for.  You could do something like Brown, Smart, and Morris for Cousins but then you have a gaping hole at SG. Unless you slide Hayward over to SG, and Tatum to SF, Horford to PF and have a really big team. 

You could trade Horford but you would have to take on another salary in return to match salaries. Maybe take on Asik's bad contract to lessen what we have to give up. It might have to be a 3 team deal as I don't see NO having much use for Horford.

I think I would still say yes, but I bet more people would say no than a year ago. Plus by trading for him I don't think it excludes trading for Davis 2 years from now if we hold onto our prime assets. Trade Cousins for Davis then. Ha

Whatever the case it's going to be really interesting to see how things unfold between Davis and Cousins in the near future. On paper they should dominate front courts like Robinson and Duncan used to.

Re: Would you trade for Demarcus Cousins?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would love him here, but it would be very hard for us to get him. His talent for a big man is insane, as he can literally do almost everything. A trio of Kyrie/Hayward/Cousins would be unstoppable.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Believe it or not, I'm not sure.

The appeal that the Celtics had was that they had a strong veteran locker room. The culture was perfect to absorb a guy like Cousins. IT, Jae, Bradley. Horford.

All of those guys would be gone. I think the risk goes way up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 09:30:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am not sure.   Lets see how he looks (and how he does in the locker room) for a full season away from the Kings.   

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:58:06 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Depends what we give in exchange.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
If the trade is something like Morris, Baynes, and Brown then I'd be fine with that.  I'd give up Boston's 2018 1st as well and I might even throw in Rozier or Yabu if it was a deal breaker.  I'd try to bring back some lesser players for depth as well so like Jordan Crawford, Cheik Diallo, etc.

So something like this I'd do

Morris, Baynes, Brown, Yabusele, Larkin, BOS 18 1st

for

Cousins, Crawford, Ajinca

which leaves Boston post-trade

PG - Irving, Rozier
SG - Smart, Crawford
SF - Hayward, Tatum, Nader
PF - Cousins, Ojeleye
C - Horford, Ajinca, Theis

Various other minor pieces could be traded, but I think that is a reasonable enough trade if the Cousins with Davis experience doesn't work.  Of course Brown is a lot to give up for a potential half season rental of Cousins, but I think it is worth the risk as that team could realistically win the championship if it came together properly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
If the trade is something like Morris, Baynes, and Brown then I'd be fine with that.  I'd give up Boston's 2018 1st as well and I might even throw in Rozier or Yabu if it was a deal breaker.  I'd try to bring back some lesser players for depth as well so like Jordan Crawford, Cheik Diallo, etc.

So something like this I'd do

Morris, Baynes, Brown, Yabusele, Larkin, BOS 18 1st

for

Cousins, Crawford, Ajinca

which leaves Boston post-trade

PG - Irving, Rozier
SG - Smart, Crawford
SF - Hayward, Tatum, Nader
PF - Cousins, Ojeleye
C - Horford, Ajinca, Theis

Various other minor pieces could be traded, but I think that is a reasonable enough trade if the Cousins with Davis experience doesn't work.  Of course Brown is a lot to give up for a potential half season rental of Cousins, but I think it is worth the risk as that team could realistically win the championship if it came together properly.
You are out of your mind to move brown for Cousins
Baynes + 1first for Cousins at most

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
No. Hes a locker room threat

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 10:59:29 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Of course Brown is a lot to give up for a potential half season rental of Cousins

Understatement of the year
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 10:59:47 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I would not, extremely low character and is generally a loser.

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 11:03:16 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
No, as giving up any combination of the matching salary would undoubtedly overmatch value (trade or team performance), that DMC brings back.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
DMC is becoming the new Josh Smith.

I love his talent, but agree with others that his salary would be too difficult to match...and I would much rather have Horford than Cousins. Brown/Tatum are a definite no-go.

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 11:11:25 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
There are no circumstances under which I would want to see that guy in a Celtics uniform.

We have an asset - Brad Stevens, and Cousins is a coach killer. I am not interested in taking any risk with the Brad Stevens asset, even if that risk is slight. Moreover, even if we assume that Danny would side with Stevens in any dispute with Cousins, given the probability of such a dispute, it seems like whatever it would take to acquire Cousins could be better spent acquiring an asset without Cousins' associated risks.

After all - if he has a dispute with Stevens, his market price would go down, and we would be getting 40 cents on the dollar trying to move him again after acquiring him.

I also do not like him. I do not like his antics. I do not find his game (although he has undeniable skills) fun to watch. He is a boring, unlikeable player.

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I would have traded for Cousins. I remember being p---ed off when Cousins was traded last season, because I thought the Celtics had the contracts and assets needed to made the deal. I understand that he has a bad reputation, but I also believe the environment in Sacramento didn't help matters. Playing for a solid organization in the Celtics and with Brad Stevens, I believe that he would have been a solid contributor. To make a Patriots reference, he could have been the equivalent to Cory Dillon.

However, due to the signing of Hayward, which led Danny to renounce the rights to players making around $10M per season, I just don't think the Celtics are in a position to match salaries in a deal for Cousins. Irving, Hayward and Horford aren't going anywhere. It makes zero sense to package Brown or Tatum, which would probably be required just to match salaries.

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 11:16:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Of course Brown is a lot to give up for a potential half season rental of Cousins

Understatement of the year
It really depends on whether Boston thinks Cousins would re-sign.  If the team is pretty confident he will re-up, then I think that is a reasonable risk to take.  The reality is Tatum or Brown pretty much has to be included to the make the salaries work unless Horford is traded and that is just a bad idea. 

I'd personally go for the title though and I think a starting 5 of Irving, Smart, Hayward, Cousins, and Horford not only makes the Finals, but also would have a very realistic chance of beating Golden State.  Of course, I'm not as high on Brown as a lot of people are on here so that may be some of my thinking on that one.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip