Author Topic: Why do people think Lakers are a lock to get Lebron?  (Read 4816 times)

Why do people think Lakers are a lock to get Lebron?
« on: September 11, 2017, 11:12:15 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I don't get how the media has anointed Lakers as Lebron's destination next season, they will have an untested, thin, defensively weak point guard and another physically weak player in Ingram who was terrible last season and that's about it. Hypothetically if George signs there why would that put Lakers over the top in the sweepstakes? Lebron and PG are both on the record saying they don't want to play power forward so does PG go back to guard? or the bench? and even then they are no where near Warriors level.

If I had to bet where he would go if he leaves it'd be Houston if they could get off Anderson's contract.

Re: Why do people think Lakers are a lock to get Lebron?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:32:49 PM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I think it's the fascination of a the bannana boat team forming (ie lebron, cp3, wade and melo), and it happening in LA makes as much sense as anywhere else. Outside of that I don't see Lebron leaving the east, having to go through the warriors earlier than necessary doesn't seem like Lebron move to me, PG or not.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:45:28 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Lebron wants to win as many rings as he possibly can - all he cares about is cementing his legacy and trying to overcome Jordan.

Look at Lebron's history.  He tends to go to teams where he can join up with young stars so that he can compete for many years.  Joined with Wade and Bosh in Miami when they were in their 20's  Once he felt they no longer had potential to compete in the future, he walked.   

Next he went to Cleveland to join up with two younger stars in Kyrie and Kevin Love - both in their low-to-mid 20's.  Had a solid run, but now Cleveland are clearly outgunned and outmatched, and they lacked the cap space to sign free agents or any high picks to draft a future star.

Gong to the Lakers, he could join forces with Ball, Ingram, Randle and Lopez - given how dominant Lebron is (every team he touches turns in to a contender) that core is probably good enough to make the east semi finals at the very least.  Then next year they have tons of cap space, so they likely sign Paul George (everybody knows he wants to go there).  Now you have Ball, George, Ingram, Randle, Lebron, Lopez, Clarkson and more - that's probably a better team then he had in Cleveland last season and can likely challenge golden state...but the fact that they have those young studs young studs means that as Lopez and Lebron start to decline, those young guys can develop and do more of the heavy lifting - maximising Lebron's championship window.  He could potentially still be competing for titles at 38 years of age as a supporting piece to the Laker's new big 3 of Ball/George/Ingram, well after Golden State's rein in the West has ended.

Now if Thomas can eventually return to last season's from before the end of the year, then the fact that the Cavs added Thomas, plus Crowder (on a cheap long term deal), plus Zizic plus the Brk pick may force him to reconsider and sign for a couple more years.   

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The thinking is that with the Warriors out there, there really isn't any clearly favorable option out there so he might as well go to Los Angeles and finish his career with a historic franchise and in a major market. The Warriors are the clear favorite regardless of where he goes, especially as he ages and they are still in peak form.

He has a lot of business interests in LA and is interested in the entertainment industry. A Lakers team with him, George, Ball, and Ingram might not be championship-caliber, but it would be entertaining and get a lot of publicity. If they wanted to change course due to LeBron coming, they could also easily get something of value for Ingram or Ball.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 12:15:32 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Are the Clips an option?

I actually really like how they have re-structured. Booting Doc from FO, getting Tedosic, Beverly, Dekker, Bird Rights to Lou Williams. So much will hang on Tedosic, and how well he adjusts.

Rivers, Gallo, Harrel as trade bait. Not sure if they can trade next years first rounder protected 15-30, or following years first if not conveyed..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:34:38 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The overhyped London Ball is the reason. Why wouldn't LeBron go to play with the next megastar of the NBA???

In reality, LeBron will only go there if they can sign another max FA to go alongside him, like Paul George. Then sign a guy like Wade for an exception. The Lakers are a long way from freeing up the cap space to do that so they may not even be an option come summertime.

I'm not sure of the cap situation but Dallas might be an interesting option for him. I do think the most likely situation is him remaining in Cleveland for an extra year and then assessing things in 2019

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:15 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think the Lakers rumors are because its a great story - a down and out legendary franchise coming from the ashes to riches with LeBUM !  U could make a movie of it!  And Hollywood is right down the street.

And I don't get the love some people have for the Lakers current roster....ummmm no I don't think they are very good.

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:35:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The only way I see this is if the Lakers can figure out a way to get George, James, and some other star (like Westbrook).  That team would have a realistic shot with 3 stars and James isn't leaving Cleveland to go to a team less likely to even make the Finals.

If James goes the young player route, I maintain the Sixers are far more likely, especially if Embiid can stay relatively healthy this year and Simmons and Fultz look like they might hit their potential.  That would be a nearly identical situation to Cleveland when he went back, except the Sixers have more young pieces and enough cap room to flat out sign him without dumping anyone.  And if the Sixers do dump some players, they could theoretically acquire James and someone else.  Imagine James and Westbrook with Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz, with Saric, Holmes, and Covington on the bench (not to mention they might also have at least one more lottery pick in the next draft).  That team would be set up to win for a decade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 08:38:03 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think the Lakers rumors are because its a great story - a down and out legendary franchise coming from the ashes to riches with LeBUM !  U could make a movie of it!  And Hollywood is right down the street.

And I don't get the love some people have for the Lakers current roster....ummmm no I don't think they are very good.

Yeah, they are pretty bad. If Lebron and George were to sign there, they would have to let Lopez, KCP, and [likely] Randle walk while finding a home (using picks or young players) for Deng. So much for their depth. And, although veterans seem to flock to Lebron wherever he goes, the Warriors and even the Cs would probably be a more desirable destination for aging vets trying to jump on to a contender.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
The only way I see this is if the Lakers can figure out a way to get George, James, and some other star (like Westbrook).  That team would have a realistic shot with 3 stars and James isn't leaving Cleveland to go to a team less likely to even make the Finals.

If James goes the young player route, I maintain the Sixers are far more likely, especially if Embiid can stay relatively healthy this year and Simmons and Fultz look like they might hit their potential.  That would be a nearly identical situation to Cleveland when he went back, except the Sixers have more young pieces and enough cap room to flat out sign him without dumping anyone.  And if the Sixers do dump some players, they could theoretically acquire James and someone else.  Imagine James and Westbrook with Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz, with Saric, Holmes, and Covington on the bench (not to mention they might also have at least one more lottery pick in the next draft).  That team would be set up to win for a decade.

100% agree.  If he goes the young player route, Philly is by far the best option and keeps him in the Eastern Conference.  I dont think he moves to LAL, but if he does, its by multiple stars going there (which would probably mean Lonzo is dealt in a package for one...)

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 09:09:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
LeBron probably signs a min deal with the Warriors. We all know he likes easier roads to rings.

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Do they have the cap space for PG3 and Lebron?

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 09:19:16 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

That's a lot of "if"s.  The only interesting part of this storyline, imo, is that there's currently no clear destination for him. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
cause anybody who is a real coach is not wanting to share their job or loose it to Lebron when things go wrong .   Lakers LOVE drama queen types......perfect fit for that crowd.

He could help most teams ....but he does not want to be just a player , but THE ruler of the team.

Lakers embrace headaches ...he d be right at home.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 10:13:32 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
UNLESS the lakers have a wink-wink nod deal with Paul george to come there, and then go after another star...I dont see the alure of the lakers. their roster stinks and we DONT KNOW what Ball will become. If you add lebron to this years roster do they get by the spurs even?