Author Topic: Tony Allen near signing with Pelicans  (Read 1645 times)

Tony Allen near signing with Pelicans
« on: September 11, 2017, 05:44:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I like the team they are putting together over there a bit.

Sad we couldn't get him for cheap. He is still a good defender for spot minutes.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247381/Tony-Allen-Finalizing-Deal-With-Pelicans

Re: Tony Allen near signing with Pelicans
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Sad we couldn't get him for cheap. He is still a good defender for spot minutes.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247381/Tony-Allen-Finalizing-Deal-With-Pelicans

I don't know -- the offense with Rondo and Allen on the floor at the same time will be very low on shooting.  I like them both, but I don't think they fit well together.

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I don't know -- the offense with Rondo and Allen on the floor at the same time will be very low on shooting.  I like them both, but I don't think they fit well together.

Rondo has improved his 3p shooting for 4 straight seasons and last year shot close to 38% (2 attempts per game). I don't really think the narrative that Rondo is a horrible shooter is accurate anymore and he should get credit for improving that part of his game. He was under 30% from 3 just about his entire career in Boston and has now been over 35% for three straight seasons.

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:53:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Rondo has improved his 3p shooting for 4 straight seasons and last year shot close to 38% (2 attempts per game). I don't really think the narrative that Rondo is a horrible shooter is accurate anymore and he should get credit for improving that part of his game. He was under 30% from 3 just about his entire career in Boston and has not been over 35% for three straight seasons.

That's true, but I still don't think teams respect Rondo's shot enough to open up space for teammates.  He and Tony could collapse things for DMC and Davis.

That said, the Pels could use Tony's toughness, and maybe he convinces RR to play some D.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 06:00:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Rondo has improved his 3p shooting for 4 straight seasons and last year shot close to 38% (2 attempts per game). I don't really think the narrative that Rondo is a horrible shooter is accurate anymore and he should get credit for improving that part of his game. He was under 30% from 3 just about his entire career in Boston and has not been over 35% for three straight seasons.

That's true, but I still don't think teams respect Rondo's shot enough to open up space for teammates.  He and Tony could collapse things for DMC and Davis.

That said, the Pels could use Tony's toughness, and maybe he convinces RR to play some D.

At a minimum Rondo can knock down the open 3 at a respectable clip. Holiday was actually a worse shooter than Rondo last year at 35%. Then Cousins can hit the 3 at 36% and Davis can hit a wide open one. Is it that bad to have one bad shooter in the starting lineup if Allen starts?

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
New Orleans wasting to exploit the space Davis and Cousins provide.

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 06:04:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Rondo has improved his 3p shooting for 4 straight seasons and last year shot close to 38% (2 attempts per game). I don't really think the narrative that Rondo is a horrible shooter is accurate anymore and he should get credit for improving that part of his game. He was under 30% from 3 just about his entire career in Boston and has now been over 35% for three straight seasons.

He is still a player teams can, and will, sag off from when he has the ball.  His improvement in 3s has come primarily from two things -- more of his three-pointers are assisted, and more attempts are from the corner.  Last year 94% of his threes were assisted, compared to 66% for his career, and 48% were from the corner (of which he made 44%), compared to only attempting 27% of his threes from the corner for his career.  The numbers were most striking last year, but on the whole they've been trending that way for a few seasons.

So when Rondo is off the ball, the defense needs to not lose him in the corner.  While that's more dangerous than the alternative, it does not make him a player who is likely to punish you shooting if you can contain that one strength.

I'm a big Rondo fan, and still wear my Rondo shirt with pride, but he's not a weapon from 3 -- he's just improved his shot selection.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:04:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Rondo and TA teaming up again in the backcourt, just like the old Doc Rivers pre-KG era Celtics. Wait, that was an ugly season for the Celtics!

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Rondo / Allen / Davis / Cousins with Omar Asik as a backup - I think some loyalties are going to be tested around here

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Rondo and Allen each played 27min last season.  I don't think they'll be on the court together all that much.  They also have E'twaun Moore and Ian Clark.  With their decidedly limited options at SF, they may end up playing 3 guards a lot. 

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 06:32:03 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

He is still a player teams can, and will, sag off from when he has the ball.  His improvement in 3s has come primarily from two things -- more of his three-pointers are assisted, and more attempts are from the corner.  Last year 94% of his threes were assisted, compared to 66% for his career, and 48% were from the corner (of which he made 44%), compared to only attempting 27% of his threes from the corner for his career.  The numbers were most striking last year, but on the whole they've been trending that way for a few seasons.

So when Rondo is off the ball, the defense needs to not lose him in the corner.  While that's more dangerous than the alternative, it does not make him a player who is likely to punish you shooting if you can contain that one strength.

I'm a big Rondo fan, and still wear my Rondo shirt with pride, but he's not a weapon from 3 -- he's just improved his shot selection.
Playing with Cousins, Davis and Holiday is a much better fit for Rondo than was Butler and Wade.  I'd expect him to have even better opportunities.  He doesn't need to be a weapon from 3.  He just needs to be able to make the shot when he is open. 

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 07:00:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

They wont likely play together

Either Rondo and holiday

Or allen and holiday

Dont forget about E'twuan Moore

Another former Celtic

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 08:34:44 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
A nice pickup for the Pelicans. 

I think they could actually start Allen at SF in today's undersized NBA.  With a lineup of Rondo, Holiday, Allen, Davis and Cousins that's actually a pretty strong starting 5.  Should be really tough defensively.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the offensive side.  With Holiday, Davis and Cousins all out there on the floor, hey really wouldn't need a whole lot of offense from Rondo or Allen.   

That is assuming Allen can still play.  I haven't seen him play in years, so not sure how much he still has in the tank to be honest.   

Pelicans are running out of excuses though this year.  They don't have an elite team, but they have a pretty solid group of guys around AD and DMC.  If they can't AT LEAST make the playoffs this year, that might be serious alarm bells for Davis and Cousins.  People are quick to point fingers at Cousins for his lack of wins in Sacramento, but the Pelicans have been similarly woeful since Davis arrived there too which many people seem to give him a free pass on. 

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 09:08:19 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Toughness is good for a younger team like this. Good move.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 09:09:41 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Where is the shooting in that lineup?

Cant help but think that this team is going to be an absolute trainwreck in today's NBA.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?