Author Topic: We are actually a better defensive team!!!  (Read 7979 times)

Re: We are actually a better defensive team!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rebounding (which has gotten worse this year) 

Really what stat are you basing this off?   So did you just make this up?   Is there some hidden stat that you're basing this statement on?  Is it just your opinion?

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/total-rebounds-per-game

49.5 Rebounds per game last year which was 26th in the league.  This year is 54.4 Rebounds per game, we are eighth in the league right now.  So how are we worse?

The internet is a wonderful thing to look up stats and call people on their blatant falsehoods.

I love our increased athleticism and length.   It makes us better in transition D, bothers shot attempts and makes the passing lanes hazardous.

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Here is what an offensive talent like Kyrie Irving did to your super duper defensive team full of all nba defensive gurus last year  :

https://youtu.be/nmVIGXp2GYY

Last years team looks slow and short compared to this years team.

Last years team was slow and short compared to this years.

We're 4th in Defensive Rebounding, and third in Defensive Rating.  Early still, but I like what we're seeing.

Drog FTW.

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2017, 06:21:51 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Here is what an offensive talent like Kyrie Irving did to your super duper defensive team full of all nba defensive gurus last year  :

https://youtu.be/nmVIGXp2GYY

Last years team looks slow and short compared to this years team.

Yep.  Whether the end result is better is yet to be seen but this team is clearly bigger and more athletic.

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
height goes a long way.

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2017, 09:04:07 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I was noticing during the first few games - we are better on D because we have taller guys playing at the guard spots.  I've always felt that if Kyrie played tough he'd be fine on D and he is.  Brad demands this of his players.  You can't teach height and when your 2 starting guards are 5-9 and 6-2 that's not good. Now with Kyrie (I think 6-3) and Jaylen (6-6?) we're much better as long as they stay in front - which to me means to pay attention and try .....and Brad for make them do this.  And Baynes..wow!  Haven't had a guy in the paint like Baynes since when Perk was healthy.

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2017, 09:15:01 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I was noticing during the first few games - we are better on D because we have taller guys playing at the guard spots.  I've always felt that if Kyrie played tough he'd be fine on D and he is.  Brad demands this of his players.  You can't teach height and when your 2 starting guards are 5-9 and 6-2 that's not good. Now with Kyrie (I think 6-3) and Jaylen (6-6?) we're much better as long as they stay in front - which to me means to pay attention and try .....and Brad for make them do this.  And Baynes..wow!  Haven't had a guy in the paint like Baynes since when Perk was healthy.

Thing about Baynes that I like is he is not a liability on offense. He has a nice touch around the rim and can shoot mid range and freethrows.

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2017, 07:08:03 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
If we just take a look at last season, and remind ourselves that Bradley was our best rebounder, it is more than obviuos that we cannot be worse than last year.

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2017, 10:43:47 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
I know it's early but curious to know what Roy and Nick think of our defense so far this year...?

As for Kyrie vs IT on defense, hope Uncle Drew can maintain this level of effort and I would very easily win this argument:

https://twitter.com/Timi_093/status/924642841154015234

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I have been saying since before the season the difference between Kyrie and IT would be substantial.  And Baynes is very good on D.   8)

The rebounding is also way better.  I think a lot of Celtics fans were so used to being undersized they forgot you could not do that and be good at rebounding.  Hyping up AB rebounding for example when he was just snagging loose balls and easy rebounds more than really boxing guys out and controlling the glass (to be fair, AB is just about as good as anyone can be for his size, but that's the point). Some of you guys are still in shock watching it.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I know it's early but curious to know what Roy and Nick think of our defense so far this year...?

As for Kyrie vs IT on defense, hope Uncle Drew can maintain this level of effort and I would very easily win this argument:

So far, I was wrong. I'll admit that. Never expected Tatum, Kyrie or Brown to be playing at the defensive level that they are. Horford is playing better defense than last year as well. And the defensive rebounding has been well beyond what I expected.

One caveat, they haven't played any really good offensive teams thus far. Not one team they played has a good three point game.

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2017, 11:37:33 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday

So far, I was wrong. I'll admit that. Never expected Tatum, Kyrie or Brown to be playing at the defensive level that they are. Horford is playing better defense than last year as well. And the defensive rebounding has been well beyond what I expected.

One caveat, they haven't played any really good offensive teams thus far. Not one team they played has a good three point game.

Yes that's true.

We will learn a lot more about our defense on monday night against the spurs.

But at least we can all say :

- Our defensive strategy is SOUND
- Players are trying HARD
- Athleticism and length is an upgrade and it IS helping,
-  Baynes provides toughness down low (less fouling out of despair, by getting killed by lowpost scorers like monroe, howard, embid, etc...)
- We are a better rebounding team than last year
- Kyrie is less of a defensive liability than IT...

I know it's still early but I'm relatively confident the points above will hold true this year.

I truly believe that with Hayward not inkured and a good pick up before the trade deadline we would be 6-0 on our way to a competitive NBA finals lost against the warriors...

Kyrie and Tatum confirmed what I thought they could be defensively, the one I can't wait to brag about is once Semi prove to be as good (if not better) than Crowder defensively.

« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Irving is buying in (still room to improve) much like Evan turner did.  Brown has been very impressive, two headed monster smart and rozier as expected.  Horford looking like he'll be getting votes for dpy.   But BAYNES has been very very impressive.  Liked his game few times i saw him last year but he really fits well with team.  A complete player not just a banger.  Solid jump shot, good passer, good rebounder, great at blocking out his man and as scal said over and over last night he goes up straight to deter drives.  Pretty psyched and we are still gelling.

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2017, 11:10:49 PM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
At the 20 games mark of the season, fair to say we are by far a better defensive team.

Length matters, sound defensive system matters too.

So happy to have a bruiser so that we dont get humiliated down low by that low post scoring bigs.

Rebounding is a huge part of the defense, happy to see we are a much better rebounding team.