Author Topic: There's only one untouchable...  (Read 5228 times)

There's only one untouchable...
« on: September 10, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
... and his name is Terry.

Terry Rozier has been the subject of trade interest during his time with the Boston Celtics, but Danny Ainge has so far resisted including him any deals.

Rozier was reportedly a sticking point in several rumored trades.

Rozier was asked if he was ever worried the Celtics would trade him this summer as they have reshaped their roster.

"Nah, Danny won't trade me," said Rozier with a laugh.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247371/Terry-Rozier-Was-Confident-Celtics-Wouldnt-Trade-Him

Hat tip to Phantom255x for the inspiration for the thread. Terry's quote cracked me up.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:37:23 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: There's only one untouchable...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:15:21 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Probably true.  An undersized guard with major holes in his game + an inflated sense of his ability = a DA love-child. 

If he reaches all-star status, though, he'll be dangled in every trade negotiation possible. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
LOL at first I saw the meme and was like, "wait a minute.. isn't this mine" but then I read the rest of the post.  :laugh:

It is amazing that after all this, Rozier has 'survived' and is still on the team, especially when he's always dangled in as "trade filler" on most trade ideas here.  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:19:30 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
LOL at first I saw the meme and was like, "wait a minute.. isn't this mine" but then I read the rest of the post.  :laugh:

It is amazing that after all this, Rozier has 'survived' and is still on the team, especially when he's always dangled in as "trade filler" on most trade ideas here.  :P

Danny has always valued change of pace combo guards to come in and stop runs before they get out of hand.

We saw it a lot in the Wizards series where Wall and Beal would start carving the team up and Rozier would steal the momentum right back with a quick 3 once they would sub out for rest. It put Jennings and the rest of their bench in disarray since they were giving away the lead the starters built and forced Wall and Beal back in faster than they probably should have.

I think Bradley was originally drafted for this role but his continued improvement moved him to the starting line-up. Terry is right in that sweet spot right now and I think will be resigned to a fair contract for both sides.

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:29:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If he reaches all-star status, though, he'll be dangled in every trade negotiation possible.

There's some truth in this for sure - Danny loves to sell or cut bait on guys right as they've reached their full potential, whatever that is.  If he feels that Rozier isn't going to improve much more he'll probably be a lot more willing to move him.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Is Rozier being a poor mans Kyrie a reach?  I really believe their style of play and mentality  is similar.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

There's some truth in this for sure - Danny loves to sell or cut bait on guys right as they've reached their full potential, whatever that is.  If he feels that Rozier isn't going to improve much more he'll probably be a lot more willing to move him.

He has successfully adopted the 'sell high/buy low' Rusted Rims strategy. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Is Rozier being a poor mans Kyrie a reach?  I really believe their style of play and mentality  is similar.
is that a reach?  Flex Armstrong couldn't make that kind of a reach

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

If anything, Rozier is a scoring version of Rondo. Both are terrific rebounders with great defensive upsides. Not to mention, both have shown tenacity on the court, especially in the playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 09:28:49 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

He's really nothing at all like Kyrie.  Almost two completely different players.

Personality wise Rozier has a tough, physical mentality - closer to Marcus Smart then he is to Kyrie.  He has an extremely high motor - always plays extremely hard on defence, frequently fights for rebounds in traffic over bigs, dives for every loose ball, etc.

Rozier is also a very wiling passer - at times I sometimes feel he's TOO unselfish - when he's on the court with higher profile players he often defers and passes off the ball, even if he has a mismatch or an open lane.   I get the impression that he's trying too hard to not affect the status quo and to try and be a good teammate, not step on the toes of his fellow star Celtics.  When the star players sit you can see his mentality change, and he starts to play much more aggressively (and tends to do better as a result). 

Physically he is lightning quick, incredibly fast in the open floor, very strong (physically) and likes to play above the rim when the opportunity presents itself.

By comparison Kyrie shows little motor - rarely plays with effort on defence, rarely ever chases down a loose ball, never see him battling for rebounds.  He's never seen a shot he doesn't like and any time he has a decent shot he's likely to take it rather then pass it.  Physically he's not a standout run/jump athlete, although he is very quick (stopping on a dime, chancing direction, changing speeds, etc) and tends to use that combined with his ball handling to get by people.  Plays almost exclusively below the rim.

Only similarities I really see are that both guys tend to elevate their game during the big moments, both are super clucth, and both can score in a variety of ways (though Kyrie is a much better shooter).  Also neither is a traditional pass-first PG.   

Otherwise, I think these are very different players.  I'd consider Rozier to be more like a poor man's Derrick Rose (before the injuries), but with a better three point shot and greater defensive potential.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 10:17:02 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

He's really nothing at all like Kyrie.  Almost two completely different players.

Personality wise Rozier has a tough, physical mentality - closer to Marcus Smart then he is to Kyrie.  He has an extremely high motor - always plays extremely hard on defence, frequently fights for rebounds in traffic over bigs, dives for every loose ball, etc.

Rozier is also a very wiling passer - at times I sometimes feel he's TOO unselfish - when he's on the court with higher profile players he often defers and passes off the ball, even if he has a mismatch or an open lane.   I get the impression that he's trying too hard to not affect the status quo and to try and be a good teammate, not step on the toes of his fellow star Celtics.  When the star players sit you can see his mentality change, and he starts to play much more aggressively (and tends to do better as a result). 

Physically he is lightning quick, incredibly fast in the open floor, very strong (physically) and likes to play above the rim when the opportunity presents itself.

By comparison Kyrie shows little motor - rarely plays with effort on defence, rarely ever chases down a loose ball, never see him battling for rebounds.  He's never seen a shot he doesn't like and any time he has a decent shot he's likely to take it rather then pass it.  Physically he's not a standout run/jump athlete, although he is very quick (stopping on a dime, chancing direction, changing speeds, etc) and tends to use that combined with his ball handling to get by people.  Plays almost exclusively below the rim.

Only similarities I really see are that both guys tend to elevate their game during the big moments, both are super clucth, and both can score in a variety of ways (though Kyrie is a much better shooter).  Also neither is a traditional pass-first PG.   

Otherwise, I think these are very different players.  I'd consider Rozier to be more like a poor man's Derrick Rose (before the injuries), but with a better three point shot and greater defensive potential.

A frank, seven paragraph dissertation  on whether Terry Rozier's game more closely resembles current Kyrie Irving or MVP level Derrick Rose.

Ahhh... Celtic's Blog... How I love thee.

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

By extension, would that make him a poor man's short Kobe?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 12:20:55 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

A frank, seven paragraph dissertation  on whether Terry Rozier's game more closely resembles current Kyrie Irving or MVP level Derrick Rose.

Ahhh... Celtic's Blog... How I love thee.

Nothing wrong with that.

Nobody is saying he's anywhere near as good as either of those two guys - to highlight certain characteristics of him that resembles characteristics of those guys, nothing wrong with that. 

It's like saying a Miata is closer to a poor man's Lotus Elise then it a poor man's Mercedes SL63. One is a lightweight and relatively affordable sports car that relies on "less is more" principle to make it a swift and fun drivers car.  The other is a 2-tonne luxury roadster that has every luxury and a whopping huge.  An MX-5 can't even dream of touching an Elise on a track or competing with the Merc on luxury or straight line grunt - but you can still clearly see that is philosophically a lot more like one then it is like the other. 

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 12:39:29 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Terry, Terry baby :laugh:

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 02:15:52 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Of course Danny won't trade him. He's the second-longest-tenured member of the team.