Author Topic: Report: CP3 told Celtics and Warriors he wouldn't re-sign in '11  (Read 2697 times)

Report: CP3 told Celtics and Warriors he wouldn't re-sign in '11
« on: September 09, 2017, 01:19:30 PM »

Offline thatruthb34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 20
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247367/Chris-Paul-Told-Celtics-Warriors-He-Wouldnt-Re-Sign-During-2011-Trade-Talks

Woj says he had concerns about the Big 3 and their age. Too bad he wouldn't come, it would have been fun to see him play with the Big 3. Aging or not, I think it would have extended our window if he was healthy.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 01:24:47 PM by thatruthb34 »

Re: Report: CP3 told Celtics and Warriors he wouldn't re-sign in '11
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Good thing he didn't. No Brooklyn trade if he did.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »

Offline thatruthb34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 20
True that. Guess you could look at it either way.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 01:47:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
CP3 still didn't get to the Western Conference Finals with the Clippers.

But I'm cool with that. Got the Brooklyn picks that eventually turned out to be Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, and Kyrie Irving.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 02:30:15 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

But on the other hand, could we have beaten the Heat with CP3 instead of Rondo in 2011 or 2012?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 02:38:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

But on the other hand, could we have beaten the Heat with CP3 instead of Rondo in 2011 or 2012?

'11?  No.

'12 is an intriguing although Rondo was the C's best player that playoff run. How much better could CP3 have really played than Rondo did?  It would've been extremely tough to do better.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 02:38:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
CP3 still didn't get to the Western Conference Finals with the Clippers.

But I'm cool with that. Got the Brooklyn picks that eventually turned out to be Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, and Kyrie Irving.
brown Tatum Irving and laker18

We got a 3 elite prospects and a superstar.. Ill take it

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 02:38:47 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
You guys know Rondo wasn't involved in that Brooklyn trade right?  Theoretically, the C's could have traded for Paul and still made the Brooklyn trade 2 years later.  Especially if Paul was true to his word and didn't re-sign with the C's, I'd have to think the Brooklyn trade is still likely to happen.

IIRC, Paul had 2 years left on his contract at the time of the trade, but the last year was a player option.  So maybe that nice playoff run in 2012 convinces Paul to opt in, maybe it even results in another championship.  If he opts in and leaves after 2013, that Brooklyn trade is probably more likely to happen.  If he opts out after 2012 though, maybe Pierce and KG's decline is a little more exposed and maybe Brooklyn doesn't offer as much?

I wonder if Paul would have made a difference in 2012.  The C's already took LeBron and the Heat to 7 games with Rondo, and Rondo arguably had the better playoffs of the two, that 44 point game, 4 triple doubles, etc., but Paul was still the better player, and maybe playing with Paul instead of Rondo would have rejuvenated Ray a little?

With Paul, the C's likely have a better record in 2012 and the Clippers have a worse record (C's had their pick).  So instead of picking #21 and #22, maybe they're picking somewhere between #10-#15 (still wouldn't amount to crap unless Danny traded it), and #24-#30, and supposedly Draymond Green was on the C's board right after Sully...  Oh yeah, and remember how David West was supposed to sign here too.  Maybe now he actually does.

I guess worse case scenario is Paul re-signs, we still have Doc as a coach, Paul still just forced the trade to Houston now, and the C's have no additional rings to show for it.  A good case though, the C's got another ring in 2012, and they still made the Brooklyn trade in '13. And then I can think of million alternative cases where Danny is able to re-tool around Chris Paul and Draymond Green, and who knows what that results in, especially without that Golden State superpower out there. Maybe Durant actually signed here as a free agent!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 02:54:07 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 02:44:54 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

'11?  No.

'12 is an intriguing although Rondo was the C's best player that playoff run. How much better could CP3 have really played than Rondo did?  It would've been extremely tough to do better.

I assume '11 wasn't even an option because Paul was traded after the '11 season.  It all really comes down to if the team would have performed better with Paul than peak playoff Rondo in '12.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

'11?  No.

I assume '11 wasn't even an option because Paul was traded after the '11 season.  It all really comes down to if the team would have performed better with Paul than peak playoff Rondo in '12.

Which I'm pretty skeptical of.  Rondo was in peak form then.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I personally think rondo was a better PG than paul at that time.

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 04:41:10 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

'11?  No.

CP3 would not have stopped supersaiyan LeBron James in Game 6. Don't forget Game 2 was rigged in Miami's favor. The Celtics should have won that game.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm glad CP3 never played for Boston. He's a good player, but he lacks that certain something, that intangible greatness, that champions have.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
My take from this is that, here we are 6 years later, and we learn of stuff like this.  Not sure but I wouldn't doubt Danny was catching Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. for not making this trade.  Hey, Danny can't force people to want to play with the C's.  There's all kinds of bullEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. behind the scenes preventing him from making trades !  Think back to all the bs about the Paul George and Jimmy Butler trades - u just never know...until maybe 6 years later.