Author Topic: Why the Celtics won the Kyrie Irving trade  (Read 16609 times)

Re: Why the Celtics won the Kyrie Irving trade
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
The real question is "Are we good enough to win a championship?".

SPOILER: no

Are we closer

SPOILER:   Yes

TP

« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Celts got an all-star and the Cavs potentially got two all-stars.

And potentially none.
No, IT is an all star, thats a fact.
yet he isn't able to run and is rumored to have a degenerative hip condition

It could just be me, but it seems like Celtics fans were all "Isaiah's fine" pre-trade, and "He's toast" post-trade. ;)

Not untrue.

But, during trade negotiations, we also went from thinking IT would be available for the start of the season to possibly not playing until March (or even longer!).

I think all of us are thankful for what IT has done for the franchise the last couple of years, but many are also happy we have a younger, (hopefully) healthier version of his best [season] in Kyrie for the next 7+ years. The BKN pick is a tough pill to swallow, but if IT turns out to not even be an asset, then I think we made out pretty well.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:40:23 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

And potentially none.

It could just be me, but it seems like Celtics fans were all "Isaiah's fine" pre-trade, and "He's toast" post-trade. ;)

Not untrue.

But, during trade negotiations, we also went from thinking IT would be available for the start of the season to possibly not playing until March (or even longer!).

I think all of us are thankful for what IT has done for the franchise the last couple of years, but many are also happy we have a younger, (hopefully) healthier version of his best [season] in Kyrie for the next 7+ years. The BKN pick is a tough pill to swallow, but if turns out to not even be an asset, then I think we made out pretty well.

TP.  Plus, the fact that Celtics fans "were all "Isaiah's fine" pre-trade, and "He's toast" post-trade" is more of just proof that Danny is a great GM.  Most other FOs would have had a leak

« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

And potentially none.

Not untrue.

I think all of us are thankful for what IT has done for the franchise the last couple of years, but many are also happy we have a younger, (hopefully) healthier version of his best [season] in Kyrie for the next 7+ years. The BKN pick is a tough pill to swallow, but if turns out to not even be an asset, then I think we made out pretty well.

TP.  Plus, the fact that Celtics fans "were all "Isaiah's fine" pre-trade, and "He's toast" post-trade" is more of just proof that Danny is a great GM.  Most other FOs would have had a leak

Or, respectfully, it's just a collective cognitive dissonance.  If your GM can do no wrong, it's pretty easy to shape your perspective to align with his decisions.  I imagine quite a few Celtics fans fall into this camp.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2017, 08:57:01 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

And potentially none.

Not untrue.

Or, respectfully, it's just a collective cognitive dissonance.  If your GM can do no wrong, it's pretty easy to shape your perspective to align with his decisions.  I imagine quite a few Celtics fans fall into this camp.

Prior to trade, sources are telling that Isaiah will be able to play earlier this year. But once the deal was done, Cavs asked for a compensation because they predicted he will be out maybe until the all-star break which means the injury might be more serious than we initially thought.

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

And potentially none.

Not untrue.

Prior to trade, sources are telling that Isaiah will be able to play earlier this year. But once the deal was done, Cavs asked for a compensation because they predicted he will be out maybe until the all-star break which means the injury might be more serious than we initially thought.

Yeah, it's certainly possible.  But, I think it's also possible that CLE was negotiating to squeeze more assets out of the BOS, and in that case, his medical status may or may not have had anything to do with it. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2017, 09:16:58 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It really doesn't matter who "won" the trade. Success is measured individually and in comparison to expectations.

If you measure the success of trades based on whether it makes you a true contender, you're going to be disappointed 99% of the time. We were never one move away from being as good as Golden State, which is the same situation almost all the teams in the league find themselves right now. Golden State has raised the bar so high that teams with three stars aren't even competitive with them. That's not a typical situation when you look at history and what it usually takes talent-wise to have a shot at a title.

Ainge basically kicked the can down the road slightly while still making the team better for this season so they will still be competitive in case something unexpected happens (a star becomes available, injuries to other teams, etc.).

« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!

Are we closer

SPOILER:   Yes

We're about the same. We were 1 star away from legitimately competing for Banner 18 before the trade and we are still 1 star away after the trade. Plus Kyrie is going to have to do a ton to replicate what Isaiah did for us last season (including distributing the ball better and limiting turnovers).

I'm rooting for Irving to take that leap with CBS as his coach (leap to the likes of Harden/Westbrook, even Curry), but I do have some doubts.

Plus we overpayed by including Nets Pick and Zizic (who many experts said would have been Top-10 in the most previous Draft 3 months ago).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2017, 11:09:17 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

And potentially none.

I don't think I gave much thought at all about his health.  I guess I wasn't really paying attention.  But even if healthy, there was certainly a healthy debate about paying IT max money long term.  I certainly was not convinced about paying him.  I have no such doubts about paying kyrie.

« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2017, 06:27:25 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
It really doesn't matter who "won" the trade. Success is measured individually and in comparison to expectations.

If you measure the success of trades based on whether it makes you a true contender, you're going to be disappointed 99% of the time. We were never one move away from being as good as Golden State, which is the same situation almost all the teams in the league find themselves right now. Golden State has raised the bar so high that teams with three stars aren't even competitive with them. That's not a typical situation when you look at history and what it usually takes talent-wise to have a shot at a title.

Ainge basically kicked the can down the road slightly while still making the team better for this season so they will still be competitive in case something unexpected happens (a star becomes available, injuries to other teams, etc.).

Oh, excuse me, but if you finished last season with the best record in the east, trade away your all-star PG, hold the #1 pick in a supposedly loaded draft, and invest another pick (potential value: sky high, estimated value: sky high, real value: TBD), then yes, I expect you to be a contender.

Losing to the Cavs in the ECF again, or getting swept by whoever comes out of the west is 100%, definitely, unequivocally not a success, it's a failure of the highest magnitude.

Fingers crossed, eh?

In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is too early to tell until we see the season unfold.

All this talk is nothing once the games starts then we can see.

« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2017, 08:51:46 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

That's an astute point, because this poster does seem disappointed 99% of the time.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:38 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Oh, excuse me, but if you finished last season with the best record in the east, trade away your all-star PG, hold the #1 pick in a supposedly loaded draft, and invest another pick (potential value: sky high, estimated value: sky high, real value: TBD), then yes, I expect you to be a contender.

Losing to the Cavs in the ECF again, or getting swept by whoever comes out of the west is 100%, definitely, unequivocally not a success, it's a failure of the highest magnitude.

Fingers crossed, eh?

Really? So what one move would you have made to make us a contender if you were GM?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07