Author Topic: Why the Celtics won the Kyrie Irving trade  (Read 16497 times)

Re: Why the Celtics won the Kyrie Irving trade
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We won the trade because we got a player who is younger and better.

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 05:44:51 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
We won the trade because we got a player who is younger and better.

I really don't understand the logic that the team that gets the best player automatically wins the trade (any trade for that matter). And I've heard it from NUMEROUS people and media reporters/experts too.

So if say, the Pelicans traded Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, most of their bench and 2 future 1st rounders for Lebron James, does that mean Pelicans win the trade because they got back the best player in the entire thing?

It's not like the Celtics JUST gave up Isaiah in the trade (who is injured, yes, but good chance he'll return when it matters - 2nd half and playoffs).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 06:10:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Zizic has not played a NBA game is  so young and his outside game doesn't exist at this time
At his age and experience he will be foul prone
Isaiah is out, the draft is next year and crowder shot well but was taking minutes from hayward ,tatum,brown-he might have instigated some problems he couldn't win-
semi can be as good as crowder shoots the three,better lateral,more vertical a has work ethic and high character-did i forget defensive DNA
This trade favors Boston in near and intermediate time span

If iIT had stayed and was hurt most of season-the celts would certainly be worse off ,if he comes back damaged and asked for brinks truck next season -that was it

We got a superstar with playoff experience that has chemistry with hayward,younger and just set free.Now with Brad as his coach after 3 Lebron puppets
-A four times all star, playoff finals three times-clutch,best ball handler in league and able to jell with a whole new cast of players

Wait what, @rollie didn't you start the "KILL THE DEAL" thread like a few weeks ago?  :P

Rollie always does that. Every C's player is always the answer (see Jerebko, Green, Zizic) until they're no longer on the team and someone else becomes the new answer (see Theis, Semi, Morris). Those green glasses are extra think. I do agree with him that we won the trade. However, he did want to kill the trade AFTER the Cavs had issues with Thomas' physical.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:20:31 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 06:29:46 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
The Celts got an all-star and the Cavs potentially got two all-stars.

And potentially none.
No, IT is an all star, thats a fact.
yet he isn't able to run and is rumored to have a degenerative hip condition
But is he an all star though?
He is not an all-star when he's not on the court.
Nope still an all star. When you’ve made the last 2 all star games, you are an all star. Simply a fact. You can call him hurt, or declining, or not a max guy, but he is an all star, just like he is an NBA player and his name is Isaiah. Those are all facts.

He was an all-star.

When you acquire a player - either via FA or trade - it doesn't matter what he has done in the past, only what he does for your team. If people are confident that IT will make another all-star team, then more power to them, but I think everybody can admit that he won't be an all-star for the Cavs this season.
So I guess Kyrie isn’t an all star, he was an all star. Same with Paul George. And Chris Paul. And Jimmy Butler.

If IT doesn’t make the all star team this upcoming year, thats fine. But he is just as much an all star right now as any of the players I just listed.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

And potentially none.

Actually former All Star. He wont be one this year unless he comes back by late Nov and tears it up.

I don't think we can really say who won this one yet We haven't seen what Irving can do in Stevens system. IT, who knows if he will be back to full strength, and if it's arthritis and cartilage damages like some reports have said, he's going to struggle to get even close to what he was. Which sucks, because the dude deserved a big pay day.

We don't even know what the pick is. I remember people posting videos of Randle in highschool and everyone drooling over him. Now, meh. Smart if he gets a consistent out side shot, may have the better career. Differently the better attitude. This is why I'm not super excited yet about these bigs. In highscholl they SHOULD be able to dominate. They have 6 inches or more on most of the other teams players. Last season everyone wanted Simmons, but I was in the Brown camp. Saw his measurements and looked him up. Watched a couple video's were Browns team went up against a Simmons team, and Brown just looked way better.

Now we haven't really seen Simmons play, but Brown has looked really good, and some times you could see that "IT" factor. Just needs to put it together. Tatum the same thing. I Liked Ball, until I saw he didn't shoot well inside the 3pt line, and once the #1 pick came up, started to look at Fultz. I liked him, but some thing was off about him. Something missing mentally. But he's young and could put it all together. But when Dicky V said Boston was going to take Tatum, looked into him more, and he had that PP vib about him. Again, he's got to put it together, but trainer Drew Hanlen who trained Beal and David Lee said that Tatum was one of the most ready for the NBA with his skill set.

And also, the CAVS are the team that picked Anthony Bennett #1. :)

This trade really could go either way. There is a small part of me that wants to see IT return to form this year, and with Crowder win the whole thing....But after that F the CAVS and hope the never win again. :)
See post directly above.

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 06:51:20 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

And potentially none.
Nope still an all star. When you’ve made the last 2 all star games, you are an all star. Simply a fact. You can call him hurt, or declining, or not a max guy, but he is an all star, just like he is an NBA player and his name is Isaiah. Those are all facts.

He was an all-star.

When you acquire a player - either via FA or trade - it doesn't matter what he has done in the past, only what he does for your team. If people are confident that IT will make another all-star team, then more power to them, but I think everybody can admit that he won't be an all-star for the Cavs this season.
So I guess Kyrie isn’t an all star, he was an all star. Same with Paul George. And Chris Paul. And Jimmy Butler.

If IT doesn’t make the all star team this upcoming year, thats fine. But he is just as much an all star right now as any of the players I just listed.
Play the words as you want but a guy who can't even run isn't a all star

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2017, 06:53:28 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

And potentially none.

He was an all-star.

exactly. its all semantics. i dont want a guy who cant run and still wants a max contract on the wrong side of 30

so glad we got kyrie and another team didnt. and the cavs lost him.

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

And potentially none.

Actually former All Star. He wont be one this year unless he comes back by late Nov and tears it up.

I don't think we can really say who won this one yet We haven't seen what Irving can do in Stevens system. IT, who knows if he will be back to full strength, and if it's arthritis and cartilage damages like some reports have said, he's going to struggle to get even close to what he was. Which sucks, because the dude deserved a big pay day.

We don't even know what the pick is. I remember people posting videos of Randle in highschool and everyone drooling over him. Now, meh. Smart if he gets a consistent out side shot, may have the better career. Differently the better attitude. This is why I'm not super excited yet about these bigs. In highscholl they SHOULD be able to dominate. They have 6 inches or more on most of the other teams players. Last season everyone wanted Simmons, but I was in the Brown camp. Saw his measurements and looked him up. Watched a couple video's were Browns team went up against a Simmons team, and Brown just looked way better.

Now we haven't really seen Simmons play, but Brown has looked really good, and some times you could see that "IT" factor. Just needs to put it together. Tatum the same thing. I Liked Ball, until I saw he didn't shoot well inside the 3pt line, and once the #1 pick came up, started to look at Fultz. I liked him, but some thing was off about him. Something missing mentally. But he's young and could put it all together. But when Dicky V said Boston was going to take Tatum, looked into him more, and he had that PP vib about him. Again, he's got to put it together, but trainer Drew Hanlen who trained Beal and David Lee said that Tatum was one of the most ready for the NBA with his skill set.

This trade really could go either way. There is a small part of me that wants to see IT return to form this year, and with Crowder win the whole thing....But after that F the CAVS and hope the never win again. :)
See post directly above.

I did, and thats why the response "former" All Star.

IT was an All Star last two years, and IF healthy, you could say the CAVS were getting one. But since he may not be the same as he was( again if reports are true for worse case) the CAVS will not be getting an All Star but former All Star.

It's like signing Dwight Howard and saying he's an All Star. Hasn't been one since 2014, and plays nothing like an All Star now. It drives me nuts when people say Horford is an All Star. Nope former.

I see "All Stars" as guys who have made it for the last few years and if they don't get injured have several more to go with out doubt. Like Curry, he'll be one for the next 5+ years if he stays healthy. Even a Healthy IT has one ore two more left.

I mean BJ Armstrong was an All Star, but I wouldn't put him under the "All Star" caliber player category.

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2017, 07:28:16 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

And potentially none.

He was an all-star.

Not playing any words. A guy who has made the last two all star games is an all star. Just stating a fact. We don’t know whether IT can run right now though, so the only one playing any words would be you.

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

And potentially none.
And, they may not even resign him if he's healthy.  The difference value between Kyrie and IT is significant.

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2017, 07:32:15 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

And potentially none.

See post directly above.

I did, and thats why the response "former" All Star.

IT was an All Star last two years, and IF healthy, you could say the CAVS were getting one. But since he may not be the same as he was( again if reports are true for worse case) the CAVS will not be getting an All Star but former All Star.

It's like signing Dwight Howard and saying he's an All Star. Hasn't been one since 2014, and plays nothing like an All Star now. It drives me nuts when people say Horford is an All Star. Nope former.

I see "All Stars" as guys who have made it for the last few years and if they don't get injured have several more to go with out doubt. Like Curry, he'll be one for the next 5+ years if he stays healthy. Even a Healthy IT has one ore two more left.

I mean BJ Armstrong was an All Star, but I wouldn't put him under the "All Star" caliber player category.
And like I said, that means Kyrie is a “former” all star. And PG13. And CP3. And Jimmy Butler. Because they have done just as much for their new teams as IT has.

It’s not at all like Dwight Howard. Like you said, Dwight hasn’t been an all star for years. IT played at the most recent all star game. And the one before that. If he doesn’t make the all star team this year then you can say he’s not an all star anymore, but until that actually happens, he is just as much an all star as anyone else.

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2017, 07:33:19 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

And potentially none.
And, they may not even resign him if he's healthy.  The difference value between Kyrie and IT is significant.
Not debating that at all. But to say IT isn’t an all star is simply wrong. It is fiction.

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think it's wrong to keep referring to a guy doesn't make all NBA teams as a superstar.

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2017, 08:55:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I think it's wrong to keep referring to a guy doesn't make all NBA teams as a superstar.

But he does a lot of cute things with the ball...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:00:16 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 09:02:56 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

And potentially none.
Not debating that at all. But to say IT isn’t an all star is simply wrong. It is fiction.

All star is an honorific title that an individual keeps nearly for life. Like being a senator or ambassador or whatever. But, say, Ainge was (somehow) an all star once. It didn't put him on MJ's level to describe them both as allstar players. There are a lot of allstars, and quite a few players seem to only make a few.

Once retired, it becomes x-time all star in the accomplishments and accolades list.

Players aren't better or worse due to the title, but perhaps refs are more generous to one than the other?

Any way, though, IT might not play enough games to make it this year. Or minutes, as managing wear and tear might be the critical piece for his career longevity. Kyrie is a near lock to be a 2018 allstar.