Author Topic: theis high scorer germany v france  (Read 6051 times)

Re: theis high scorer germany v france
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
I like Theis. IMO he is better placed to earn minutes in our rotation than Yabusele or Ojeleye.

Having said this, don't put too much stock in Eurobasket stats, the Euroleague is more reliable.

Do you think That Danny is counting on Theis as the 3rd center, or BIG, off the bench?

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 02:39:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I like Theis. IMO he is better placed to earn minutes in our rotation than Yabusele or Ojeleye.

Having said this, don't put too much stock in Eurobasket stats, the Euroleague is more reliable.

Do you think That Danny is counting on Theis as the 3rd center, or BIG, off the bench?
well, that may be possible since theis is 6'9". he could be a living oxymoron...a small big.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 03:06:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

well, that may be possible since theis is 6'9". he could be a living oxymoron...a small big.  ;D

Amir Johnson is 6'9" as well and was the starting center for The Celtics last year.

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He may be our new Jonas or more....

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Who does he compare to right now in the NBA?

Physically, Theis measures out similar to a young Joel Anthony.  6' 9" with a huge wingspan.  And like Anthony was, Theis is a tough, physical, defensive-minded player.    Theis is a much better offensive player, though, with a nice outside shot that fits the modern game.

Theis may be short to the top of his head for a C, but he's very strong, has that big wingspan and has shown no fear of mixing it up with big 7 footers in Europe.  So I'm not too worried about his size.   If he has problems translating his game it will be with things like the speed of the NBA and getting called for touch fouls.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 06:13:34 PM »

Offline safecracker

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
  • JJ8
He may be our new Jonas or more....
Agree. Good motor, works hard, decent shooter, plays defense (Theis the better inside defender, Jonas probably better further out). Can also block some shots, which Jonas isn't very good at.

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 07:11:51 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
And Patty mills is like a 30 PPG scorer in the international game, yet here he's not even good enough to start.

I continue to expect pretty much nothing from him

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
And Patty mills is like a 30 PPG scorer in the international game, yet here he's not even good enough to start.

Luka Doncic comes to mind.

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 08:09:14 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65

Are you the kid in elementary school who killed Santa Claus for everyone too?

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 09:27:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Wait, what happened to Santa?

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

No, I'm the man in real life who has to keep reminding people to temper their expectations.

Theis is an undersized big who plays center in Europe, but (at 6'9" / 220) to play that position here. At 25 years old he has already spent 5 seasons in Europe - and he's yet to average more than 22 minutes, 10 points or 5 rebounds in that entire 5 year stretch.  His shooting numbers are promising (hopefully he can add some value as a stretch big) but I just don't see how a guy who struggles to stay on the court in Eurobaset is going to hold down a consistent rotation spot on an NBA team with championship aspirations.

Zizic has a prototypical NBA body for a center (at 6'11" / 260 lbs with a 7'5" wingspan) and put up better numbers in Euroleague as a 19 year old , yet he struggled against the same Summer League scrubs that Jaylen Brown scored 30+ against and Jayson Tatum averaged 18/10 against...

I just don't there there is any point at all in getting excited over international stats, because they typically say very little about how a player is going to manage in the NBA.  So if people want to feel positive about some of the individual skills he brings that they fell might translate, then ok.  Bu Getting hyped because he put up a good scoring game against another Euro team really is probably a great way to set yourself up for disappointment.  Didn't Kelly Olynyk score 30 in one game for Canada or something?  I know Shavlik Randolph averaged like 30 / 15 in China before coming here and riding Boston's pine.   

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2017, 10:55:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

No, I'm the man in real life who has to keep reminding people to temper their expectations.

Theis is an undersized big who plays center in Europe, but (at 6'9" / 220) to play that position here. At 25 years old he has already spent 5 seasons in Europe - and he's yet to average more than 22 minutes, 10 points or 5 rebounds in that entire 5 year stretch.  His shooting numbers are promising (hopefully he can add some value as a stretch big) but I just don't see how a guy who struggles to stay on the court in Eurobaset is going to hold down a consistent rotation spot on an NBA team with championship aspirations.

Zizic has a prototypical NBA body for a center (at 6'11" / 260 lbs with a 7'5" wingspan) and put up better numbers in Euroleague as a 19 year old , yet he struggled against the same Summer League scrubs that Jaylen Brown scored 30+ against and Jayson Tatum averaged 18/10 against...

I just don't there there is any point at all in getting excited over international stats, because they typically say very little about how a player is going to manage in the NBA.  So if people want to feel positive about some of the individual skills he brings that they fell might translate, then ok.  Bu Getting hyped because he put up a good scoring game against another Euro team really is probably a great way to set yourself up for disappointment.  Didn't Kelly Olynyk score 30 in one game for Canada or something?  I know Shavlik Randolph averaged like 30 / 15 in China before coming here and riding Boston's pine.   

Theis should only get spot minutes this year unless there are injuries. He does look like a hustle bench guy that can go full speed while he's on the floor. He also has a really good looking outside shot. The speed of the NBA game is always an issue for any incoming player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32bal9DQWGg

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 03:03:52 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Yeah, I can certainly see a couple of aspects of his game here and there that I could see as potential perks for Boston. 

The outside shot is nice, and he looks to be a solid rebounder and rim protector which we certainly could use.  I'm just weary of expecting him to give us much more than 10-15 MPG as a backup PF.

I do think that he's a nice compliment to Baynes off the bench though - with Baynes being bigger, slower and more interior focussed, Theis is a bit smaller, more agile, and has a more effective perimeter game and more likely to be able to switch on to wings and defend the P&R.

I'm also pleasantly surprised by Shanke Larkin.  I never really checked out his stats, just assumed he was a D-League scrub.  But he actually put up some pretty decent numbers in his last year at Brooklyn (7.3 PTS, 4.2 AST, 1.2 STL in 20 MPG) and shot decent too (44%, 36% 3PT, 78% FT) - that's pretty solid production for a backup PG, which is nice considering he will likely be a third string backup for us behind Kyrie and Rozier (I assume Smart will start at SG). 

I was initially very concerned about out bench depth, but the more I look at it, the more excited I'm actually starting to get.  If we start Smart at SG and Morris at PF, then that gives us a second unit of Rozier, Brown, Tatum, Theis and Baynes - that's actually a pretty nice lineup that gives a nice balance between offense, defence, size and athleticism. 

Then we basically have a 3d unit of Larkin, Nader, Ojeleye and Yabusele as pretty much 3rd string backups - that's actually a pretty deep bench.  Not a very PROVEN bench, but deep none the less.

See, not EVERYTHING I say is negative lol

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 07:09:13 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

Zizic has a 7-2 wingspan--i have not been able to find Theis it most be to secret but sure seem elite

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

While I think it is correct to keep expectations low -- I think that is true for any new player, whether they come from international ball or the NCAA.

And while it's dangerous for people to make overly ambitious projections based on how successful players might have been in international leagues and the NCAA, it is far far more foolish to place any weight at all on how a player performed (good or bad) in a couple of Summer League games.

I also wouldn't put a lot of stock in the 215 lb listed weight for Theis on DraftExpress which seems to be based on a measurement taken years ago when he was 19-20.  He's 25 years old now and almost certainly a fair bit heavier than that now.   Wikipedia lists him at 243 lb, which looks far more accurate when you look at him. His latest Eurobasket profile has him at 242 lb.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.