Author Topic: Report: IT hip injury more than just torn labrum; arthritis + loss of cartilage  (Read 10221 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
According to a source....who is violating his Hippa rights.

Isn't it just the healthcare provider that is bound by HIPPA laws? If a friend of IT or someone from IT's team is the source, there is no HIPPA violation.

The law isn't exactly clear in this regard, but I think it could probably be interpreted as a HIPPA violation if any member of the organization with direct access to the records made the leak.

But this report doesn't necessarily say that, only saying someone with direct knowledge of his hip condition. If this was secondhand information, I'm not sure that it would be considered a violation.

But this doesn't really matter either way. These kinds of leaks happen all of the time in professional athletes. It sucks, but I think people have largely accepted it as just part of being a professional athlete.

EDIT: Yeah, as Pho said above.
If it's someone IT told then IT told that person something completely different than he told the whole world.

Bottom line....someone lied. When it becomes clear who it was that person needs to deal with the consequences. If IT comes back just like he said then this journalist has to say "My source lied and I'll never use him again. I gave you guys a bad source."  If it's IT that lied then we can't ever really believe him again. My guess is the guy who needed to be anonymous and probably broke HIPPA is the liar....if he even exists, which is questionable.

You don't think IT has about $100 million reasons to underplay his hip injury?

I think IT, Koby, and the whole bunch of them have plenty of reasons to downplay his injury. If they don't underplay it, then IT costs himself a ton of money, and Koby essentially opens the door for Lebron to leave next year by admitting to trading for a player they knew would be out for most of the season.
No I don't. I don't think there is a single GM in the league that cares about what IT says about his hip. I think they care about what they see and what doctors say.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Osteoarthritis isn't a surprise. I'd be shocked if he didn't have it, especially with his underlying hip condition.

The part I'm more interested in is his arthritis slowing down the healing process. That doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense to me, but I never advanced beyond Biology 102. I still think the career ending aspect of this is media sensationalism.

When was the last time the NBA was heavily speculating a guy had a career ending injury. I am sure it has happened, but I am not really remembering this off hand recently. Were people speculating that when KG got hurt? Or for any of Blake Griffins injuries? Again, would totally believe it happened, but it isn't something i remember frequently happening. (obviously the trade being held up is not something that occurs more than once a year out of all trades)

Has the LarBrd33 era faded so quickly from your memory? Haha.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
I'll miss the guy but the thought of him missing most of the season along with fear he'll get hurt again makes this trade worth it alone. BKN pick doesn't matter that much to me because you hope to get players like Kyrie with those kind of picks.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'll miss the guy but the thought of him missing most of the season along with fear he'll get hurt again makes this trade worth it alone. BKN pick doesn't matter that much to me because you hope to get players like Kyrie with those kind of picks.

TP....Well done..!

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Osteoarthritis isn't a surprise. I'd be shocked if he didn't have it, especially with his underlying hip condition.

The part I'm more interested in is his arthritis slowing down the healing process. That doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense to me, but I never advanced beyond Biology 102. I still think the career ending aspect of this is media sensationalism.

Osteoarthritis is a no-brainer for him at this point. It was always a matter if when - not if - he'd develop it.

OA can slow down the healing the process - particularly if he's in later stages of degeneration. This is when joint stability and bone density come into play. Without knowing the details of his injury and exactly what's going on, if the OA is at a point of degeneration where it's interfering with healing, it is a major cause for concern long term.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:40:02 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

When was the last time the NBA was heavily speculating a guy had a career ending injury. I am sure it has happened, but I am not really remembering this off hand recently. Were people speculating that when KG got hurt? Or for any of Blake Griffins injuries? Again, would totally believe it happened, but it isn't something i remember frequently happening. (obviously the trade being held up is not something that occurs more than once a year out of all trades)

I am assuming you are referencing Embiid. He is a pretty poor example of this (at the moment) because I think there was some doubt he would ever be able to stay healthy when he it was announced he would miss his entire second season. He then promptly returned and had a season ending injury after last just 31 minute restricted games. At this time he still is not cleared for contact drills and most people are still skeptical he will be healthy and stay healthy for a long career. Embiid is also different in that he has had multiple injuries going back to being unable to finish his Kansas career.

With someone like IT this is his first major injury ever and serious people in the media (not just posters here) are speculating that it is a very serious long term problem. When was the last time a player had one injury like that and everyone starting speculating it was a career ender when the guy was 28? I honestly don't remember something like this, doesn't mean I am not forgetting stuff. However, the Embiid situation is a very different animal... I don't remember the timing and severity of brandon roy's injuries.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I am assuming you are referencing Embiid. He is a pretty poor example of this (at the moment) because I think there was some doubt he would ever be able to stay healthy when he it was announced he would miss his entire second season. He then promptly returned and had a season ending injury after last just 31 minute restricted games. At this time he still is not cleared for contact drills and most people are still skeptical he will be healthy and stay healthy for a long career. Embiid is also different in that he has had multiple injuries going back to being unable to finish his Kansas career.

With someone like IT this is his first major injury ever and serious people in the media (not just posters here) are speculating that it is a very serious long term problem. When was the last time a player had one injury like that and everyone starting speculating it was a career ender when the guy was 28? I honestly don't remember something like this, doesn't mean I am not forgetting stuff. However, the Embiid situation is a very different animal... I don't remember the timing and severity of brandon roy's injuries.

I mean, there's always Shaun Livingston.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
When was the last time a player had one injury like that and everyone starting speculating it was a career ender when the guy was 28?
Does this seem familiar in any way?

"Flynn had leadership abilities at first blush. He was very dynamic, charismatic. You could see it his rookie season. The kid had a lot of confidence, plays bigger than he is. He just got hurt. He got hurt. He had a pre-condition nobody knew about his hip. During his recovery period, he knew something was wrong but he didn’t tell anybody it, there was a feeling of impingement in there (in his hip) and never described to trainers at Syracuse how deep it was. It really has hurt his career. I hope he recovers from it."

http://www.startribune.com/kahn-interview-part-4-rambis-rubio-curry-and-more/205919681/?c=y&page=all&prepage=1#continue
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
When was the last time a player had one injury like that and everyone starting speculating it was a career ender when the guy was 28?
Does this seem familiar in any way?

"Flynn had leadership abilities at first blush. He was very dynamic, charismatic. You could see it his rookie season. The kid had a lot of confidence, plays bigger than he is. He just got hurt. He got hurt. He had a pre-condition nobody knew about his hip. During his recovery period, he knew something was wrong but he didn’t tell anybody it, there was a feeling of impingement in there (in his hip) and never described to trainers at Syracuse how deep it was. It really has hurt his career. I hope he recovers from it."

http://www.startribune.com/kahn-interview-part-4-rambis-rubio-curry-and-more/205919681/?c=y&page=all&prepage=1#continue

If the source were someone other than master talent evaluator David Kahn, I might take it more seriously.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I am assuming you are referencing Embiid. He is a pretty poor example of this (at the moment) because I think there was some doubt he would ever be able to stay healthy when he it was announced he would miss his entire second season.

You didn't say you were being so specific, but anyway, even there I disagree, it's not really a single "major injury," right? Some of what we are reading in this article and elsewhere is saying that there have been other injuries, and that this is the effect of things that have been going on for years, there's a chronic condition and it's never going to get better. So in that sense this is more Brandon Roy than Shaun Livingston.

But what's different is that no one knew about it or viewed it as such until now. Very unusual. Whether it was IT or medical staffs or both, this was very much under wraps. For good reason.

This would also explain the Cleveland situation, in the sense that the current injury is one thing, but the long-term chronic stuff is something almost no one knew about, so they were a bit taken aback.

That's my take anyway. If any of this stuff is true (and there's no way of knowing at this point), IT's hip is a long-term issue that could go back at least a couple of years, is maybe even congenital, and what we are seeing now is just the impact of repeated stress and injury over time.

Or, it's all being overblown and he will be fine. Only time will tell.

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
For God's sakes people.  None of you even knew he had a hip issue until he went out in the Cavs series.  He played half a season and 20 playoff games after tearing his labrum and was nearly the leading scorer in the NBA.

Stop with this nonsense.  Anyone over the age of 20 has OA in some of their joints and damage to the discs in their spine, and most of them have FAI as well - many of them even have *GASP* labral tears!  All these people (and many of you) are walking the earth completely ignorant of the fact that their bodies are exhibiting structural abnormalities and wear and tear.

IT will be fine.  This is the most drama I've ever seen over an injury that a guy has already proven he can play through without any rehab what-so-ever. 

Do you realize Russell Westbrook has played 2 more seasons than IT, and had THREE knee surgeries?  Do you realize he's missed a full season's worth of games in his career and is far more reliant on contact, athleticism, and getting to the rim to be successful than IT and no one ever questions the longevity of his career?

And yet IT missed one playoff series that the Celtics were clearly not winning after his sister died, his teeth were knocked out, and his hip was injured and everyone wants to say his career is over. 

I'm not surprised, this is what people do, they search for reasons to doubt IT and justify trading him.  His entire career no matter what he does people ALWAYS find reasons to doubt him.  He single-handedly ruined the Celtics rebuilding process by taking them from lottery contention to the Eastern Conference finals in two years and still people doubt him.   

You should all know better by now. 

Mark my words, the Cavs will be winning a Championship this season.         

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
For God's sakes people.  None of you even knew he had a hip issue until he went out in the Cavs series.  He played half a season and 20 playoff games after tearing his labrum and was nearly the leading scorer in the NBA.

Stop with this nonsense.  Anyone over the age of 20 has OA in some of their joints and damage to the discs in their spine, and most of them have FAI as well - many of them even have *GASP* labral tears!  All these people (and many of you) are walking the earth completely ignorant of the fact that their bodies are exhibiting structural abnormalities and wear and tear.

IT will be fine.  This is the most drama I've ever seen over an injury that a guy has already proven he can play through without any rehab what-so-ever. 

Do you realize Russell Westbrook has played 2 more seasons than IT, and had THREE knee surgeries?  Do you realize he's missed a full season's worth of games in his career and is far more reliant on contact, athleticism, and getting to the rim to be successful than IT and no one ever questions the longevity of his career?

And yet IT missed one playoff series that the Celtics were clearly not winning after his sister died, his teeth were knocked out, and his hip was injured and everyone wants to say his career is over. 

I'm not surprised, this is what people do, they search for reasons to doubt IT and justify trading him.  His entire career no matter what he does people ALWAYS find reasons to doubt him.  He single-handedly ruined the Celtics rebuilding process by taking them from lottery contention to the Eastern Conference finals in two years and still people doubt him.   

You shall be our new god

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Lol nope. I don't even think they'll make the Finals. He might hate himself doing it, but Brad is going to have a heyday exploiting that IT defensive mismatch in the ECF.

EDIT: By the way, is that you, IT? That's really the only rational explanation for such a wild overreaction to this thread.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Not really sure what Westbrook's knees have to do with IT's hip. Two different people with entirely different injuries.  If we're making offbase comparisons, why not compare him to Chandler Parsons? Anyone can find a player injury comparison to fit what they want to believe.

With that said, no one knows the true extent of IT's injury except IT and the doctors that have evaluated him. Everyone here is speculating.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Shaun Livingston.

Edit: Salty beat me to it