Author Topic: Report: IT hip injury more than just torn labrum; arthritis + loss of cartilage  (Read 10215 times)

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/09/08/report-isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-more-than-just-torn-labrum/

The trade for Kyrie and its strange holdup afterwards just becomes clearer and clearer everyday. No wonder the Cavs were so reticent on IT's hip yesterday and aren't giving him a timetable for return - they legitimately don't know when (or if) he'll return this year.

I feel bad for the guy. This couldn't have happened at a worse time for him, and it could cost him literally tens of millions of dollars.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
According to a source....who is violating his Hippa rights.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

That's actually true, good point.  He laughed off questions about his health in the presser, I'm not sure any one knows his health status. 

It's an awkward situation for CLE - they hold up the trade to try to squeeze more out of the Celtics (true intentions unknown) and then they're ask questions about his health.  If they were being coy, certainly they wouldn't acknowledge that.

ultimately, it behooves the Cavs to rest him for as long as possible, and they have the luxury to do so.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Starting to understand this trade more and more. Had to give up the Brooklyn pick because IT may just turn out to be salary filler because he might not play this year or ever again.

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63

Isn't it just the healthcare provider that is bound by HIPPA laws? If a friend of IT or someone from IT's team is the source, there is no HIPPA violation.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Isn't it just the healthcare provider that is bound by HIPPA laws? If a friend of IT or someone from IT's team is the source, there is no HIPPA violation.

A "friend" may be able to skirt things told to them socially.   Someone on his "team", if under any sort of contractual or employee relationship would possibly be under business confidence expectations.

At any rate, whether legally under HIPPA constraints or not, it still represents a violation of confidence if true.

We don't, of course, know if it is true.

This is the lovely quandary about anonymous sources.   And why all this is ultimately just more speculation and not really any new information.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

If IT told this information to somebody else and that person revealed it to media, correct, it is not a HIPPA violation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

The law isn't exactly clear in this regard, but I think it could probably be interpreted as a HIPPA violation if any member of the organization with direct access to the records made the leak.

But this report doesn't necessarily say that, only saying someone with direct knowledge of his hip condition. If this was secondhand information, I'm not sure that it would be considered a violation.

But this doesn't really matter either way. These kinds of leaks happen all of the time in professional athletes. It sucks, but I think people have largely accepted it as just part of being a professional athlete.

EDIT: Yeah, as Pho said above.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

A "friend" may be able to skirt things told to them socially.   Someone on his "team", if under any sort of contractual or employee relationship would possibly be under business confidence expectations.

At any rate, whether legally under HIPPA constraints or not, it still represents a violation of confidence if true.

We don't, of course, know if it is true.

This is the lovely quandary about anonymous sources.   And why all this is ultimately just more speculation and not really any new information.

Sure, it definitely comes with the usual caveats associated with anonymous sources.

But clearly with the surrounding context and how this has played out so far, this falls right in line with what you'd expect given everything that has occurred in this bizarre situation.

Starting to understand this trade more and more. Had to give up the Brooklyn pick because IT may just turn out to be salary filler because he might not play this year or ever again.

This is my take on the matter. It seems like Danny just took advantage of a star being on the market to replace IT with his questionable availability and status going forward.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
We all want nothing more than to win the trade but this really sucks for IT.  In a perfect world he can return late in the season but Cleveland isn't able to get past us.  I hope IT comes back close to 100% and earns a big payday with a different organization. 

The irony of this entire situation is that he risked his health by playing through a bad hip and won't end up enjoying any of the success that our team could have over the next 5 years.  It stings even more because of how much he valued the tradition in Boston. 

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

We had to give up the BKN pick because Cleveland wouldn't have done the deal without it - even with a healthy IT. With the possible/likely departure of Lebron next off-season, why in the world would the Cavs do this deal without a key building block for the future?

Perhaps the LAL/Sac pick could have gotten it done, maybe even top 1 protection, but without the BKN pick there would be no Kyrie in Boston, no matter what.

But, yes, I agree with the overall premise of the deal now making a lot more sense. The Cavs and Isaiah are putting on the front that it was a Kyrie for IT swap, but everybody knows it was a Kyrie for BKN '18 swap...makes it a little uncomfortable.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

We had to give up the BKN pick because Cleveland wouldn't have done the deal without it - even with a healthy IT. With the possible/likely departure of Lebron next off-season, why in the world would the Cavs do this deal without a key building block for the future?

Perhaps the LAL/Sac pick could have gotten it done, maybe even top 1 protection, but without the BKN pick there would be no Kyrie in Boston, no matter what.

But, yes, I agree with the overall premise of the deal now making a lot more sense. The Cavs and Isaiah are putting on the front that it was a Kyrie for IT swap, but everybody knows it was a Kyrie for BKN '18 swap...makes it a little uncomfortable.
A healthy IT+Nets pick will be the package for AD

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Sounds bad.

Worse than the team was saying a few months ago.

I feel bad for the guy. This couldn't have happened at a worse time for him, and it could cost him literally tens of millions of dollars.

It could be a $100 million it ends up costing IT.

Starting to understand this trade more and more.

Yeah, me too. I was strongly against beforehand but more open to it now.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Cleveland may have wanted that, but I don't think the Celtics give that to the Cavs if IT is healthy.   

The whole "fit the timeline" may have been more about Irving vs. next years draft pick. 

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Danny did the right thing getting rid of him. Don't say that being rude but for the long run success for this team, Thomas had to be moved.