Author Topic: Lottery Reform in Works: How will this impact our LA/SAC Pick?  (Read 9682 times)

Re: Lottery Reform in Works: How will this impact our LA/SAC Pick?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I really like the idea of saying that a team cannot have the first pick in consecutive years but this should apply only to teams picking their own pick.  If a pick is traded, the pick should convey wherever the ping pong balls fall.

Same for a team like the Celtics who traded for picks in multiple years.  In that case it should not matter if they get 1 or 2 or whatever in consecutive years from traded picks.  The intent is to discourage tanking.  Once a team has traded their pick, there is already no incentive to tank.

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I kind of want a one and done lottery tournament where the winner of the tournament gets the first pick. Then it goes to lottery after that. The games could be played on off days during the playoffs. The one downside I see is if a team has traded a future first they have no motivation to try to win. That's why it would go to a weighted lottery like now. So the pick still has value to the team that traded for the pick. They could still get a very high pick, just not first overall.

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 05:56:25 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The lottery is fine as is.  I'd much rather have a few bad teams tanking than a mediocre team tanking to miss the 8th spot in the playoffs. 

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 06:02:37 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Bad teams need to be rewarded. The idea of the wheel or reverse lottery (14th team gets best odds) is ludicrous. Teams from NY, LAL, CHI may be able to prosper through free agency signings, but how would teams from Utah, Minny, OKC, etc ever survive. They would constantly be horrible.

I don't have a real problem with how it works now. Better teams in the lottery still have a 'chance,' but not like the worst teams. I think it could be adjusted where there are groups of teams, like: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12, 13-15, 16-18 - each having equal odds withing their groups - where the worst teams have the best chance and the better teams have the worst chance.

Unlike now, I wouldn't limit the better teams' chances to only a top 3 and I think you could adjust the odds back to pre-Webber/Penny days. I also like the idea where teams 15-18 don't get rewarded with trying to make the playoffs even though they have little incentive to do so.
I also agree with limiting consecutive top 1-2 picks (if they are your own).

I really just hope it isn't some major, wacky change. Bad teams can't get better without the option/hope for a top pick.

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
What about the lottery teams have a NCAA like single game elimation tournament where the team that wins the tournament gets the top pick.  Something like that would be exciting.

Given that about half of a team's roster tends to turn over from year to year, what incentive do the players have to compete in such a tournament?  They're just risking injury to benefit a future squad they might very well not be a part of.

Yeah, I have to imagine the pushback from the player's union would be pretty strong.  Also, the matter of compensation for these games.

Very true.  Maybe you can have it so there is a financial incentive to make it to each round for the players.

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
>If passed, no changes to the NBA lottery would be instituted until the 2019 draft, league sources said.

Even 2019 is doubtful. If they make a change (which I doubt), I can't see them making it until all current traded picks have been conveyed (which would be like 2021 or 2022)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 07:42:17 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
>If passed, no changes to the NBA lottery would be instituted until the 2019 draft, league sources said.

Even 2019 is doubtful. If they make a change (which I doubt), I can't see them making it until all current traded picks have been conveyed (which would be like 2021 or 2022)

What do they really care about conveyed picks? Those picks don't encourage tanking (if anything, they do just the opposite), and by reforming it, gives other potential tankers reason to not tank.

I think there needs to be a better system. What that is, I don't know.

I think it'll be terrible for fringe playoff teams to consistently get the top players while the bad teams - and let's face it, there are plenty - get mediocre picks. Good teams don't tank. Bad teams tank to jostle into lottery position against other bad (and perhaps worse) teams. And then you can see teams in the cusp of the playoffs tanking out of them. Why risk potentially getting a great player early in the draft for 2 extra home games?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
How about $.

Teams that do not make the NBA finals get a signing exemption based on their records. Biggest excemption goes to the better record and then it decreases accordingly. Makes every team want to fight for the best possible record no matter the match ups or draft lottery odds. Have $ to improve your team is usually better then a draft pick.

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 08:17:43 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
What about the lottery teams have a NCAA like single game elimation tournament where the team that wins the tournament gets the top pick.  Something like that would be exciting.

Given that about half of a team's roster tends to turn over from year to year, what incentive do the players have to compete in such a tournament?  They're just risking injury to benefit a future squad they might very well not be a part of.

Also, imagine a vet starter playing in a tourney like that where the top "prize" for winning is that the team gets to draft his replacement. Way too many perverse incentives, just like most proposals.

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 09:08:06 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yeah, we'll see, but a few concerns.
1. Teams have already traded actual players for future picks based on the current system, so i would think any change would have to not affect already traded picks.
2. Currently, some teams take advantage of the system. Teams will try to take advantage of any system; what are the unintended consequences of any new system? For the "wheel," i could see tampering; maybe a top freshman when everyone knows sacramento is up on the wheel for the 1st puck "decides" to wait 1 more year until the lakers are known to be 1st. Basically, more rookies choosing their team, maybe some promises made a year or two ahead of time...
W

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 10:05:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Found this part interesting-

"No team can pick in the top three of the draft in consecutive years."

Does that mean that (if implemented), if Cleveland keeps the pick, they can pick no higher than 4??

Sounds good to me ;)

The whole top five teams having similar odds could screw us with the Lakers pick if they were fifth worst and somehow won, but could benefit us on the other end if PHI/SAC is fifth worst and shoots up to 1/2/3

At least that's what I got out of the article concerning our future picks.

this is a draft proposal I've been posting here for a few years.  league must be monitoring this blog and stealing my ideas ;)

Another idea born out of the competition committee that could gather support, league sources said: No team can pick in the top three of the draft in consecutive years. For example, if Minnesota wins the No. 1 pick and drafts Karl-Anthony Towns -- as was the case in 2015 -- it can pick no higher than No. 4 in the next lottery. For now, that idea is outside of the league office's proposal but is expected to be considered in the upcoming committee meeting, sources said.

this shouldn't affect our pick next year.  they're looking at making changes for the 2019 draft

The NBA is aggressively pursuing draft lottery reform that could be voted into legislation and instituted by the 2019 draft, league sources told ESPN.

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 10:15:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The only reform I think I'd be ok with, is stopping a team from getting the 1st pick in consecutive drafts or maybe the two following drafts.  If their balls come up first, just move them to 2.  Tanking isn't a real problem. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2017, 10:37:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i want to see reform that makes consecutive tanking less likely method of rebuilding. If you are in the top three , you can not be in the top three consecutive years or something simular to keep repeats of the Philadelphia childish experiment.  .....or Cavs getting the first pick like three years in a row or close.

I dread end of season as teams jockey to loose on purpose .  I loose interest

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 06:50:39 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The only reform I think I'd be ok with, is stopping a team from getting the 1st pick in consecutive drafts or maybe the two following drafts.  If their balls come up first, just move them to 2.  Tanking isn't a real problem.
This has to be the most effective way. A team gets rewarded with a top pick, then the next few years they are incentivised to get better by not receiving the top pick.

I'd actually extend this slightly. If a team gets a top pick then they can't get the top pick for the next 2 years. If in the 2nd year they get a top-3 pick the following year they cannot get a top-3 pick.