Author Topic: Lottery Reform in Works: How will this impact our LA/SAC Pick?  (Read 9689 times)

Re: Lottery Reform in Works: How will this impact our LA/SAC Pick?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I have always been in favor of a lottery flip where the best team in the lotto gets the 1st pick. So team 14 gets the #1 pick and the worst team gets 14. Then the teams that just miss the playoffs get the top picks. That gives teams something to play for and punishes "Tanking" teams. The extra talent should push the end of the lotto teams up into the playoffs after a year or two. No more getting stuck in the middle. It rewards the teams that are trying to put together playoff teams.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 04:24:46 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
I'm not in favor of a flip, because you could still have a team tank the last few days to get the top pick. 

I think a more equitable lottery is to weight the lottery odds more evenly. So that the 14th team has a much better chance to get the top pick, and the worst team a lesser chance.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
A flip has too many flaws of it's own IMO. Can you imagine a #8 seed deciding to give up the last week of the season and gets the #1 pick? I like the premise of reversing some of the incentive, just think it would lead to a different set of problems.

Continuing to even out odds is the simplest solution and sounds like what they'll go with.

My personal twist: rollover lottery balls. Keep the odds, but even out the luck over time. Being in the #5 slot and not hitting top 3 just gives you more chances next year. Getting #1 overall reduces your odds of getting it again. All 30 teams get balls every year. The biggest problem IMO is that

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Found this part interesting-

"No team can pick in the top three of the draft in consecutive years."

Does that mean that (if implemented), if Cleveland keeps the pick, they can pick no higher than 4??

Sounds good to me ;)

The whole top five teams having similar odds could screw us with the Lakers pick if they were fifth worst and somehow won, but could benefit us on the other end if PHI/SAC is fifth worst and shoots up to 1/2/3

At least that's what I got out of the article concerning our future picks.
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 04:43:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It means the nets pick suddenly Isn't  a sure thing to be a top pick

This Kind of affects us

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 04:46:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I really think something like this would take years to fight & implement.  Can't imagine it'll impact the 2018 draft.   

There are a lot of moving parts here.  To have it solved by the '18 draft seems far fetched.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
What about the lottery teams have a NCAA like single game elimation tournament where the team that wins the tournament gets the top pick.  Something like that would be exciting.

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 05:04:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really think something like this would take years to fight & implement.  Can't imagine it'll impact the 2018 draft.   

There are a lot of moving parts here.  To have it solved by the '18 draft seems far fetched.
The article mentioned that reform would have no effect on the 2018 draft. I think you're right on about when it could be implemented. Most likely any reform would come in gradually over years and not start taking place until 2020 or later. To many small market teams see the draft as the only way to land a superstar and will fight change. Should be interesting to see how this goes.

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

The article mentioned that reform would have no effect on the 2018 draft. I think you're right on about when it could be implemented. Most likely any reform would come in gradually over years and not start taking place until 2020 or later. To many small market teams see the draft as the only way to land a superstar and will fight change. Should be interesting to see how this goes.

Yeah, it looks like it got edited about 10 minutes ago and now has this line.

If passed, no changes to the NBA lottery would be instituted until the 2019 draft, league sources said.

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 05:08:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What about the lottery teams have a NCAA like single game elimation tournament where the team that wins the tournament gets the top pick.  Something like that would be exciting.

Given that about half of a team's roster tends to turn over from year to year, what incentive do the players have to compete in such a tournament?  They're just risking injury to benefit a future squad they might very well not be a part of.

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2017, 05:10:42 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
>If passed, no changes to the NBA lottery would be instituted until the 2019 draft, league sources said.

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 05:11:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

This Kind of affects us
Well wouldn't that mean that the Laker pick would go from 2-5 down to 4-5?  Meaning the only way it conveys is if we pick 4th or 5th?   And then should Sac get a top 3 this year, that rules the C's out of a top 3 in 2018-19? 

Given the goals of this change I wonder if there would be provisions for traded picks -- that maybe the top 3 in consecutive drafts only applies to which team is actually receiving the pick at time of the draft lottery.

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Given that about half of a team's roster tends to turn over from year to year, what incentive do the players have to compete in such a tournament?  They're just risking injury to benefit a future squad they might very well not be a part of.

Yeah, I have to imagine the pushback from the player's union would be pretty strong.  Also, the matter of compensation for these games.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 05:16:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

This Kind of affects us
Well wouldn't that mean that the Laker pick would go from 2-5 down to 4-5?  Meaning the only way it conveys is if we pick 4th or 5th?   And then should Sac get a top 3 this year, that rules the C's out of a top 3 in 2018-19? 

Given the goals of this change I wonder if there would be provisions for traded picks -- that maybe the top 3 in consecutive drafts only applies to which team is actually receiving the pick at time of the draft lottery.

Just get rid of the pick protections all together.  Reform it and say all current protections are honored.  Eventually, they'd all phase out but obviously it would take years.