Author Topic: Cavs Introduce IT, Jae, and Zizic  (Read 5285 times)

Re: Cavs Introduce IT, Jae, and Zizic
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 12:02:11 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Listen, I liked IT and Crowder and I get some of the reservations about Irving, but can people stop acting like we broke up the Big Three (the original or the more recent incarnation)?

Yeah, we've had a scrappy bunch of overachievers the past few years, but they got knocked out in the first round twice and probably would have been again this past year had Rondo gotten hurt (or had they been in the West).

I get some sentimentality, but you'd think we broke up a dynasty by the way some people are talking.

Re: Cavs Introduce IT and Jae
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 03:40:05 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I have done a 180 on this trade given IT's condition. I really don't expect to be the same player at any point this season, if ever again.
Great, I assume you’re a doctor then? If not, then it really doesn’t matter what you expect does it. We have no idea how healthy IT is and what condition his hip is in. There have been hundreds of reports ranging from he will be ready from Game 1 with no long term effects, to a career ending injury. Truth is we have no idea since we are not doctors and don’t have access to his medical records.

Your reply is inaccurate. IT was recently ruled out for the beginning of the season (which was repeated again today). There has also been a lot of additional information provided on on the kind of injury with quotes from actual doctors. Including the lengthy article from ESPN yesterday. This information has certainly made it seem like there is a higher risk than how the Celtics were reporting things a month ago. Compare the takeaway from July from the Celtics that he would be ready for training camp https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-danny-ainge-says-isaiah-thomas-will-not-require-hip-surgery/

While it is true that we don't have concrete info on when he will be ready, it certainly is less optimistic than it was made to be at the end of July. Also I am not sure why you are taking such an adversarial tone because i changed my opinion on the trade...
No, my reply is not inaccurate. You are not a doctor and have no access to his medical records, so how would you know what condition his hip is in? There have been a wide ranging number of opinions on when he’ll be ready, all speculative. There’s no 1 concrete answer on when he’ll be ready, and no one can tell the future and know if he will be the same player.

My opinion has not changed since July, and my view remains the same. We knew during the ECF that his hip was a problem, and we still know it is problem. To have a complete 180 in change of opinion due to reading a few of the least optimistic takes on his hip is ludicrous.

Back in July the report was that he was expected to be ready for training camp with no setbacks. Now the Cavs have said he will not be ready for the start of the season. How is this not a change and significant. This has changed my opinion significantly and is not speculation.
What are you talking about “THE report”? There were dozens of reports, all of them speculating when he would be ready and ranging from training camp to never. I knew he was injured, it was clear when he missed the rest of the ECF, thought about getting surgery, and his teammate AB said he couldn’t walk right. I still think he is injured, and the quotes that were just presented back that up. They also don’t say anything about even coming close to missing this years playoffs, let alone the rest of his career. So no, that’s not a big change at all from then to now. And if you really think missing the beginning of the regular season causes you to make a 180 on the trade, even though we already knew IT was injured at the time of the trade, then you are the delusional one here.

WOW, how can  you tell another poster how to weigh the evidence before him. His initial view was based on a set of information, why cant he change is view when he receives more information. The notion that he is delusional because you do not consider certain information as importantly as he does is confounding.
Lol do you know what an ARGUMENT is?? Do you happen to know how one of those starts?? They happen all the time, especially on Celticsblog. When two people have a difference in opinion and argue their side. I don’t think there should be such a drastic overreaction in the IT trade. Whether you loved it or hated it from the beginning, there hasn’t been that much of a change in the information we have gotten since the trade broke. IT has been hurt since the ECF. If you didn’t know that at the time of the trade, you just weren’t paying attention.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 06:40:14 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I definitely felt it was an interesting press conference I wish those guys luck. I get the feeling they won't shine this year but actually next year if LeBron stays. This they will need a full season do gel due to a lot of team chemistry issues and IT getting back late.

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 09:27:22 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No surgery expected for IT, but they're not giving any timetable for return either:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2731994-isaiah-thomas-return-from-hip-injury-has-no-timetable-says-cavs-gm-koby-altman

I think this press conference should make some of the trade's skeptics feel a bit better. There is obviously pretty significant concern regarding IT's injury, and Jae looks like he could've posed a locker room problem this season after adding Hayward, Morris, and Tatum.

Cavs may try keep IT s injury quiet .....because they might want to flip him at some point and let another team take a gamble .  If IT plays and rehurts that hip .....well....the gig is up for IT and Cavs .
I more glade by the day Danyy let IT go.
If they were trying to do that they got off to a really poor start before Thomas was even officially a Cav...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Listen, I liked IT and Crowder and I get some of the reservations about Irving, but can people stop acting like we broke up the Big Three (the original or the more recent incarnation)?

Yeah, we've had a scrappy bunch of overachievers the past few years, but they got knocked out in the first round twice and probably would have been again this past year had Rondo gotten hurt (or had they been in the West).

I get some sentimentality, but you'd think we broke up a dynasty by the way some people are talking.

Don't agree about the Rondo stuff, but TP for everything else.

Honestly, I didn't find last year's team nearly as "likable" as the team from the previous two years, even though we were quite a bit better.

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 10:12:43 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I have done a 180 on this trade given IT's condition. I really don't expect to be the same player at any point this season, if ever again.
Great, I assume you’re a doctor then? If not, then it really doesn’t matter what you expect does it. We have no idea how healthy IT is and what condition his hip is in. There have been hundreds of reports ranging from he will be ready from Game 1 with no long term effects, to a career ending injury. Truth is we have no idea since we are not doctors and don’t have access to his medical records.

Your reply is inaccurate. IT was recently ruled out for the beginning of the season (which was repeated again today). There has also been a lot of additional information provided on on the kind of injury with quotes from actual doctors. Including the lengthy article from ESPN yesterday. This information has certainly made it seem like there is a higher risk than how the Celtics were reporting things a month ago. Compare the takeaway from July from the Celtics that he would be ready for training camp https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-danny-ainge-says-isaiah-thomas-will-not-require-hip-surgery/

While it is true that we don't have concrete info on when he will be ready, it certainly is less optimistic than it was made to be at the end of July. Also I am not sure why you are taking such an adversarial tone because i changed my opinion on the trade...
No, my reply is not inaccurate. You are not a doctor and have no access to his medical records, so how would you know what condition his hip is in? There have been a wide ranging number of opinions on when he’ll be ready, all speculative. There’s no 1 concrete answer on when he’ll be ready, and no one can tell the future and know if he will be the same player.

My opinion has not changed since July, and my view remains the same. We knew during the ECF that his hip was a problem, and we still know it is problem. To have a complete 180 in change of opinion due to reading a few of the least optimistic takes on his hip is ludicrous.

Back in July the report was that he was expected to be ready for training camp with no setbacks. Now the Cavs have said he will not be ready for the start of the season. How is this not a change and significant. This has changed my opinion significantly and is not speculation.
What are you talking about “THE report”? There were dozens of reports, all of them speculating when he would be ready and ranging from training camp to never. I knew he was injured, it was clear when he missed the rest of the ECF, thought about getting surgery, and his teammate AB said he couldn’t walk right. I still think he is injured, and the quotes that were just presented back that up. They also don’t say anything about even coming close to missing this years playoffs, let alone the rest of his career. So no, that’s not a big change at all from then to now. And if you really think missing the beginning of the regular season causes you to make a 180 on the trade, even though we already knew IT was injured at the time of the trade, then you are the delusional one here.

WOW, how can  you tell another poster how to weigh the evidence before him. His initial view was based on a set of information, why cant he change is view when he receives more information. The notion that he is delusional because you do not consider certain information as importantly as he does is confounding.
Lol do you know what an ARGUMENT is?? Do you happen to know how one of those starts?? They happen all the time, especially on Celticsblog. When two people have a difference in opinion and argue their side. I don’t think there should be such a drastic overreaction in the IT trade. Whether you loved it or hated it from the beginning, there hasn’t been that much of a change in the information we have gotten since the trade broke. IT has been hurt since the ECF. If you didn’t know that at the time of the trade, you just weren’t paying attention.

I know what an argument is, I just prefer that they be civil and not abusive. No need to call anyone with an opposing view delusional.

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 10:33:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Don't agree about the Rondo stuff, but TP for everything else.

Honestly, I didn't find last year's team nearly as "likable" as the team from the previous two years, even though we were quite a bit better.
Yeah last year's team really seemed to lack the grind/hustle/defense mentality that defined the previous year and a half.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.