Poll

Would Ainge Keep Isaiah If He Had ZERO Hip Issues, Was Actually 100% Healthy, AND Kyrie Was NEVER Made Available?

Yes. Ainge Would Have Payed Him And IT Would Be Our PG Of The Future
15 (19.2%)
No. Ainge Was NEVER Going To Pay Him. He Was A Goner.
63 (80.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: If IT4 Was 100% Healthy, Would DA Have Kept Him For LONG Haul?  (Read 14424 times)

Re: If IT4 Was 100% Healthy, Would DA Have Kept Him For LONG Haul?
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2017, 08:31:51 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Healthy IT > Kyrie

How many posts have you stated this in over the last 3 weeks? It's pretty extreme.  And yet Thomas is not healthy.

Let's clarify this: assuming reasonable health for both, how many NBA teams wouldn't trade IT for Irving straight up on this date / time, IYO? Please explain you're answer if the answer is more than 1-3 teams.
Jeez that's a big call. All offseason I had been defending IT and saying that his level of play in 16-17 was equal to Kyrie. But to say that IT, when health, is superior to Kyrie is pretty crazy.

IT is not healthy, so saying "oh but when he's healthy" is useless, because he might never be the same in terms of health that he was with us. Everyone gets that you don't like the trade (hard to avoid you saying something about it), but that's a bit of a silly thing to say.

This hypothetical presumes a healthy IT.

As for "silly" and "hysterical"...

IT advantages: PPG, APG, 3PT, FTM, eFG%, TS%, ORtg, PER, WS, DWS, OWS, BPM, VORP, clutch shooting and scoring, All-NBA votes, MVP votes, most defensive statistics

Kyrie advantages: FGA, MPG, RPG, SPG, 3PT%, trade demands

Between the two, IT was clearly better last year. That's why when NBA voters looked at the two, IT was All-NBA and 5th in MVP voting.

While I am not going to dispute these stats about last year you have to understand that Danny clearly was not going to keep IT for the "long haul" especially given that Kyrie is 4 years younger.

I think they are equal players (when IT is healthy) and Danny gave up a lot to move an injured IT and replace him with a younger version.

« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Danny chose wisely . 

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2017, 08:48:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kyrie is 4 years younger.

3 years.  8)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2017, 09:53:54 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

3 years.  8)

Many others have said it, but man, you have always been one if the most even keeled, and rational posters on this board, but the Kyrie trade has you trippin'.

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2017, 09:55:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

3 years.  8)

Many others have said it, but man, you have always been one if the most even keeled, and rational posters on this board, but the Kyrie trade has you trippin'.

Because I corrected an oft-repeated factual mistake?

There's a three year age gap.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

3 years.  8)

OK 3 years.  Making him a whole max-contract with player option younger than IT.   

If you could get IT's productivity for 5 more years versus 2, would you make a trade for that?  Because that is what this is all about.

« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2017, 10:19:27 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

You basically have a guy who:
* Is 5'10"
* Is 28 years old
* Was taken 60th in the draft, because everybody knew how huge a liability his height is on D
None of these are measures of how he has actually played.

The bold part did happen in every single game I've seen last season. It is a fact. He was constantly isolated on defense while on court.

Yep, just like Kyrie and Curry.  IT's short, and they're weak/brittle.  He finished higher in MVP voting than both though, so I guess his detriment isn't quite as bad. Crazy stuff, Dario.

LOL what an argument... I feel supported indeed if this is it.

Anyhow, if you think 6'3" players are as easy/frequent to be isolated defensively as a 5'7" player well, maybe you should see more games  ;)  Crazy stuff, yeah.

Why so hung up on isolation? There are more facets to defense than iso. And the metrics show that Kyrie was as bad defensively, if not worse, than IT. He's really bad, there's no way around it. And I know people believe he can become a good one under Brad, because hope is eternal. But I don't believe there is precedent of a player going from p---poor, arguably the worst in the league at defense... to a plus defender. Are you saying he's going to go from extremely terrible to simply awful?

Plus, Kyrie was worse in ISO defense than IT.

Kyrie was in the bottom 12.3% league-wide (among all players, including scrubs).  The only full-time PG who was worse? Rajon Rondo.

IT defended isolations at an average level, at about the 51st percentile.

Conversely, both guys were absolutely elite on offensive isolation, with IT holding the tiniest edge in effectiveness (95.3 percentile, vs. 94.9), but with Kyrie running ISO plays more often (tied with Lebron for fourth in isolation possessions, behind Harden, Westbrook and Carmelo).

True but IT was hidden on the worst offensive player 1-3 on the other team and that player was often forced to attempt to ISO just bc IT was guarding him even though it wasn't his game.

Kylie on the other hand did not have as many defensive accommodations made for him. He has to improve no doubt, but any rational person who watches basketball regularly should agree that if you need a guy to defend a guard in a big spot and your only choices are Kyrie or IT, you pick Kyrie 100 times out of 100. Defense is one area that ITs height limitations just can't be made up from sheer effort and determination. 

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2017, 10:27:56 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

3 years.  8)

I haven't read a single argument that he has made to be irrational or muddied by emotion. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2017, 10:32:23 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
Sorry... duplicated

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2017, 10:33:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

3 years.  8)

OK 3 years.  Making him a whole max-contract with player option younger than IT.   

If you could get IT's productivity for 5 more years versus 2, would you make a trade for that?  Because that is what this is all about.

It's more like IT's production + Crowder's production + Zizic's production + BRK pick's production.

But, that's just rehashing the trade.

On topic, I don't think Danny would have walked away from a healthy IT.  I get the age argument, but Danny committed max dollars to an older Al Horford.

« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2017, 10:39:30 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
I love IT and that's the only truth here  :) 8)

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I think if no trades made sense to DA, he would've kept IT and hoped for Jaylen & Tatum to pop or consolidate and go over the luxury to compete around the A.Davis free agent time period. My opinion of course. No way he saw this Kyrie or any other PG deal coming before passing on a PG in the draft. I think he was more willing to accept IT than actually wanting him despite his amazing play and achievements. Guess the FO didnt think it translated to championships. Celtics made this strictly business.

« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2017, 10:41:27 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum

3 years.  8)

A factual mistake is 6 inches shorter...

« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2017, 10:44:53 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

3 years.  8)

Daniel Theis is 6 inches taller than Kyrie...
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

3 years.  8)

5 inches.  8)

http://www.nbadraft.net/nba-draft-combine-measurements-0