Poll

Would Ainge Keep Isaiah If He Had ZERO Hip Issues, Was Actually 100% Healthy, AND Kyrie Was NEVER Made Available?

Yes. Ainge Would Have Payed Him And IT Would Be Our PG Of The Future
15 (19.2%)
No. Ainge Was NEVER Going To Pay Him. He Was A Goner.
63 (80.8%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: If IT4 Was 100% Healthy, Would DA Have Kept Him For LONG Haul?  (Read 14428 times)

Re: If IT4 Was 100% Healthy, Would DA Have Kept Him For LONG Haul?
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2017, 06:23:02 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I'd imagine they had a very poor relationship for DA to dump him without warning.  So, definitely not -- DA didn't respect IT as a man, he surely wasn't going to resign him.  Hopefully Kyrie is being used the same way, as this pattern seems to help the organization at large.

This is such crap.  First, no GM working on a deal like that would 'give him a warning' else the deal could blow up.  Second, it is probably the exact opposite in terms of how Danny feels personally about IT.

The facts are that IT is a 30-year old guard with a bad leg. Danny doesn't spend money on those guys, so he lets them go.

« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2017, 07:31:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hah.  Alright, well I'd say your bias is seeping through here then.  It's a long series with several chapters and a handful of episodes within each.  It's a good watch, and if you read the PT article, you may appreciate the doc. I'd argue his feelings post-trade are the best indicator of the true nature of their relationship -- he's upset for a reason.  Regardless of our opinions, there's no precedent (correct me if I'm wrong) for a GM to dump a player that carried a historically great franchise for multiple seasons, breaking records along the way, and making significant efforts (and contributions) to impressive growth of the franchise.

Have you ever had a girlfriend unexpectedly break up with you? Before break-up: I love her, she's the best ever! After break-up: What a total b-ch, I hope she falls off a cliff!

I would say this is not the best indicator of the true nature of their relationship - way too many emotions flying around. And the one with the [apparent] sour grapes was definitely the one being dumped.

« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2017, 08:05:27 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'd imagine they had a very poor relationship for DA to dump him without warning.  So, definitely not -- DA didn't respect IT as a man, he surely wasn't going to resign him.  Hopefully Kyrie is being used the same way, as this pattern seems to help the organization at large.

This is such crap.  First, no GM working on a deal like that would 'give him a warning' else the deal could blow up.  Second, it is probably the exact opposite in terms of how Danny feels personally about IT.

The facts are that IT is a 30-year old guard with a bad leg. Danny doesn't spend money on those guys, so he lets them go.

First, check forum rules.  Then, read forum content -- e.g., check out how star players are treated.  I'll wait for a mod to address this via:

Respect each other at all times. Personal attacks are not permitted under any circumstances.  There is no need for name-calling or harassment of any poster. This includes behavior in all areas of Celticsblog, including forum posts, blog comments and personal messages. While we encourage lively debate there is no reason for anyone to disrespect a fellow poster's ideas.  Note: There is no distinction between personally attacking a poster (i.e., "You are stupid") and attacking a posters ideas (i.e., "Your idea is stupid")

Hah.  Alright, well I'd say your bias is seeping through here then.  It's a long series with several chapters and a handful of episodes within each.  It's a good watch, and if you read the PT article, you may appreciate the doc. I'd argue his feelings post-trade are the best indicator of the true nature of their relationship -- he's upset for a reason.  Regardless of our opinions, there's no precedent (correct me if I'm wrong) for a GM to dump a player that carried a historically great franchise for multiple seasons, breaking records along the way, and making significant efforts (and contributions) to impressive growth of the franchise.

Have you ever had a girlfriend unexpectedly break up with you? Before break-up: I love her, she's the best ever! After break-up: What a total b-ch, I hope she falls off a cliff!

I would say this is not the best indicator of the true nature of their relationship - way too many emotions flying around. And the one with the [apparent] sour grapes was definitely the one being dumped.

Romantic relationships are not akin to business.  Emotions were flying around because the dumper was a snake about it.  That sometimes happens in sports, but usually not to players as impactful as IT was.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:14:58 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2017, 08:29:30 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Ainge is always looking to get better.   His son was running for public office in Utah, yet he still went for Gordon Hayward.  If it makes the team better, he will go against the grain.

Wait, what happened in the results? Did his son win?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't think Danny was ever going to pay IT the max and that the Kyrie trade request bailed Danny out of having to make that decision.  Thanks for the Brinks truck comments IT !!!

« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2017, 10:14:50 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

First, check forum rules.  Then, read forum content -- e.g., check out how star players are treated.  I'll wait for a mod to address this via:

Respect each other at all times. Personal attacks are not permitted under any circumstances.  There is no need for name-calling or harassment of any poster. This includes behavior in all areas of Celticsblog, including forum posts, blog comments and personal messages. While we encourage lively debate there is no reason for anyone to disrespect a fellow poster's ideas.  Note: There is no distinction between personally attacking a poster (i.e., "You are stupid") and attacking a posters ideas (i.e., "Your idea is stupid")

Romantic relationships are not akin to business.  Emotions were flying around because the dumper was a snake about it.  That sometimes happens in sports, but usually not to players as impactful as IT was.

I'd guess that there was always a low simmer in both of their minds that told them Thomas was not going to be there long-term. In other words, they probably had a good working relationship, but subconsciously they had tension with each other.

That subconscious tension was given clarity when the trade happened, and it now colors the rest of their relationship, even if the relationship was seemingly good before.

« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2017, 10:51:38 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't think Danny was ever going to pay IT the max and that the Kyrie trade request bailed Danny out of having to make that decision.  Thanks for the Brinks truck comments IT !!!

It's possible Danny and Kyrie's reps spent all late July and all August talking about it (like will Kyrie sign an extension, will he be okay playing in Boston, etc.). Basically doing his "due diligence"

It's possible if IT was healthy Ainge wouldn't do it, but when his hip was in question and he probably knew IT would be out the first 2-2.5 months, it became an "easier decision" for him.

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The more I hear, and the more information that leaks out, the more I think IT was hiding the severity of his hip so he could campaign for, and acquire a max contract. And then he would inform the Celtic organization that he needed a hip operation.

Fortunately for us, we have a GM that saw through this little ploy and did the right thing.

You can't blame IT, he did what was right for the security of his family. He began campaigning for a max deal much too early, and he did it through the media. He colluded with the Celtic medical staff to hide the truth from the organization and got caught. Hence the reason for the medical staff, not being just reprimanded... but being outright fired.

He was a talented offensive weapon, but due to his size a useless defensive player. Danny well knows the value of size and length on an NBA championship team. Out current team has the best record in the NBA, because of Defense.

I think Danny was entertained by the play of IT... but was never sold on him being a max player.

« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2017, 11:30:35 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What if IT4 is willing to take a paycut and accept a role as the 6th man...would you bring him back?

« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2017, 11:42:51 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
What if IT4 is willing to take a paycut and accept a role as the 6th man...would you bring him back?

Absolutely.

Unfortunately we know that's not happening.

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2017, 12:07:51 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

1) How was Danny a snake?
2) Are you really telling on McTyson to the moderators?
3) Did you just get called out by moderators for trolling in another thread?