Author Topic: Trade Idea: Morris for Vonleh & Connaughton  (Read 5812 times)

Trade Idea: Morris for Vonleh & Connaughton
« on: September 06, 2017, 10:48:46 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
CelticsHub article on fitting new pieces together has me concerned about Morris on this squad. Danny needed to make a value move at the time for Bradley, but likely isn't committed to keeping Morris.

I've long felt that Vonleh needs a crack somewhere. He could be an interesting option next to Horford or Baynes. Has shooting potential. Can block shots & board a little. Could be an Olynyk replacement.

Pat C gives them a little shooting at the 2, where we're thin. Easy to cut if roster spot is needed.

Not to mention.... two MEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s coming home.

Portland may be interested in Morris locked up for 2 years on small money, considering their wacky salary problems at other positions, and the need to pay Nurkic. They're pretty thin at the 4.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Trade Idea: Morris for Vonleh & Connaughton
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 10:53:32 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I really like Marcus Morris. He has some dog in him. Exactly what this team needs. Someone doing cup checks as Lebron, etc come driving in hard to the lane. I'm not saying he's Perk.... but he might have a little Perk in him.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd much rather have Morris who is an established nba player than two fringe nba guys. 

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was pretty okay with the deal that sent Bradley to DET in exchange for Morris. I loved that he had an extra year on his contract (unlike Bradley) and that he was signed for a very affordable amount. It seemed like the best way to turn the looming Bradley FA into a positive. In my mind, he also served as a hybrid KO/Amir replacement since he can hit the deep ball and bang down low.

I will be interested to see how he meshes with this team. What we really need from him is to rebound, defend from the post out to the perimeter, and hit the 3-ball. We will miss the playmaking from KO, but I think Hayward should more than make up for that (it wasn't exactly Crowder's best ability).

That being said, if he doesn't quite fit in or tries to do too much iso and is taking long 2s, I wouldn't hesitate to send him for a player on a rookie contract (with at least the same # of years). It has yet to be seen if Morris can fit seamlessly into the team concept.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 12:19:45 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
From the discussed article:

http://www.celticshub.com/2017/09/03/fitting-new-look-celtics-together/

MORRIS v. CROWDER

"The difference between these players is stark. Crowder was a dramatically more efficient offensive player than Morris last season but in lower volume. Now that Crowder is gone, I suspect a lot of fans will finally recognize just how good and important he was. He embodied the “3-and-D” role and stretched defenses to the three point line all the way around the arc.

Morris plays more like early Paul Pierce, but without the ability to make the ball go in the hole. Entirely too many of his possessions included multiple dribbles. He isn’t a particularly effective scorer in off ball situations but his frequent pick-and-roll play was an unmitigated disaster. Stevens is going to have to take all of those play types out of his game.

This should be a concern for Celtics fans as Stan van Gundy was an early proponent of the spread pick-and-roll and didn’t, or couldn’t, get Morris to accept the 3-and-D role that plays a huge part of that."

CHALLENGE: SPACING

Marcus Morris can move back out of mid-range and focus on taking more of the shots that Jae used to, but he’s an average 3PT shooter for his career and only made 33% from the arc last season.

WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR

Danny Ainge has already hinted, maybe jokingly, that there could be even more changes to come. I would be searching for more of a shooting big than a rebounder and looking around for contracts that might match up in a Marcus Morris trade. With time I’m sure Stevens could find a way to use Morris, but with time he’ll be replaced by Brown and Tatum anyway.

Basically, seems like the guy struggles to be an effective 3, and is not cut out to be a stretch 4 / rebounder. I'd rather have shooting at the 2 and 4 in role guys than an overrated Alpha type, even if he's got a good contract. I'm not worried about Wyc's check book if a guy like Vonleh pans out.

I haven't seen this Morris brother play a ton. He seems to be living more on name and rep then actual value. 

That said, Morris probably should be worth more than this... maybe POR is a team that would give up more, maybe not. But I for one would resist the notion that trading Morris has to net a Bradley like return. The circumstances of that trade were specific and suboptimal, and to me, Morris has the potential to ride a decent amount of pine for the Cs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:29:34 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Morris fits this team perfectly and will most likely be the teams starting 4. Why trade him for two players on the bubble of NBA/DLeague cusp?

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Morris fits this team perfectly and will most likely be the teams starting 4. Why trade him for two players on the bubble of NBA/DLeague cusp?

How does he fit the team perfectly? Did you read what I posted above? He appears to fit the team pretty poorly, in reality.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 12:35:12 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
I'd much rather have Morris who is an established nba player than two fringe nba guys.

I get it. What I'm arguing is that Vonleh has the potential to more than NBA fringe guy. I've always liked his shooting stroke and defensive instincts.

He's still very young and would be an RFA at the end of the year. As evidenced by Noel, that gives the Cs leverage. He could be a good role guy over the next few years.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

I get it. What I'm arguing is that Vonleh has the potential to more than NBA fringe guy. I've always liked his shooting stroke and defensive instincts.

He's still very young and would be an RFA at the end of the year. As evidenced by Noel, that gives the Cs leverage. He could be a good role guy over the next few years.
It's very possible that he improves.  I just think with an Irving, Horford, and Hayward core Ainge/Stevens would prefer an established player right now.  They have a ton of their own players to develop.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Morris has a very good contract, fills a need (starting PF to stretch the floor) and is the best player of the trade. So... No.

I say Vonleh intrigues me, but the stage of trying to test players is over. We want to win.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 02:09:30 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Morris has a very good contract, fills a need (starting PF to stretch the floor) and is the best player of the trade. So... No.

I say Vonleh intrigues me, but the stage of trying to test players is over. We want to win.

Again, point is: Morris is actually not a good 'stretch the floor' guy. That's not how he's played historically. And the Cs may very well have some spacing issues as currently constituted.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I agree with you, trading a fringe NBA starter for two scrubs isn't a good deal.

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald

Again, point is: Morris is actually not a good 'stretch the floor' guy. That's not how he's played historically. And the Cs may very well have some spacing issues as currently constituted.
As of now Morris is a much better all around player and Vonleh isn't established as a stretch anything.  He's a 29% career 3 point shooter.  Not good.

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Huh what?

Vonleh is basically Thomas Robinson at this point... he can rebound and nothing else. Can't shoot, can't score, doesn't block shots.

Pat Connaughton is barely in the league.

Morris is a legitimate 30mpg guy on most teams. He has his flaws but this would be an awful deal... a key role player on a top team for two end of the bench scrubs.

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

As of now Morris is a much better all around player and Vonleh isn't established as a stretch anything.  He's a 29% career 3 point shooter.  Not good.

TP. Trading a dollar for two quarters is no good in this league.