Author Topic: Non Celtics trade: Cle-Mil-NYK  (Read 2239 times)

Non Celtics trade: Cle-Mil-NYK
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:57:26 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think Cleveland aren't done trading, after the Irving trade I wouldn't put them closer to GS than before, but they do have some added versatility. I don't think they are minded to trade the Brooklyn pick unless they are presented with a no brainer. However there are still players out there that they have been linked to who make sense.

Cle in: Melo, O'Quinn, lotto protected 1st
Cle out: Love, Shump

NYK in: Shump, Monroe, Parker
NYK out: Melo, O'Quinn, lotto protected 1st

Mil in: Love
Mil out: Monroe, Parker

Why for Cleveland? Love is a very good player but he doesn't provide what is needed to beat GS, he isn't quick enough on defence and he can't move into the C role. If James leaves in the summer he also doesn't fit with their longer rebuilding timeline. I query here if they get anywhere near the value they should get for him but they do dump Shump and gain Melo who is a much better fit in the PF role in Cleveland. His bully ball style would be far more effective against the GS players, particularly Durant. A lotto protected pick should even the value.

Why for New York? They gain Parker for Melo at the price of Shumps contract. Parker is a high risk player at this point but should he work out then he's a great front court partner for KP. They give up a future 1st but they would be trending up and that shouldn't hurt too much. Monroe is an interesting piece here, should he fit well he may find a future there.

Why for Milwaukee? They get Love to partner with GA in their growing core. They would have Thon developing at C and can play Henson there as well. Love adds spacing that they desperately need alongside GA. They give up Monroe, who is leaving anyway, and Parker, who is oft injured.

Thoughts welcome
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:28:00 AM by TheSundanceKid »

Re: Non Celtics trade: Cle-Mil-NYK
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 07:05:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
That 1st needs to be top 7 protected at least for Cleveland to even get them to do the deal.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:17:20 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Hmm, this is interesting.

I generally like the deal from all perspectives.

NY won't get any package better than that for Melo, even with Parker's injury history. Parker and Porzingis could eventually make a dynamic 4/5 combo.

Love the trade for Milwaukee, too, especially if they think Parker will be really limited once he gets back. Love is a really nice fit for them at the 4, along with being a good vet presence for that young team. I think they could be the third best team in the East after that trade if they're healthy.

Cleveland is the big question mark. While I think that's probably close to fair value, they probably want a bit more to make such a drastic trade. However, though it's probably unlikely that this alone would keep Lebron in Cleveland, it does make it a bit more likely of him staying by increasing the chances of creating the "super friends" team in Cleveland.

From a Celtics perspective, there's both good and bad things about it. The good thing is that this would most likely mean we're going to the Finals this year. We match up much better against Melo at the 4 than Love at the 4. The bad thing is that you're making Milwaukee stronger, which is dangerous given their youth, athleticism, length, and superstar in Giannis. They could end up being a strong rival for years to come.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:19:35 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Lebron may not think so, but Love for Melo makes CLE a worse team.

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
That is an absolutely terrible trade for Cleveland.  New York makes out like bandits.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
Hmm, this is interesting.

I generally like the deal from all perspectives.

NY won't get any package better than that for Melo, even with Parker's injury history. Parker and Porzingis could eventually make a dynamic 4/5 combo.

Love the trade for Milwaukee, too, especially if they think Parker will be really limited once he gets back. Love is a really nice fit for them at the 4, along with being a good vet presence for that young team. I think they could be the third best team in the East after that trade if they're healthy.

Cleveland is the big question mark. While I think that's probably close to fair value, they probably want a bit more to make such a drastic trade. However, though it's probably unlikely that this alone would keep Lebron in Cleveland, it does make it a bit more likely of him staying by increasing the chances of creating the "super friends" team in Cleveland.

From a Celtics perspective, there's both good and bad things about it. The good thing is that this would most likely mean we're going to the Finals this year. We match up much better against Melo at the 4 than Love at the 4. The bad thing is that you're making Milwaukee stronger, which is dangerous given their youth, athleticism, length, and superstar in Giannis. They could end up being a strong rival for years to come.
Alone it probably wouldn't. If they did choose to use the Brooklyn pick to chase Cousins, as per some reports, that could be enough. TT + Nets pick type package for Cousins. Not sure if that's a good decision though.

Milwaukee end up very strong after this trade, coming back to it I'd still like them to give up more, I just need to think how and what.

That is an absolutely terrible trade for Cleveland.  New York makes out like bandits.

I guess that depends on your view of Parker's future. Personally I don't think he'll ever get to where he was projected and he'll top out as a good starter. Monroe is an expiring, there isn't much value in him here, he'll look for a pay day in the summer.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I guess that depends on your view of Parker's future. Personally I don't think he'll ever get to where he was projected and he'll top out as a good starter. Monroe is an expiring, there isn't much value in him here, he'll look for a pay day in the summer.
Come on the Knicks are giving up the headache that is Anthony, a bench center, and a lottery protected 1st for Parker, Monroe, and Shumpert.  That is a great trade for them even under your pessimistic view of Parker, he still is better than O'Quinn and Anthony won't be there past this season anyway.  And if the Cavs would actually trade Love for Anthony, they would have traded with each other already.  Anthony has very limited value.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 02:39:47 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

Come on the Knicks are giving up the headache that is Anthony, a bench center, and a lottery protected 1st for Parker, Monroe, and Shumpert.  That is a great trade for them even under your pessimistic view of Parker, he still is better than O'Quinn and Anthony won't be there past this season anyway.  And if the Cavs would actually trade Love for Anthony, they would have traded with each other already.  Anthony has very limited value.
Whilst I don't disagree with your points on value, there are several bits that swing it to fairness. The first is the pick, Cleveland wouldn't get that in a straight up trade. I also don't think the Knicks would take Shump in a straight up trade either, which saves Cleveland tax dollars. Also I don't think Milwaukee get fair value by receiving Love which frees them up to move Parker. If you could persuade the Knicks to give up a pick in this deal on top of the rest then would that make it fairer?

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 01:14:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Whilst I don't disagree with your points on value, there are several bits that swing it to fairness. The first is the pick, Cleveland wouldn't get that in a straight up trade. I also don't think the Knicks would take Shump in a straight up trade either, which saves Cleveland tax dollars. Also I don't think Milwaukee get fair value by receiving Love which frees them up to move Parker. If you could persuade the Knicks to give up a pick in this deal on top of the rest then would that make it fairer?
Love has a lot more value than Anthony, O'Quinn, and a lottery protected 1st.  There is no way the Cavs make a trade like that.  I do think if they acquire Anthony, they would have to move Love (as you really can't play James, Love, and Anthony for long periods together), but they aren't going to trade Love for that collection of garbage.