Author Topic: Melo to Houston will occur within 2 weeks (espn sp). Jabari parker in trade talk  (Read 9629 times)

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Mentioned in the talks means that the Knicks asked for him, odds of them getting him unless they are sending out more than Melo is basically zero.

That's sports reporting, sadly.

NYK: "How about Jabari"?"

MIL: "Nope".

Reporter: "The Knicks and Bucks discussed Jabari Parker".

Well, it's not entirely out of the question if the Knicks are legitimately listening to offers for Porzingis (who clearly doesn't seem to want to be there right now). 

The following works in trade machine...

Knicks get:
Ryan Anderson (19.6M) from Houston
Trevor Ariza (7.4M) from Houston
Jabari Parker (6.8M) from Milwaukee

Houston gets:
Carmelo Anthony (26.2M) from New York

Milwaukee gets:
Kristaps Porzingis (4.5M) from New York

Probably makes some sense for all three teams.  Knick add a 21 year old 20/6 guy in Parker, who compensates for losing Porzingis.  Ariza is a nice player on a great contract, and as bad as Ryan Anderson's contract is, at least he is a prototypical stretch big for today's NBA. That's actually a solid return for the Knicks.

Milwaukee would instantly go into beast mode, building around Porzingis and Giannis - scary team for the future right there.

Houston gets Carmelo so they can form their own big 3 (with CP3, Harden, Carmelo).

I think everybody comes out pretty happy tbh.
lol thats an awful awful move for New York.

They get back a trash contract, a prospect with double ACL tears, and Trevor Ariza...
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Why would Porzingis leave NY, esp if Carmelo is leaving? Zinger can be the official face of the franchise.

Not sure about the French kid, but I think NYK messed up by passing on Dennis Smith. I think he can be a special PG.

I'm ready to not think about where Carmelo is going anymore. It seems like he's been on the move for many years now.

Daryl Morey can't be psyched with a Paul, Harden, Carmelo core, can he? I don't see the chemistry and I don't see the elite talent that beats GS. If Houston picks Carmelo up, it can't cost that much, right?!?!?

It's not a Core built for the long term, and clearly it wasn't designed as well as say our old big three but at this point the Rockets have extremely limited flexibility and could do worse. I see the concerns between Chris Paul and Harden being able to operate in the same backcourt but I actually think Melo is part that makes the most sense.

Anytime the ball touches his hands Carmelo can generate his own shot. He doesn't need to prod the defense, or have a pick-and-roll run for him, he can just put his head down and find a bucket. Meanwhile Paul and Capella can become new best friends and Harden can focus on primary scoring and secondary facilitating.

Melo stats take the biggest hit and Paul enters the stage of his career where people stop thinking of him as a top-10 player but overall the team is contending and actually making the Warriors have to work their way to a finals appearance. It's an interesting team, hopefully it goes through.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Mentioned in the talks means that the Knicks asked for him, odds of them getting him unless they are sending out more than Melo is basically zero.

Well, it's not entirely out of the question if the Knicks are legitimately listening to offers for Porzingis (who clearly doesn't seem to want to be there right now). 

Knicks get:

Houston gets:

Milwaukee gets:

Probably makes some sense for all three teams.  Knick add a 21 year old 20/6 guy in Parker, who compensates for losing Porzingis.  Ariza is a nice player on a great contract, and as bad as Ryan Anderson's contract is, at least he is a prototypical stretch big for today's NBA. That's actually a solid return for the Knicks.

Milwaukee would instantly go into beast mode, building around Porzingis and Giannis - scary team for the future right there.

Houston gets Carmelo so they can form their own big 3 (with CP3, Harden, Carmelo).

They get back a trash contract, a prospect with double ACL tears, and Trevor Ariza...

Yeah, it's basically two trades:

Anderson + Ariza for Carmelo

Jabari for KP

New York probably turns both down.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Knicks get:

Houston gets:

Milwaukee gets:

It really depends on:

1. How desperate they are to move Carmelo and get started with rebuilding (if he wants to go to Houston, and won't waive his NTC for anybody else, then have to take the deal or be stuck with him)

2. How wiling they really are to move Porzingis

3. How many other sweeteners (picks, etc) might be offered to them in addition

Plus lets not forget, this is the Knicks we're talking about - when have you known them to ever make a GOOD personnel decision?

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Knicks get:

Houston gets:

Milwaukee gets:

It really depends on:

1. How desperate they are to move Carmelo and get started with rebuilding (if he wants to go to Houston, and won't waive his NTC for anybody else, then have to take the deal or be stuck with him)

2. How wiling they really are to move Porzingis

3. How many other sweeteners (picks, etc) might be offered to them in addition

Plus lets not forget, this is the Knicks we're talking about - when have you known them to ever make a GOOD personnel decision?
If they were willing to move Porzingis with Melo then teams would already have snapped that up. We'd would likely have moved the Brooklyn pick for it. Melo could well opt out of his player option which means he's basically an expiring which brings a lot more teams into the mix.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm sure there are 3 team trades with the Bucks, Rockets, and Knicks, even those with Porzingis, that make sense, but in those trades there is no way the Knicks are taking on Ryan Anderson and I'm pretty confident Noah would be going out as well.  For example, I think this trade would make at least some sense (though still don't think NY moves on from the Zinger)

Houston - Anthony
Milwaukee - Anderson, Noah, Porzingis
NY - Monroe, Ariza, Parker, Henson, MIL 1st

Other players can be added, so like Lance Thomas or Courtney Lee could be moved from NY to one of the teams.  Dellavedova could be added salary.  Houston has a bunch of small contracts on young players that could be moved.  the Bucks have Maker who could maybe be included.  Lots of pieces to play with, but at the end of the day unless the Zinger has asked to be traded, I don't see why NY would trade him and if they did, I suspect they could get a better package than that, but at least the trade above they don't take on Anderson and they move Noah.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'm sure there are 3 team trades with the Bucks, Rockets, and Knicks, even those with Porzingis, that make sense, but in those trades there is no way the Knicks are taking on Ryan Anderson and I'm pretty confident Noah would be going out as well.  For example, I think this trade would make at least some sense (though still don't think NY moves on from the Zinger)

Houston - Anthony
Milwaukee - Anderson, Noah, Porzingis
NY - Monroe, Ariza, Parker, Henson, MIL 1st

Other players can be added, so like Lance Thomas or Courtney Lee could be moved from NY to one of the teams.  Dellavedova could be added salary.  Houston has a bunch of small contracts on young players that could be moved.  the Bucks have Maker who could maybe be included.  Lots of pieces to play with, but at the end of the day unless the Zinger has asked to be traded, I don't see why NY would trade him and if they did, I suspect they could get a better package than that, but at least the trade above they don't take on Anderson and they move Noah.   
If N.Y. was ever to trade Porzingis it would be for a bunch of young players/picks so that they can conduct a proper rebuild and tank for a couple seasons.  In your trade you are basically using Porzingis do dump Noah in exchange for cap space and middling talent at best. Why would they ever do that?  If they trade Melo and Porzingis there will be no need to dump Noah, they can just ride out his contract while they tank.

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
The Knicks aren't moving Porzingis, that's message board fantasy-land stuff from fan bases (like Milwaukee's) that want to add a foundational piece without giving up equivalent value in return. Houston doesn't have the pieces to get a Carmelo deal done, so if he really wants to head elsewhere he's going to have to either open up his to a few more teams or resign himself to playing out the year in New York. As it is the Knicks have a reasonable shot at one of the last playoff spots in the East, and it was the previous regime that was desperately trying to move him, so I don't think the NY front office is really sweating out having to bring back Carmelo instead of taking on the rest of Ryan Anderson's deal.   

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Almost approaching 2 weeks and nothing on the Melo-to-Houston front  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller