Poll

Who Do The Celtics Sign With The Minimum To Fill Out Roster?

Andrew Bogut
28 (28.3%)
Lavoy Allen
8 (8.1%)
Tony Allen
4 (4%)
Thomas Robinson
28 (28.3%)
Gerald Green
1 (1%)
Shabazz Muhammad
2 (2%)
Boris Diaw
6 (6.1%)
Tyler Zeller
7 (7.1%)
No One
11 (11.1%)
Other Or Via Trade For Someone Else (Comment Below!)
4 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Author Topic: Poll: Who Will The C's Sign For Last Roster Spot Using The Minimum?  (Read 10280 times)

Re: Poll: Who Will The C's Sign For Last Roster Spot Using The Minimum?
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I would have to say Thomas Robinson as the #1 choice for me right now. 

At the moment our only rebounder on the entire team is Baynes - if he were to miss significant time for any reason, then we literally do not have a rebounder on the entire roster.  So I feel having a little bit of insurance there would be nice - and Robinson's youth and athleticism should be a nicer fit for the team, as he can at least fit in with an up tempo style of play.   

Second choice is probably Bogut.  He's a better player then Robinson obviously, but his injury history at his age is beyond concerning.  Bogut is one of those guys who you can sign, and if you get half a season out of him you are feeling pretty good.  He's on the old side, he's not especially mobile, he's injury prone (understatement), and he's probably pretty rusty given he hasn't really played in some time.  Still when he is healthy he can be a game changer defensively, and he definitely fills a need with his rebounding and rim protection.

Next on my list would actually be Gerald Green.  I liked what we got from him last year (especially in the playoffs) as a versatile wing who can play and guard multiple positions, knows Brad Steven's system, and can put up points in a huge hurry when he gets hot.  Plus he won't complain about his role or playing time, so he won't be a hinderance to the development of our young guys. 

Our second unit is very young, especially on the perimeter (Rozier, Smart, Brown, Tatum) so I wouldn't mind a seasoned vet out there to solidify that second unit. I actually would rather have Green back then anybody else based on the player alone - but have chosen Robinson and Bogut above him because I feel that the big / rebounding need is more pressing right now.

I guess the plus side with Bogut is we wouldn't even really need him during the regular season - we could rest him, keep him on minutes restrictions if need be - even if its just 10 minutes a night.  If we could preserve him long enough for him to be able to play meaningful minutes in the playoffs, then he could be a legitimate difference maker.

So on that note, here's my perfect scenario.  Waive one of the scrubs (probably Nader) and then sign both Bogut and Green.  I'd feel much more comfortable about this team (especially come playoff time) knowing we have two additional proven vets on the roster who can make a genuine impact - rather then a bunch of prospects that we have no clue what to expect from. 

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 08:47:57 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Voted no one.  Going down the list of remaining free agents, I don't see any great options.  Rather keep the roster spot open for flexibility.

No interest in Bogut, too injury prone.  I can understand why many people want Thomas Robinson for his rebounding ability, but the rest of his game is seriously lacking.  He failed to carve out a role on a horrendous Nets team despite the fact that the Nets had no good bigs other than Lopez, and also could not establish himself anywhere else he bounced around to.  I'd rather have an empty roster spot.

Festus Ezeli seems intriguing if he can recover from surgery, but that's still up in the air and past reports have indicated that he may never play again.

I guess I'd be OK with re-signing Gerald Green, but I think Danny purposely did not do this to assure playing time for Brown and Tatum.  In Danny's interview following the Irving & Hayward press conference, he discussed the importance of giving the youngsters a chance to play, and how he felt that trading G. Wallace for David Lee a few years back created a logjam that wasn't positive for the team.

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 09:16:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Toni Kukoc.

His wheelchair you mean?

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Robinson or Bogut. This team is very thin in the big department. If Baynes or Horford misses any time due to injury we'd have a serious size problem.

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2017, 11:55:56 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Voted no one.  Going down the list of remaining free agents, I don't see any great options.  Rather keep the roster spot open for flexibility.

No interest in Bogut, too injury prone.  I can understand why many people want Thomas Robinson for his rebounding ability, but the rest of his game is seriously lacking.  He failed to carve out a role on a horrendous Nets team despite the fact that the Nets had no good bigs other than Lopez, and also could not establish himself anywhere else he bounced around to.  I'd rather have an empty roster spot.

Festus Ezeli seems intriguing if he can recover from surgery, but that's still up in the air and past reports have indicated that he may never play again.

I guess I'd be OK with re-signing Gerald Green, but I think Danny purposely did not do this to assure playing time for Brown and Tatum.  In Danny's interview following the Irving & Hayward press conference, he discussed the importance of giving the youngsters a chance to play, and how he felt that trading G. Wallace for David Lee a few years back created a logjam that wasn't positive for the team.

I'm pretty sure the reason that he didn't do this is that he had to renounce Gerald Green in order to clear any cap holds, so he would then have the cap space to sign Hayward to the max. 

I don't think Green would create a problem with Brown / Tatum.  He was an end of bench guy most of last year and barely got on the court. I don't see why Danny would have any issue keeping him on the bench this year while Brown/Tatum get the majority of those spare wing minutes. 

His presence would be more for added insurance/depth on the perimeter, and a veteran presence .  Right now the most experienced perimeter player on our bench is 23 year old Marcus Smart, and we really don't know what we can realistically expect out of Rozier, Brown, Tatum or Nader.  Green is at least a known entity, and he's there as an option if it's needed.

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 12:05:39 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

His wheelchair you mean?

This is Toni at 34 y/o.  Looks like he has at least 10 good years in him. Championship pedigree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj4T_OgW6Oc
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 12:12:11 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

His wheelchair you mean?

This is Toni at 34 y/o.  Looks like he has at least 10 good years in him. Championship pedigree.

Toni Kukoc is 48 years old...

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2017, 12:15:29 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Shabazz is the best player in that bunch right now.  Still young, still has upside.  I think he would be a great pickup! 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2017, 12:19:17 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Andrew Bogut.

We need a big? He's a big.

We need a rim protector? He is one.

Does he move the ball? Yes

I get the injury history, but for the minimum, it's a low risk-high reward signing.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2017, 12:31:44 AM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997

I'm pretty sure the reason that he didn't do this is that he had to renounce Gerald Green in order to clear any cap holds, so he would then have the cap space to sign Hayward to the max. 

I don't think Green would create a problem with Brown / Tatum.  He was an end of bench guy most of last year and barely got on the court. I don't see why Danny would have any issue keeping him on the bench this year while Brown/Tatum get the majority of those spare wing minutes. 

His presence would be more for added insurance/depth on the perimeter, and a veteran presence .  Right now the most experienced perimeter player on our bench is 23 year old Marcus Smart, and we really don't know what we can realistically expect out of Rozier, Brown, Tatum or Nader.  Green is at least a known entity, and he's there as an option if it's needed.

That's fair.  The more I think about it I would like to have Green back, but I'd still be fine leaving the roster spot open.  Meant to also say would not sign, not did

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2017, 12:54:16 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

His wheelchair you mean?

Toni Kukoc is 48 years old young...

FTFY
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2017, 09:22:20 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Tony Allen hands down

He gives us a veteran presence with a still effective  skill set and  wing defensive depth.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2017, 10:48:22 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
My order of preference would be:

• Bogut
  • Tony Allen
  • Gerald Green
  • Leave it open

I do not want Thomas Robinson.  Watching him play on offense is ... painful to the eyes.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 11:22:38 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
It looks like Celtics are one of four teams that will likely get Bogut.

Decision should come next week.  :o

And Tony Allen to Pelicans, so he's no longer an option. Neither is Zeller who is Brooklyn bound.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Wish we got Bogut for his passing, but has anyone mentioned Nikola Mirotic? Could provide shooting, rebounding, and FTs off the bench.
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy