Author Topic: Anthony Davis trade scenario  (Read 3286 times)

Anthony Davis trade scenario
« on: September 04, 2017, 03:57:06 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I know this won't happen like this...it never does but this is a logical hypothesis.

I think the Pelicans will be eliminated from the playoffs picture very early given the depth in the West, which will lead to a panicking GM trading away Cousins for pennies on the dollar. IF and this is a big if, Davis publicly asked to be traded (or it's leaked) this will automatically deflate his value as we have seen from George, Butler and Irving.

Trade Proposal:

Pelicans receive: Drummond, Tatum, Rozier, Yabusele, Lakers pick, Clippers pick, Memphis pick
Celtics receive: Davis, Asik
Pistons receive: Horford

Pelicans benefits are:

- Drummond is top level forward to replace Davis that is locked into a long term contract
- Tatum could be a franchise level player in time
- Cap relief from Boston taking Asik's terrible contract
- Rozier is a quality starter still on rookie deal
- Multiple top level picks that could be packaged or for several shots at another franchise star
- Ability to compete while rebuilding

Detroit benefits are:

- Insiders have reported that Detroit is done with Drummond and has him on the block, under Van Gundy they still want to compete and Horford would make a fantastic replacement and mentor for young team.
- Horford is locked down long term and is from the Michigan area

Thoughts?

Re: Anthony Davis trade scenario
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:12:52 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I know this won't happen like this...it never does but this is a logical hypothesis.

I think the Pelicans will be eliminated from the playoffs picture very early given the depth in the West, which will lead to a panicking GM trading away Cousins for pennies on the dollar. IF and this is a big if, Davis publicly asked to be traded (or it's leaked) this will automatically deflate his value as we have seen from George, Butler and Irving.

Trade Proposal:

Pelicans receive: Drummond, Tatum, Rozier, Yabusele, Lakers pick, Clippers pick, Memphis pick

Pelicans benefits are:

- Drummond is top level forward to replace Davis that is locked into a long term contract
- Multiple top level picks that could be packaged or for several shots at another franchise star

Detroit benefits are:

- Insiders have reported that Detroit is done with Drummond and has him on the block, under Van Gundy they still want to compete and Horford would make a fantastic replacement and mentor for young team.

Thoughts?
Cousins would be a free agent after the Pelicans are eliminated from the Playoffs, so he wouldn’t be their panicking GMs to trade. And while some of the stars who demand a trade do see their value automatically deflate, not all do. The Cavs got a ton of value for Irving, even though he demanded a trade. And even after this season, Davis will still have 3 years left on his deal. No player option, so 3 years more of actual team control, even if we traded for him after this season. That coupled with the fact that he is a better and more balanced player than all of George, Butler, and Irving, means even if he demands a trade his value will still be sky high. Every team would be in on him, and it would be easy for the Pelicans to wait their potential trade partners out. 3 more years of a young, balanced superstar would cost a boat load to pry from the Pelicans.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 05:58:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It is hard for me to quantify Drummonds market worth.

I mean he is nimble, a beast physically, still fairly young, but on the other hand, a guy like Baynes can be more useful as he doesn't possess a critical weakness (FTs) like Drummond does.

Team             2017-18            2018-19            2019-20            2020-21 (P.O.)
Det Pistons   $23,775,506   $25,434,263     $27,093,019      $28,751,775

Is he a positive,  0-worth or negative asset?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:37:32 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like the creativity of the trade, TP. That does seem like good value for Davis but I can't see the Pelicans moving Davis without moving Cousins as well in a full rebuild situation.  Maybe a three way of C's, Bucks, and Pelicans.

C's get= Davis, Middleton, and a TPE from Bucks.

Bucks get= Cousins, and Smart.

Pelicans get= Horford, Maker, Tatum, and Brown + Lakers pick.

Teams end up as
C's: Irving, Middleton, Hayward, Davis, Baynes
bench: Rozier, Green, Morris, Semi, Theis

Bucks: Smart, Brogdon, Giannis, Parker, Cousins
bench: Della, Snell, Tele, Henson, Monroe

Pelicans: Holiday, Brown, Tatum, Thon, Horford
bench: Rondo, Moore, Hill, Diallo, Asik

C's end up with an elite starting unit.
Pelicans get an elite level prospect rebuild and Lakers pick.
Bucks get an elite big and a top defensive PG.

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Davis' value would not go down much if he asked for a trade.  There would be too much interest from other teams. 

Drummond is a pure center not a forward and I wouldn't call him top level.  His only top level skill is rebounding. 

Davis wouldn't ask for a trade until after this season.  That would leave Drummond with 2 years plus a player option.  Just like Davis would have.   

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 07:44:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I mean he is nimble, a beast physically, still fairly young, but on the other hand, a guy like Baynes can be more useful as he doesn't possess a critical weakness (FTs) like Drummond does.

Team             2017-18            2018-19            2019-20            2020-21 (P.O.)

Positive, but I wouldn't spend any more than the Lakers pick on him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Positive, but I wouldn't spend any more than the Lakers pick on him.
I currently view him as a slight negative, but it fluctuates.

MINUS
- It is a big contract to justify
- He is a center but doesn't defend as much as u need
- Has critical weakness that takes him out of the floor
PLUS
+ Last 4 years combined, he leads the league in Reb%
+ He provides a great lob target
+ Still, just turned 24, there is some room to grow
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 08:49:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think he is coming here, folks.   I would love it, you would love it but what is it going to take a load of picks, Big AL and probably Tatum or Brown or both.

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

Trade Proposal:

Pelicans benefits are:

Detroit benefits are:

Thoughts?

Interesting. Hard part is finding that 3rd Team. I don't know if Detriot is it? Wouldn't Drummund Cousins play same position?

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 06:50:06 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Hate it. I hate any trade that gives up all of our young players. If we can't draft and develop some young stars, we don't deserve another title.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 07:31:19 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This would be quite an accomplishment even for the woefully mismanaged Pelicans, losing two of the NBA's elite big men in the primes of their careers basically in the same season.

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I highly doubt the Pelicans would be willing to take on Drummond.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 08:26:22 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
If I were the Pelicans, I would laugh at this and hang up the phone. 

Don't get me wrong, that is a 'decent' package of quality assets coming back - but Anthony Davis is a young franchise player who hasn't even reached his prime yet, who remains under contract for some time. 

If I'm the Pelican's GM I would not hear out a single call about AD unless it starts with the Pelicans receiving either a superstar player or a top 3 pick.   Any trade offer from Boston for AD would have to start with either Kyrie / Hayward and the Lakers pick at a minimum.  Anything less and I'd be saying "forget it".  And as much as I like Davis, I wouldn't give up Kyrie or Hayward AND the Lakers pick for him.  Ainge has already given up the majority of this teams depth, cap space and future picks in order to get the team to where it is right now.  At this point the roster feels almost like a skeleton staff, and if we want any hope of making the ECF I really don't think we can afford to lose any more players.

I'd be willing to offer up Horford and the Lakers pick if it could get us back a young (< 28) star bit man who can grow with Kyrie and Hayward, as I just don't feel Horford its in with the rest of the roster in that regard...but I doubt those two guys would get us back an player of AD's calibre. 

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
heard them talking on ESPN this morning about Love and BKN for Anthony Davis as an actual rumor.  It is probably a nonsense rumor but it was an interesting thing to ponder.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 09:29:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Embedded in this big trade is a small trade of Horford for Drummond.  I don't think there is any realistic trade for Davis so I kind of glassed over on the rest of it but would trading Horford for Drummond be a good trade (fair value)?

I am OK with trading Horford in the right deal (he doesn't fit our timeline very well) but I don't think I would trade him straight up for Drummond.  Drummond has value but guys like him (who can't shoot free throws or otherwise) tend to slow things down or make it easier to play team defense schemes against you.