Author Topic: Nerlens Noel to Boston next offseason  (Read 4685 times)

Re: Nerlens Noel to Boston next offseason
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 04:08:09 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I still can't believe he turned down $70M/4 yrs. I suppose it's still possible he and the Mavs come to an agreement next off-season in the same ballpark - they should have cap space - but that is really taking a chance given the fact that he hasn't shown any improvement since his rookie year...or 2nd year since he missed his entire rookie year.

There are a lot of good free agents available next summer. Even if Noel plays well, it is difficult to see him get a long term contract worth more than $18M/yr anywhere. And, if he does, it better be a vast increase on that, as he could already be making that amount this year rather than the freakin' QO - it's asinine!

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 04:22:49 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I still can't believe he turned down $70M/4 yrs. I suppose it's still possible he and the Mavs come to an agreement next off-season in the same ballpark - they should have cap space - but that is really taking a chance given the fact that he hasn't shown any improvement since his rookie year...or 2nd year since he missed his entire rookie year.

There are a lot of good free agents available next summer. Even if Noel plays well, it is difficult to see him get a long term contract worth more than $18M/yr anywhere. And, if he does, it better be a vast increase on that, as he could already be making that amount this year rather than the freakin' QO - it's asinine!

Totally agree. Bad advice.
If I were him I'd get a new agent.

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Ego gets in the way of smart decisions.  There won't be that many teams that are going to have significant cap space..  I'll be surprised if he gets more than 4yr/60M. If he gets injured again, he's going to get a whole lot less. 

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 04:54:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think he ends up here unless we get a hometown deal for us.   He simply lacks skills on the offensive end to play in CBS system. 

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 04:59:38 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Yep, I think he turned down $16M/yr with Dallas so he could become an UFA next year. He'll want $20M/yr at least depending on how he does this year.

We'd have to trade for him. And offer some kind of package that included Rozier, Yabu, and Morris.

Trading for him wouldn't help.  Because he signed the QO, if he gets traded his Bird Rights don't go with him.  We'd be able to offer him a modest pay raise, but nowhere near what he can get anywhere else.

The ship has sailed on Noel.

Can Dallas sign and trade him next summer?

Sure, but what salary would we be sending out?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 05:26:05 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
funny I read the title Anthony Davis to Boston next offseason but without my glasses it looked like Nerlens Noel

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 05:48:31 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
For years I've been saying Noel is a fringe NBA player while a lot of people were talking about offering him a max contract.  Rick Carlisle sees it.  Now he's making less money than Aron Baynes.  He and his agent are fools for turning down 4/$70M.  He's had 3 major knee surgeries.

He played 22mpg on a 33 win mavs team.  Most people can't even name another center on their roster.  He wouldn't even sniff the court on a Celtics team that's desperate for rebounding.

ummm yeah he would
He wouldn't. Fans here need to get over the obsession. He's average, run of the mill, a role player who wants to be paid like a star. He'll be a toxic contract if he had his way.

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 06:00:40 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Yep, I think he turned down $16M/yr with Dallas so he could become an UFA next year. He'll want $20M/yr at least depending on how he does this year.

We'd have to trade for him. And offer some kind of package that included Rozier, Yabu, and Morris.

Trading for him wouldn't help.  Because he signed the QO, if he gets traded his Bird Rights don't go with him.  We'd be able to offer him a modest pay raise, but nowhere near what he can get anywhere else.

The ship has sailed on Noel.

Can Dallas sign and trade him next summer?

Sure, but what salary would we be sending out?

Yeah, there's no combination of salaries that Dallas would ever want to make that trade. We could sign and trade Marcus and a player for Noel but I definitely wouldn't want that.

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 05:20:30 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
The Nerlens Noel ship has already sailed around Boston. It took port in Dallas with no stops in Boston in the foreseeable future. AD is the only ship sailing in theses water IMO.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek