Author Topic: Celtics Long Term Future  (Read 688 times)

Celtics Long Term Future
« on: September 19, 2017, 06:41:01 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
In response to the "Not as optimistic of this team as some" thread, I thought we should provide perspective to this offseason by considering the Celtics future beyond 17-18.

I think the Celtics will pass CLE once Lebron hits the road, and should contend for the ECF for years. Other teams to consider: MIL, WASH, TOR, and PHI. Barring any major moves, I think the Celtics are better than all of them.

Does anyone think that the Celtics do not have a promising future? I'd be curious to hear this rationale.

Re: Celtics Long Term Future
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
To use the new terms I'm very bullish on the ball handlers and wings for the long term.

Regarding bigs it's much more of a question mark. How will Horford age?  I think well enough for the duration of his contract but will probably decline a little more. Morris only has 2 years left on his contract and Baynes 1.  Will Theis and Yabu are question marks. Will either figure into the long term plans (I look at Semi more of a wing.)

I think over the next year or 2 Ainge might look into securing more long term fixtures. Maybe pull off another big trade.  Hint hint Davis.

When you look at the competition in the Eastern Conference for the long term overall we are positioned very well with also 2 more potential high picks coming our way with LA/ Kings pick and the Grizzlies pick.

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
To use the new terms I'm very bullish on the ball handlers and wings for the long term.

Regarding bigs it's much more of a question mark. How will Horford age?  I think well enough for the duration of his contract but will probably decline a little more. Morris only has 2 years left on his contract and Baynes 1.  Will Theis and Yabu are question marks. Will either figure into the long term plans (I look at Semi more of a wing.)

I think over the next year or 2 Ainge might look into securing more long term fixtures. Maybe pull off another big trade.  Hint hint Davis.

When you look at the competition in the Eastern Conference for the long term overall we are positioned very well with also 2 more potential high picks coming our way with LA/ Kings pick and the Grizzlies pick.

Yeah, AD is the clear prized possession, but 29 other teams want him. The C's basically need a Kelly Olynyk type (stretch 4) that is as productive as the Greek Freak. I'm sure Danny will have many more shots to draft a big man in the coming years.

Horford is getting old, and I don't see him factoring into the next Celtics championship. By that point, either a FA acquisition or draft pick will be down on the blocks.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:16:15 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Yeah, AD is the clear prized possession, but 29 other teams want him. The C's basically need a Kelly Olynyk type (stretch 4) that is as productive as the Greek Freak. I'm sure Danny will have many more shots to draft a big man in the coming years.

Horford is getting old, and I don't see him factoring into the next Celtics championship. By that point, either a FA acquisition or draft pick will be down on the blocks.

Our run at a big FA acquisition is basically over for the near future as we won't have cap space again for a long while. 

Also the problem with relying on drafting a stud big man it doesn't really fit into the Hayward/Irving timeline unless you are keeping Horford and grooming the young big.  That may be the way if we aren't trading for a younger star big.  Sort of like Tatum playing behind Hayward although maybe Tatum can play PF eventually.