Author Topic: Longtime Reader. First Time Poster.  (Read 4803 times)

Longtime Reader. First Time Poster.
« on: September 02, 2017, 07:42:24 PM »

Offline thatruthb34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 20
I finally did it. I have been reading this blog since 2004ish and FINALLY decided to join the fun. I have been reading the "latest forum topics" for well over a decade. I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the other members before diving in.

My name is Justin and I'm from Lancaster, PA. I'm 26 and I BLEED GREEN. I can remember it like it was yesterday, May 25, 2002. I was 10 years old and I had recently started watching basketball with my mom's new boyfriend. He was a Celtics fan and I had never really been exposed to basketball before they started dating (my Dad was always watching Nascar). The Eastern Conference Playoffs were on the 27" tube and the C's were down big. We all know what happened that game. Toine let's the team have it, Pierce and the boys respond with the biggest 4th quarter comeback in NBA Playoff history. It was in that moment that my entire life changed. The Truth was unconscious. He literally put the team on his back and willed them to victory. I was in awe. I was officially a Celtics fan and Paul Pierce was my hero.

Fast forward 15 years later and here I am. What a ride it has been. The ups and the downs. I've been to countless games in Philly. I made my first trip to the Garden in '07. The Celtics had the 2nd worst record in the league and were in full out tank mode for the Oden/Durant Sweepstakes. I didn't care, I was just ecstatic to be sitting around a sea of green. I came home with a shiny new Al Jefferson jersey that year. It didn't get much wear as he was traded the following year in a package for KG. The night we won the championship in '08 was the best day of my life (until August of 2015 when my daughter was born). I was working at Dunkin' Donuts and convinced the Manager to let me put the game on the computer in the office. I cried tears of joy and stole my dad's beer to celebrate that night. I still get the chills whenever I watch KG scream anything is possible. I got Lucky the Leprechaun with the word "Pride." tattooed on my right bicep at the age of 17. It was the only tattoo my mom would sign off on as a minor because she knew I would be a Celtics fan forever. To this day its the only tattoo I have. In 2010, I had just moved into my own apartment. I had a couple buddies over to watch Game 7. We all know what happened there. I stormed out of my apartment as the clock ticked zero and left all of my friends there as I took a drive to clear my head. By the way, to this day, I STILL blame Rasheed Wallace for that loss. I cried like a baby when Pierce returned home this past season and nailed that 3 in the end for his last game at the Garden. He is and always will be my favorite basketball player of all time.

I wont bore you guys with anymore, I just wanted to say I'm happy to join this group. There are very many knowledgable fan's on this forum who share the same passions as myself and I look forward to discussing this team (and our exciting future) with you guys for years to come.

Thanks for reading!-

Justin

Re: Longtime Reader. First Time Poster.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
WOW, what a great read. I am glad to give you your first TP!!!

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 07:49:44 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Take your first Tommy point from yours truly! And Welcome KGLL!

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 08:18:06 PM »

Offline thatruthb34

• Jaden Springer
Thanks guys! I'd give them back but I dont think I've figure that out yet lol.

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
TP. Good trip down memory lane. This is a great basketball team to watch.

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 08:40:53 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
That's a great post. I was actually at the Nets game with the biggest come back. We were sitting pretty high in the balcony and there was a Nets fan talking smack when they were up, but the fans kept the faith. When we took the lead, everybody were going nuts except the guy, sitting on his seat.

Afterwards, my brother and I ran down the stairs shirtless high giving random people. When we got down to causeway street, the cars were all honking their horns while being stuck in traffic. It was an absolute awesome time.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:59 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Hey kid, welcome. TP for you! How are things in LANK-iss-stir? 

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Welcome Justin and a great post. TP for bleeding Green!

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »

Offline thatruthb34

• Jaden Springer
Emmette Bryant - WOW! TP for you for the correct pronunciation LOL. Good old PA Dutch Country! Have you visited before? Only people from here or people who have visited and been corrected by locals would know that.  ;D

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Yeah I was there a long time ago. I don't think cars had been invented yet because everybody was riding around in a horse and buggy.  ;)

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 09:10:22 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
Great post Justin.  You are an excellent writer and I encourage you to continue to share your thoughts with this blog.  I've been a member since 2008.  While I rarely contribute, I am an avid reader.  TP to you and keep posting.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 02:17:32 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Good stuff and welcome to the blog! TP and keep on posting!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 03:15:59 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
TP Justin.
Don't go pitch-black on us for the next 10 years now :)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »

Offline Rob from Perth

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 4
Great post Justin. I too was a longtime lurker, and have only posted a few times since I (finally) registered. I’ve always thought about doing a similar post about how I became a Celtics fan, so here goes…

I was never a basketball fan, having not taken any interest since watching the game of the week on TV as a kid when basketball was huge in Australia in the early/mid 90s. However in Jan 2011 I took a 5 week trip to the States and Canada, and I wanted to see an NBA game.

There was a number of games I could’ve seen based on cities I was visiting, so I asked a basketball fan at work which game I should see. Instantly he replied “Spurs at Celtics”, given they were both top of their respective conferences at the time. I messaged my friend in Boston and asked if she could get me a ticket, and whether her and her husband would want to come too. It was a yes on both fronts, as her husband was a big Cs fan.

I bought a Cs shirt while I was at the NBA store in New York (figuring I should have some gear of the home team to wear to the game), and went to the game. In short, it was awesome! I got to see Duncan, Parker and Ginobili versus Pierce, Allen, Rondo and Shaq (KG was out injured unfortunately). Allen shot the lights out (31 pts) and Rondo got a triple double (12 pts, 23 ast, 10 reb). Allen had a chance to ice the game with free throws, but unbelievably missed them both. Spurs had one last chance to win the game, but Pierce got a fingertip to Ginobili’s shot and Rondo grabbed the rebound of the shot that fell short to get the triple double.

Following the trip I immersed myself in everything Celtics (I find it hard to call myself a fan of a team unless I know about the team, its players and its history), and I was lucky to stumble upon Celticsblog straight away. I haven’t posted in the past as I felt (especially early on) that I didn’t know enough about basketball or the Celtics to contribute anything meaningful, but I intend to change that now.

Looking back now I’m so grateful that my friend suggested the Celtics game, and I have a sick feeling in my stomach when I realise that I could just as easy have ended up a Bulls fan, a Knicks fan (ugh) or a Miami/LeBron fan (uuugggghhhhh!)

Cheers,

Rob

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 11:26:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Great post Justin. I too was a longtime lurker, and have only posted a few times since I (finally) registered. I’ve always thought about doing a similar post about how I became a Celtics fan, so here goes…

I was never a basketball fan, having not taken any interest since watching the game of the week on TV as a kid when basketball was huge in Australia in the early/mid 90s. However in Jan 2011 I took a 5 week trip to the States and Canada, and I wanted to see an NBA game.

There was a number of games I could’ve seen based on cities I was visiting, so I asked a basketball fan at work which game I should see. Instantly he replied “Spurs at Celtics”, given they were both top of their respective conferences at the time. I messaged my friend in Boston and asked if she could get me a ticket, and whether her and her husband would want to come too. It was a yes on both fronts, as her husband was a big Cs fan.

I bought a Cs shirt while I was at the NBA store in New York (figuring I should have some gear of the home team to wear to the game), and went to the game. In short, it was awesome! I got to see Duncan, Parker and Ginobili versus Pierce, Allen, Rondo and Shaq (KG was out injured unfortunately). Allen shot the lights out (31 pts) and Rondo got a triple double (12 pts, 23 ast, 10 reb). Allen had a chance to ice the game with free throws, but unbelievably missed them both. Spurs had one last chance to win the game, but Pierce got a fingertip to Ginobili’s shot and Rondo grabbed the rebound of the shot that fell short to get the triple double.

Following the trip I immersed myself in everything Celtics (I find it hard to call myself a fan of a team unless I know about the team, its players and its history), and I was lucky to stumble upon Celticsblog straight away. I haven’t posted in the past as I felt (especially early on) that I didn’t know enough about basketball or the Celtics to contribute anything meaningful, but I intend to change that now.

Looking back now I’m so grateful that my friend suggested the Celtics game, and I have a sick feeling in my stomach when I realise that I could just as easy have ended up a Bulls fan, a Knicks fan (ugh) or a Miami/LeBron fan (uuugggghhhhh!)

Cheers,

Rob
TP for the fellow Aussie and for the OP.

Glad you're on our side, and not Miamis  ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)