Author Topic: Nerlens Noel to Boston next offseason  (Read 4684 times)

Nerlens Noel to Boston next offseason
« on: September 02, 2017, 02:51:14 PM »

Offline Mlewis1392

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
With Nerlens Noel signing a one year deal under the qualifying offer will make him an unrestricted free agent next summer. A Boston native who has said in the past he would love to play for his hometown team would love to sign here next off season. Everyone around the league expected him to get the max this summer and with that not happening this year and the way they project the market to be next off season I don't believe he will hey his max next summer either. This is a perfect situation for us considering the direction of this franchise. Fits the mold of our youth movement and need of a big. I don't see any reason he wouldn't come here. Mutual interest from both parties already have been known for quite some time. I understand he is still looking for his first big payday but if he didn't get his max this summer I don't believe he will get it next summer. So why not come home into a top tier organization where he will have plenty of playing time on a legit contender. I would think he eoikd sacrifice some money to play for a winner. Especially after being on nothing but bottom feeders his whole career and I don't see it changing this year in dallas. I haven't looked at our situation when it comes to payroll next summer but if we can make it happen after extending Marcus "Bully Ball" Smart the signing just makes too much sense. Pipe dream maybe but I don't see why it couldn't be a possibility

Re: Nerlens Noel to Boston next offseason
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 02:57:34 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
With Nerlens Noel signing a one year deal under the qualifying offer will make him an unrestricted free agent next summer. A Boston native who has said in the past he would love to play for his hometown team would love to sign here next off season. Everyone around the league expected him to get the max this summer and with that not happening this year and the way they project the market to be next off season I don't believe he will hey his max next summer either. This is a perfect situation for us considering the direction of this franchise. Fits the mold of our youth movement and need of a big. I don't see any reason he wouldn't come here. Mutual interest from both parties already have been known for quite some time. I understand he is still looking for his first big payday but if he didn't get his max this summer I don't believe he will get it next summer. So why not come home into a top tier organization where he will have plenty of playing time on a legit contender. I would think he eoikd sacrifice some money to play for a winner. Especially after being on nothing but bottom feeders his whole career and I don't see it changing this year in dallas. I haven't looked at our situation when it comes to payroll next summer but if we can make it happen after extending Marcus "Bully Ball" Smart the signing just makes too much sense. Pipe dream maybe but I don't see why it couldn't be a possibility

You might want to do that first...

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 02:59:51 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Noel is not going to sign here.  The most we could offer would be the mid-level exception which projects to be ~$8.5 million.  And even then, we'll likely be using the tax-payer's mini mid-level (either because we're in the tax or because Danny doesn't want to hard cap us at the apron), which will only be ~$5.3 million.

Noel would have to be stupid to give up both the money he'll be able to get AND the security of a longer contract (signing him with an exception would mean 2 years max) to be a backup here
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

LOL, TP. 

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »

Offline Mlewis1392

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12

Considering I figured I just throw out the idea of a topic to talk about for us, I'm alright I'll do it when I'm ready thanks though ya donkey

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 03:16:11 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Yep, I think he turned down $16M/yr with Dallas so he could become an UFA next year. He'll want $20M/yr at least depending on how he does this year.

We'd have to trade for him. And offer some kind of package that included Rozier, Yabu, and Morris.

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 03:18:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Danny is saving room for Davis.  That means no noel

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 03:19:17 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Yep, I think he turned down $16M/yr with Dallas so he could become an UFA next year. He'll want $20M/yr at least depending on how he does this year.

We'd have to trade for him. And offer some kind of package that included Rozier, Yabu, and Morris.

Trading for him wouldn't help.  Because he signed the QO, if he gets traded his Bird Rights don't go with him.  We'd be able to offer him a modest pay raise, but nowhere near what he can get anywhere else.

The ship has sailed on Noel.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
For years I've been saying Noel is a fringe NBA player while a lot of people were talking about offering him a max contract.  Rick Carlisle sees it.  Now he's making less money than Aron Baynes.  He and his agent are fools for turning down 4/$70M.  He's had 3 major knee surgeries.

He played 22mpg on a 33 win mavs team.  Most people can't even name another center on their roster.  He wouldn't even sniff the court on a Celtics team that's desperate for rebounding.

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 03:32:24 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
If he wants to come for the vet min then sure... I mean it's possible, he seems to have no fiscal sense as it is...

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 03:34:51 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
For years I've been saying Noel is a fringe NBA player while a lot of people were talking about offering him a max contract.  Rick Carlisle sees it.  Now he's making less money than Aron Baynes.  He and his agent are fools for turning down 4/$70M.  He's had 3 major knee surgeries.

He played 22mpg on a 33 win mavs team.  Most people can't even name another center on their roster.  He wouldn't even sniff the court on a Celtics team that's desperate for rebounding.

ummm yeah he would

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 03:37:05 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Trading for him wouldn't help.  Because he signed the QO, if he gets traded his Bird Rights don't go with him.  We'd be able to offer him a modest pay raise, but nowhere near what he can get anywhere else.

Regardless of Bird rights, if the Celtics engaged in trade discussions with Dallas it could happen. I'm not advocating for it at all. But if he has an ok, not great, year and has an offer for $20M from say the Suns next year, he could use that to get the Mavs to sign and trade him instead. If he preferred Boston.

Again, I'm not saying that's Smart on Danny's part, but it's plausible.

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Can Dallas sign and trade him next summer?

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 03:44:36 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

ummm yeah he would
If Nerlens Noel is logging minutes, we're not a contender.

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 04:03:17 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Considering I figured I just throw out the idea of a topic to talk about for us, I'm alright I'll do it when I'm ready thanks though ya donkey

The idea doesn't make sense for that exact reason. Would you like to discuss our ability to sign LeBron next year while you're at it?