Author Topic: Anthony Bennett: Where are they now?  (Read 4914 times)

Re: Anthony Bennett: Where are they now?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2017, 08:35:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't really think it is that impressive, especially for a deeper draft than some years. If you look at the first 10 picks of that second round all of them except 2 were playing in the NBA last year https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2014.html

Sorry that is not impressive.

2014 was an unusually good 2nd round. That draft was 40+ players deep. There are exactly 9/30 guys who have played 3 years in the NBA, plus a couple of euros... and really 4/30 are average or better players who would even make our roster, if we include Jerami Grant.

Then there's 2013.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2013.html

That year produced a whopping 1 starter (Crabbe - 1st pick of the round) and 6 so-so bench players (Canaan, Withey, Muscala, Kelly, Lauvergne, Ennis).

The undeniable truth is that 60-80% of 2nd rounders wash out of the league with 5 years, and the majority of those that make it are bench players. There is no GM out there who is bucking this trend on any regular basis or has a magic formula for 2nd round picks. None. All of the high-chance-to-have-a-long-NBA-career guys are gone in the first 20 picks.

I don't really think it is that impressive, especially for a deeper draft than some years. If you look at the first 10 picks of that second round all of them except 2 were playing in the NBA last year https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2014.html

Sorry that is not impressive.

2014 was an unusually good 2nd round. That draft was 40+ players deep. There are exactly 9/30 guys who have played 3 years in the NBA, plus a couple of euros... and really 4/30 are average or better players who would even make our roster, if we include Jerami Grant.

Then there's 2013.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2013.html

That year produced a whopping 1 starter (Crabbe - 1st pick of the round) and 6 so-so bench players (Canaan, Withey, Muscala, Kelly, Lauvergne, Ennis).

The undeniable truth is that 60-80% of 2nd rounders wash out of the league with 5 years, and the majority of those that make it are bench players. There is no GM out there who is bucking this trend on any regular basis or has a magic formula for 2nd round picks. None. All of the high-chance-to-have-a-long-NBA-career guys are gone in the first 20 picks.

We are now have two different arguments.

The first is whether Joe Harris was a big success. You can only compare him to the 10 guys drafted him around him to make this point cause those are the players that were available. The top 10 featured 7 or 8 guys that played 3 years in the NBA. Several of them are clearly better than Harris (who lets be honest, isn't making a lot of rosters in the NBA).

The second argument is the overall value of the second round players. As I have repeatedly said I agree that on the whole, second round picks making the NBA and playing a few years is a big accomplishment. However, I have also pointed out that players drafted in the first ten spots of the second round do much better than the rest of the second round. In many cases half of these guys were projected to go in the first round. A guy taken 33, 34 or 35 that hangs around in league for a few years as a fringe NBA player is really not abnormal at all. This is pretty basic stuff and I have already included a ton of example. I am a bit confused people debating this.
to be fair, you are the one that claimed he was a success in the post of mine you responded to.  I never actually said that at all.  The gist of my post was basically aside from Bennett the Cavs haven't done that poorly of late in their drafting.  I then closed by saying that some of their 2nd round picks have made the league.  Again no use of the word success. 

That said, I think Joe Harris was absolutely a successful pick.  The fact that he even made the Cavs for two consecutive seasons has to be a success given those two seasons the Cavs were the runner-up and champion of the league.  He then went to a bad team where he played 22 mpg averaging 8 ppg and 3 rpg.  Not bad at all for a 2nd round pick.

Got to ask this Moranis. His entire second year in Cleveland Harris scored 3 points and had 2 assists. Not per game. The entire season. You are considering this a success merely because he didn't cut from the Cavs having a Roster Crunch like they did this past offseason? By this logic Jordan Mickey is a huge success for us. I don't think any of us are calling Jordan Mickey a success.
well Boston wasn't as good as Cleveland was, but yeah if Mickey goes on to play 22 mpg with respectable stats this year, then yeah he would be a success.  Or he goes on to keep making rosters for 5 years or something like that, also a success.  If he ends up cut by the Heat and never makes another roster or plays another game, then he would be a bad pick because you would expect more than 41 games and 198 minutes out of the 33rd pick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip