Author Topic: Should the Celtics extend Smart now or after the season?  (Read 12235 times)

Re: Should the Celtics extend Smart now or after the season?
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2017, 12:33:34 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Are these our only two options?

« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2017, 02:36:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
So Marcus Smart. Longest tenured Celtic. That feels weird..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2017, 03:41:55 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Depends how much he demands.  If he's happy to take $8M a year right now, then you extend him now and lock him in at that money.  That way you have him at a price that, in today's environment, is appropriate for a 2nd unit guy and/or 6th man. so you can't really lose.

Problem is, it's unlikely he'd agree to that type of money given that Avery Bradley got $7M a year, Crowder got about $7M a year  - and both of those deals happened when the Salary Cap was roughly half what it is now.  Most likely, then, that Smart is going to demand at least $12M-$15M a year and that may be too much money to pay a backup PG who has major flaws and has shown no real development after 3-4 years in the league. 

In this case you'd want to wait out until at least near the All-Star break and see if he shows and development up to that point (improvements in his jumper, improved quickness from superior fitness, etc) and if his game takes a significant step in the right direction, then do it. 

If you get to that point and he's still made no improvements, still can't shoot, and still has all the same flaws in his game - then you might need to play hardball.  Offer him maybe $10m - $12m max and if he doesn't accept that, then Boston can try to pull off a trade of Smart and picks. 

Probably will also depend on how other young guys (Rozier, Brown, Tatum) progress by that point in the season as well - has Rozier stepped up and proven he's good enough to backKyrie up full time?  That will likely play a huge role in determining whether Smart would stay or go, too...all the more reason to hold off for half a season or so and see how guys are progressing. 

« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/9/12/16290580/rookie-scale-extension-candidates

I think KOC is being too modest.  Smart will get a large offer from a team to be their starting PG.  Bank on it.

« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Depends how much he demands.  If he's happy to take $8M a year right now, then you extend him now and lock him in at that money.  That way you have him at a price that, in today's environment, is appropriate for a 2nd unit guy and/or 6th man. so you can't really lose.

Problem is, it's unlikely he'd agree to that type of money given that Avery Bradley got $7M a year, Crowder got about $7M a year  - and both of those deals happened when the Salary Cap was roughly half what it is now.  Most likely, then, that Smart is going to demand at least $12M-$15M a year and that may be too much money to pay a backup PG who has major flaws and has shown no real development after 3-4 years in the league. 

In this case you'd want to wait out until at least near the All-Star break and see if he shows and development up to that point (improvements in his jumper, improved quickness from superior fitness, etc) and if his game takes a significant step in the right direction, then do it. 

If you get to that point and he's still made no improvements, still can't shoot, and still has all the same flaws in his game - then you might need to play hardball.  Offer him maybe $10m - $12m max and if he doesn't accept that, then Boston can try to pull off a trade of Smart and picks. 

Probably will also depend on how other young guys (Rozier, Brown, Tatum) progress by that point in the season as well - has Rozier stepped up and proven he's good enough to backKyrie up full time?  That will likely play a huge role in determining whether Smart would stay or go, too...all the more reason to hold off for half a season or so and see how guys are progressing.

Ah, yes. You hit on the two problems I have with locking up Smart to serious money right now:  I think Rozier can back up Irving for those 12-16 minutes, easy, and for only $2M/yr or so for 2 more seasons, and Jaylen Brown is able to play SG as a starter. So where does Smart fit, and for how much money, under those conditions?  At the least, he could just as easily play 12 minutes as 30. 

Then there's the opportunity cost. If there's a vet available for the minimum who could fill the 12 min backup SG role, and there probably is, how much do you pay Smart and when?

I give him the chance to at least have security with a MLE offer, which he declines, and we all move on. He'll be in every trade rumour out there all season, but that's how it goes.

« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2017, 11:23:34 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/9/12/16290580/rookie-scale-extension-candidates

I think KOC is being too modest.  Smart will get a large offer from a team to be their starting PG.  Bank on it.

I agree. I've already voiced my opinion on this in this thread, but I'll say it again. I'm jumping to lock Smart up for 12m for 4 years.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06:13 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I agree. I've already voiced my opinion on this in this thread, but I'll say it again. I'm jumping to lock Smart up for 12m for 4 years.

When his replacements are on the roster locked into rookie deals, I don't get it. He's a good player and great defender, and I love watching him get after it. I just don't see what necessitates having that much money locked into a non-star who you could quite frankly get away without (with Rozier and Brown getting the SG and backup PG minutes) without changing the trajectory of the team.  Basically, not sure he's a luxury we could afford.