Author Topic: Should the Celtics extend Smart now or after the season?  (Read 12233 times)

Re: Should the Celtics extend Smart now or after the season?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 10:14:09 PM »

Online No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I would sign Smart to a 4/48 in a second. If he doesn't progress at all, it's a slight overpay. If he get's better, it's a steal.

Again any thing close to Olynyk's 4/50 is fair in my book.

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 10:37:32 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I'm hoping they quickly extend him on a fair deal now that I think he will play into a steal, much like AB or Crowder before him.  I really like his fit with the way the team is developing.  He will be great next to Kyrie.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2017, 10:42:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Well I think a good contract comp would be Andre Roberson's contract, 3 years 30 million. Andrew Robinson is a very good defender, making all NBA second team this past season. He also isn't a very good three point shooter at only 26% over his career (vs 29% for smart), but is better from the floor at 47% (vs 36% from smart). Smart provides more value with his ability to run the point and distribute the ball but Roberson is taller and a better rebounder. So I'd say 4/40 is the most I would go for Smart.

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 02:30:06 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Yes. You extend him now on the typical underdeveloped Celtics contract  ala (Avery Bradley). Basically pay him before he becomes well rounded. We all know Marcus can affect the game in ways that don't reflect on his stats, so you use that as a bargaining tactic, banking on the fact that he will get much better than the value of his bridge deal in the future.

PS- I love Marcus's energy! Kid rules, and glad he's part of our core moving forward :)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 02:46:08 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Extend now. If he outplays his projected value, great. If not, Danny isn't afraid of trading anyone.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2017, 04:06:35 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I would sign Smart to a 4/48 in a second. If he doesn't progress at all, it's a slight overpay. If he get's better, it's a steal.

Again any thing close to Olynyk's 4/50 is fair in my book.

I'd probably even consider going to 56... And I don't even have the same Smart-lust as many people around here. That will be a bargain in three years even if his shooting doesn't improve that much
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 08:19:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Unless his shot improves this season he may go the way of the do-do, err I mean KO

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2017, 08:59:53 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
No reason to extend Smart now.  Unless you think his 3pt shooting is going to improve significantly, we'll be able to get him for 4yr/48M or less next offseason.  Just don't see much of a market for him.  Bad teams aren't looking for good defenders that can't shoot.  Many of the good teams don't need him either and those that might would be over the cap so couldn't offer him that much.   

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2017, 09:03:21 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Smart is restricted so I would wait until the offseason as you can always match an offer.

The cap has leveled out now too.  Not too many teams will have cap space next year, so the market may not be very tempting.

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 09:13:13 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
No reason to extend Smart now.  Unless you think his 3pt shooting is going to improve significantly, we'll be able to get him for 4yr/48M or less next offseason.  Just don't see much of a market for him.  Bad teams aren't looking for good defenders that can't shoot.  Many of the good teams don't need him either and those that might would be over the cap so couldn't offer him that much.   

There will be plenty teams who either have, or can make space.

If he shoots above 35% he will absolutely get more than 12 per. Evan Turner got 4/70.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Just curious, do all the let market set value crowd agree he has played at or near the top of his draft class?

Does everyone agree he is a skilled enough defender to be a top 7 rotation player on any team in the league?

Does anyone disagree that he is a top 10 defensive guard right now?

If our beloved Kelly gets 4/50 then Marcus certainly should unless he stinks it up thisx year. The guy is not on the court for his 3pt shooting. Would it be great if he shot 38% from 3? Yes absolutely, but that would push his value to 4/60 or higher. Thats AB territory lol.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2017, 09:34:47 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Unless his shot improves this season he may go the way of the do-do, err I mean KO

Why does his shot have to improve. Maybe more consistency, But KO could shoot and he didn't get resigned. People don't value Smarts D. especially now AB is gone.

He also hits shots when needed more  often than not. But he's got that junkyard dog, "IT" factor  that you need on a championship team. We have enough offensive weapons now with adding Irving(a bit of a wash with IT lgone)Hayward, Morris, and Tatum, and Hopefully Brown improves.

He's also improved his ball handling quite a bit from season 1. And can run the point fairly well when IT was out last season.

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2017, 09:53:53 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Somebody's gonna offer him Turner money, and if he makes the leap on offense then 20+ per. If we can get him for Olynyk money now I say go for it. But I'd even go as high as 4/56 or 4/60. He's a special defensive player.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why does his shot have to improve. Maybe more consistency

Because is it horrible and a detriment to his game.

I love Marcus, I love his hustle and his winning 50/50 balls.   But it is really dishonest to pretend he does not have a problem with his shot.   I hope the end of the season increase was for real but unless he improves his shot and his shot selection.   He is replaceable.  This is not an area of strength for him.  I want him to succeed but he has to do it folks.

ts shots when needed more  often than not. But he's got that junkyard dog, "IT" factor  that you need on a championship team. We have enough offensive weapons now with adding Irving(a bit of a wash with IT lgone)Hayward, Morris, and Tatum, and Hopefully Brown improves.

What this amounts too, is your saying he is a hustle player and gritty and I like that about him.   But when a guy does not command respect from the D,  that means guys can slack off and let him shoot and double someone else.   How is this good for the offense?

Try using more than hyperbole and cliches to defend your opinion. 

He's also improved his ball handling quite a bit from season 1. And can run the point fairly well when IT was out last season.

Again, if no one respects your shot than you are a disadvantage at any position to play and it cuts your options.   If you can't shoot teams are going to dare you to shoot, if this is not a strength for you it is not good for your team.   This also affects your ability to drive because if they play off you then they can react to drives better.    This also limits your ability to spread the floor.  So it is much more complex than you present.

I want to see him do well.   His shot needs to improve it will make him and the team more effective.

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2017, 11:04:45 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

There will be plenty teams who either have, or can make space.

If he shoots above 35% he will absolutely get more than 12 per. Evan Turner got 4/70.

Ya but the cap environment has changed since then, and that's universally seen as a horrible albatross of a deal in hindsight. Now a lot can change in a year, maybe his 3pt %  goes way up and he boosts his value but right now he's not worth more than 12mil a year max, and probably less than that. Look at the Andre Roberson contract by comparison.