Author Topic: Should the Celtics extend Smart now or after the season?  (Read 12225 times)

Re: Should the Celtics extend Smart now or after the season?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
4 years 48 million is a bargain for the Celtics and a lot of security for Smart if he can get some or all guaranteed. It's a win win in no uncertain terms.

Letting the market set his value can mean he is gone. He can't be replaced that easily IMO.

I totally agree with this.

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Unlike other posters, I think that Smart will have a strong market in RFA. He's a good young player. I think the Celtics should try to extend him to any deal which doesn't plunge us into the LT.

The LT line for '18-19 is projected at $121m, and we currently have $107m committed for that year. Therefore, it's reasonable that we could sign Smart to 4 yrs/$48m and still have room for some minimum salaries without going into LT next year.

This type of move makes sense because what matters isn't Smart's exact salary, it's the LT line:
-The C's aren't going to have cap space the next few years anyway. If we end up paying $12m/yr instead of $9m it isn't a huge deal - it doesn't affect our ability to sign FA's.
-On the other hand, if we end up paying $15m per year in RFA, it's a big problem because it puts us into LT territory and sets us up to be paying the repeater tax in a few years. We don't want to be paying the RT just as GS starts to decline just because we cheaped out and tried to save a couple million dollars by letting Smart hit RFA.

Obviously if Smart and his agent think he's making 4 years/$80m next season, then all bets are off on an extension. But if their expectations are in the right ballpark then management should push for an extension that allows us to avoid the LT next season.

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
I mean, look at Noel
look at mozgov, ezili, turner, crabb, TT, JR should i continue.

i would love to extend him right now to a reasonable 10-13 mil 4 years, but that is not happening.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If you could pay him for what he's done now...that could be the way to go. Offer a small handful less than Jordan Clarkson makes. One of those things

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I mean, look at Noel
look at mozgov, ezili, turner, crabb, TT, JR should i continue.

i would love to extend him right now to a reasonable 10-13 mil 4 years, but that is not happening.

Those guys got the crazy money that every FO now realizes was insane. Kelly Olynyk just signed with the Heat for 4yrs/$50M. I think that's pretty comparable to what Smart is worth ("worth" not what he "can get").

I'd offer those same numbers, maybe even $52M so it gets him to $13M/yr and lock him up.  He'd have to be very tempted to take that. Not only is it fair money but it shows commitment and he'd feel much safer about not going to another team (he seems to really like Stevens and he's now the longest-tenured Celtic).

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I would love it if we could sign Smart for another 4 years. Based off these comments, I"m assuming the most we can pay without getting in the luxury tax is 4 years 48 mil. I think he's worth more than that but I"m praying that he would accept that offer.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Pay the man.  He's the heart and soul of our defense.  The way he QB's a defense as a 6'3" guard is unlike anything I've ever seen.  He plays like he's 6'9".  Leaves everything on the court.  A true Celtic, for life, I hope.

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Pay the man.  He's the heart and soul of our defense.  The way he QB's a defense as a 6'3" guard is unlike anything I've ever seen.  He plays like he's 6'9".  Leaves everything on the court.  A true Celtic, for life, I hope.

TP! my sentiments exactly, i hope they can lock him up

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I mean, the luxury tax situation completely depends on whether or not the LAL pick conveys next year. If so, we should all be excited to get one of the top 5 prospects in the draft, but sad since it begins our [many] years of being over the tax and, thus, having to make some tough decisions on some of our high end / young players.

Even if Smart does sign a reasonable deal - which I think he will unless his percentages soar this year - we are still going to be right up against that line. That also means not using a full exception (like Baynes this year).

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I mean, the luxury tax situation completely depends on whether or not the LAL pick conveys next year. If so, we should all be excited to get one of the top 5 prospects in the draft, but sad since it begins our [many] years of being over the tax and, thus, having to make some tough decisions on some of our high end / young players.

Even if Smart does sign a reasonable deal - which I think he will unless his percentages soar this year - we are still going to be right up against that line. That also means not using a full exception (like Baynes this year).

Well if we do get a top five pick next June and don't trade it then someone, like Theiss, Larkin, or Nader, isn't coming back. So deduct their salary too.

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I don't want to pay too much for Smart now. If he can take it to the next level this year- great. Pay the man his money.

If not, why overpay for a role player?

I really like Marcus, but I don't want to overextend for someone that will be the 6th/7th best player on a championship team.

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 05:17:20 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I would sign Smart to a 4/48 in a second. If he doesn't progress at all, it's a slight overpay. If he get's better, it's a steal.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 06:34:16 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Danny has done well with RFA. I think he will offer a fair offer before the Deadline. I am hopeful Smart will take it. RFA's did not do well this off season and I don't see it next season either.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I would sign Smart to a 4/48 in a second. If he doesn't progress at all, it's a slight overpay. If he get's better, it's a steal.
+1

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 10:00:42 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
The sooner we sign Smart, the better. I'd love to see him here long term. Plus, I think the show of loyalty would be a good gesture. On top of that, we'd probably get him on a steal of a contract too.
- LilRip