Author Topic: Should Cavs fans regard Kyrie as a "traitor" / "Judas"?  (Read 11283 times)

Re: Should Cavs fans regard Kyrie as a "traitor" / "Judas"?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 10:31:46 PM »

Offline Curley

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
There would only be two concerns if I was a Cavs fan now:  1.) how bad is our owner 2.) the realization that LBJ as great as he is is going to leave their franchise in shambles a second time

Can you imagine Kyrie wanting to leave this situation?  Playing with a generational talent, and a guaranteed trip to the finals asking for a trade.  To me this speaks volumes of how destructive Lebron can be.  People have bowed down to him forever, but Father Time gets us all ... this may be the beginning of people not bending over for him so much anymore.

Kyrie is not a traitor, he just could not stomach playing for the Cavs anymore ... can't wait for Lebron to give up in the ECF against us to make his exit out of Cleveland just like the last time.  You know he wants no part of losing to GS again.

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 11:21:50 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Roy, I have read your posts for years and I have always enjoyed your insight. I don't always agree but, I have always respected your input and feel you really know the game. That brings us to Kyrie, for better or worse Kyrie is a Celtic now. Who cares what the Cavs think? Isn't that a topic for a Cav's forum?  I know Kyrie isn't perfect, but I think we should give him a chance under Brad Stevens. I also believe Kyrie deserves our support. I will truly miss IT, but I really don't think Danny was going to pay him max money and was going to let him walk.  It doesn't matter because he is now with he Cavs.  For me it is time to get excited about the season.  I watched the Bird era and new I was seeing something truly special. Since then I have seen a lot as a Celtic fan, some good, some bad and some Great! The one constant was and is that I love the Celtics. This is our team and I feel we need to get behind them. I don't post here often but always check in and enjoy this site.  Just my 2 cents.

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 11:27:46 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Kyrie is a traitor for requesting a trade at all.

Ray Allen's sin wasn't leaving as a free-agent, is how he left and to whom HE DECIDED to play for.

Yes, both are traitors to their previous organization, but for different reasons.

Ray Allen is more akin to what Kevin Durant did.

This is the difference and it's a major one.  Kyrie had us on his list but the Cavs are the one to decide to send him to a rival.

Danny choosing to trade IT to the Cavs is more comparable, which is Rays point.

I can't believe we're all still talking about this
Greg

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 11:31:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Roy, I have read your posts for years and I have always enjoyed your insight. I don't always agree but, I have always respected your input and feel you really know the game. That brings us to Kyrie, for better or worse Kyrie is a Celtic now. Who cares what the Cavs think? Isn't that a topic for a Cav's forum?  I know Kyrie isn't perfect, but I think we should give him a chance under Brad Stevens. I also believe Kyrie deserves our support. I will truly miss IT, but I really don't think Danny was going to pay him max money and was going to let him walk.  It doesn't matter because he is now with he Cavs.  For me it is time to get excited about the season.  I watched the Bird era and new I was seeing something truly special. Since then I have seen a lot as a Celtic fan, some good, some bad and some Great! The one constant was and is that I love the Celtics. This is our team and I feel we need to get behind them. I don't post here often but always check in and enjoy this site.  Just my 2 cents.

It's a Celtics topic because it involves a Celtics player and because it's parallel to Ray.

Many Celtics fans hate Ray for not showing loyalty, and for not informing teammates of his decision. It's interesting to see many of those same people embracing a guy who was actively disloyal who didn't talk to his teammates about his situation. It's an interesting study in cognitive dissonance, at least.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 11:35:13 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Nice try OP but the situationsettlement are not the same at all.

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 11:42:37 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
No, they shouldn't.

But they will.

If a player did that to the C's, many here would regard him as a traitor as well.

We would criticize him for abandoning the team.

We would question his heart, and whether he really cares about winning, since he would be leaving an ECF contender for the foreseeable future, and say he must be a diva ball hog to need "his own team"...while simultaneously criticizing Durant and Lebron for taking the "easy way out" and joining forces with other stars...

Sports fans are weird and, shall we say, generally lack a lot of introspection and self awareness.

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 11:51:00 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Nah, that franchise has been held hostage by LeBron for the last decade. He leaves, he comes back, he picks his teammates, he pouts, he quits, he comes back.... and he'll leave again.

The price of contention is that a guy like Kyrie would rather not even be there, because it's not a team. It's the Cleveland LeBrons.

That said, of course as a fan you won't like it.

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 12:26:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 01:09:14 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Who cares? We aren't Cavs fans and the situations aren't remotely close to being the same.

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 03:23:58 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
Yes he is a traitor and will be booed. He is not like Ray Allen because Cleveland got players back to help them win.  Allen will always be hated in Boston and should be.  I assume KD is despised in Oklahoma as well. 

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 03:33:16 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i don't thinks so. dude left for personal reasons, and they got plenty in return. A win win situation.
i recon that 30% of "fans" will boo, and 70% will give him a proper welcome back that he deserved
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 03:37:25 AM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
No. When he signed his 5 year deal, James, who plays Irving's position, causes drama, and casts a big shadow (as David Griffin put it), wasn't on the team.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:32:48 AM by alley oop »

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 06:05:41 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
They got good value back, and from what I've seen online the reactions were not hateful.

This might change as the season progresses.

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 07:23:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Each fan should make his own decision and each is right.   It is an individual thing.

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 08:45:05 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm trying to imagine the things Roy (and I) and the rest of us would have said if right after our championship Rondo made a trade demand and wouldn't talk to his teammates, and then it comes out it's because he can't stand KG.

I'd hate him forever and never be able to take him seriously.

That said I think the true Judases are unseen.  I think they're the guys that see an internal team matter and start leaking out ugly private details so that the situation becomes completely unsolvable and it destroys the trade leverage the team may have had. This is why Trump attacks the media. It's very difficult to find the leaker so you have to sorta try to take away the power of the leaker. Demand names or it's a lie. Refute stories and put out counter stories. Reduce media access to the team. Belichick is also a media master.