Author Topic: The Worst Lineup You Can't Wait To Watch  (Read 3924 times)

Re: The Worst Lineup You Can't Wait To Watch
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I can't envision a world where Anthony Davis isn't salivating at the idea of Rondo passing him the ball.

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 12:51:13 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Nets: Mozgof - Hollis-Jefferson - LeVert - Crabbe - Lin/Dinwiddie/Russell

Loads of length, size, quickness and upside, yet plenty of downside for poor play.

Pelicans: they should add Gerald for wing depth and more Celtic pride.

Thunder: Westbrook, George, Roberson, McDermott, Adams >> they'll actually be good but I'm pumped about their new look potential.

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can't envision a world where Anthony Davis isn't salivating at the idea of Rondo passing him the ball.

The world in which he's being covered not just by his man but also by Rondo's man and TA's man.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 12:28:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

The world in which he's being covered not just by his man but also by Rondo's man and TA's man.

While I agree with your assessment of TA's man being able to help off of him, with all due respect, people have been saying the same thing about Rondo for practically his entire career and it just doesn't hold water, as giving him more space only makes his job easier, as we've seen.

As for the premise of this thread, I'd have to go with any lineup that includes Chris Paul and James Harden, and if Melo gets moved to Houston, talk about a train wreck, lol.  First there won't be enough shots to go around, then their defense will suffer with Anthony, likely forcing someone ;) to the bench.  This could blow up in Morey's face very quickly, imo, but I'm probably wrong. 

I just don't think that those guys compliment each other at all, and I can't imagine why Melo wants to be a Rocket so badly after what happened before with D'Antoni.  Does he really think that it will work out any better than it did the first time around?  The guy couldn't even adapt to the triangle - where he was the focal point, lol :laugh:. Unbelievable.  Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:07:13 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 04:09:21 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Do you think they will start Rondo? (Honest question- I thought they wouldn't, but now I see ESPN has Rondo starting).

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 04:21:01 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Do you think they will start Rondo? (Honest question- I thought they wouldn't, but now I see ESPN has Rondo starting).
It was reported right after his singing. I presume just to satisfy him and his agent (false promise). He and Holiday are supposed to be starting guards. I predict him starting, but then, as with Bulls, to get the bench role. His defense (effort out of all) is below the NBA level. With Rondo starting they are also diminishing Holidays impact and I find that a bad idea too. Also they could be good at defense (top 10), Rondo negates that. They can't be too good on offense (no shooting and spacing), so defense should be their priority.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It was reported right after his singing. I presume just to satisfy him and his agent (false promise). He and Holiday are supposed to be starting guards. I predict him starting, but then, as with Bulls, to get the bench role. His defense (effort out of all) is below the NBA level. With Rondo starting they are also diminishing Holidays impact and I find that a bad idea too. Also they could be good at defense (top 10), Rondo negates that. They can't be too good on offense (no shooting and spacing), so defense should be their priority.

Who would replace Rondo in the starting lineup? Starting Rondo and Jrue together isn't ideal, but it's a better option than any other pair if guards on the roster. That team is extremely weak
I'm bitter.

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2017, 08:15:22 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Who would replace Rondo in the starting lineup? Starting Rondo and Jrue together isn't ideal, but it's a better option than any other pair if guards on the roster. That team is extremely weak

1. Holiday/Rondo
2. E'twaun Moore/Jordan Crawford/Tony Allen
3. Solomon Hill/.... uuuuuuh Darius Miller
4. AD/ Diallo
5 DMC/Asik/Ajinca

I only now looked at their roster in detail: IMO they got too many guards and bigs, but no forwards. I thought the plan  in June was to have Holiday run the point and have good shooters at 2 and 3, so they space the floors; I don't know what changed (or maybe that was never the plan).

And they still have both Asik and Ajinca, which feels like an unnecessary luxury when you already have DMC and Davis.

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2017, 09:18:38 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I expect to see Houston look like crap and I want to see the Lakers stink it up real good so that Ball kid sucks big time - just tired of the hype

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2017, 11:12:26 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

1. Holiday/Rondo
4. AD/ Diallo
5 DMC/Asik/Ajinca

I only now looked at their roster in detail: IMO they got too many guards and bigs, but no forwards. I thought the plan  in June was to have Holiday run the point and have good shooters at 2 and 3, so they space the floors; I don't know what changed (or maybe that was never the plan).

And they still have both Asik and Ajinca, which feels like an unnecessary luxury when you already have DMC and Davis.
Asik and Ajinca are not a luxury.  They are boat anchors.  NOP couldn't give them away.   Good wing shooters rarely become available and when they do they are expensive.  NOP had no cap room to sign a good wing shooter.  They were forced to overpay to keep Holiday because of their cap issues. 

So NOP will end up playing a lot of 3 guard/2 big lineups.  Especially since Solomon Hill is out injured and expected to miss the season.  Their starting lineup should be Rondo, Holiday, Moore, AD, Cousins. They don't need Rondo and Allen playing together much.   

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

1. Holiday/Rondo
4. AD/ Diallo
5 DMC/Asik/Ajinca

Asik and Ajinca are not a luxury.  They are boat anchors.  NOP couldn't give them away.   Good wing shooters rarely become available and when they do they are expensive.  NOP had no cap room to sign a good wing shooter.  They were forced to overpay to keep Holiday because of their cap issues. 

So NOP will end up playing a lot of 3 guard/2 big lineups.  Especially since Solomon Hill is out injured and expected to miss the season.  Their starting lineup should be Rondo, Holiday, Moore, AD, Cousins. They don't need Rondo and Allen playing together much.

Thanks, good points. What do you mean by boat anchor? I am not familiar with the term.

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

1. Holiday/Rondo
4. AD/ Diallo
5 DMC/Asik/Ajinca

Thanks, good points. What do you mean by boat anchor? I am not familiar with the term.

He means that they're "dead weight," or "weighing down the team." Basically, no other teams want Ajinca or Asik, so NO needs to pay their contracts while they are essentially useless in the new NBA. That became a liability when it came time to sign new players and NO had no cap space.

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
@GetLucky

Thanks. Makes sense.