Poll

Who would you rather add to this team Josh Smith or T. Robinson?

Robinson
Smith
Other
Spencer Hawes
Leave spot open...

Author Topic: Josh Smith or Thomas Robinson?  (Read 10742 times)

Re: Josh Smith or Thomas Robinson?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Armen Gilliam or Thomas Robinson poll?
Wow, a dead guy!
No pun intended. I tried to remember a player that finished his career some 10, 20 years ago. Armen came to mind.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2017, 04:13:23 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
We all harp on Smart's shooting. Smart shot 15.5 FGs (per 100) at an awful TS of .486. Josh Smith? 20 FGAs. .419 TS. Seriously. He makes Smart look like Steph Curry. His usage percent of 22% is still amazingly high for such a bad offensive player.

So he might offer some defensive help but he's such an incredible net negative offensively - he destroys any offensive flow you might get - that you shouldn't ever put him on the court.

Thomas Robinson, however, is worth a reclamation project. He's 26 which means he's at least in his prime (Smith is 31). TR is lousy offensively because he doesn't contribute much but that's okay. He offers one thing that Smith doesn't - and something we don't have on the team. He can rebound at a prodigious rate. He has lifetime rebound numbers of around 20%. Josh Smith is 13%. Simply put, he's bigger, younger and can crash the boards much better. He also may not help on offense but at least he won't chuck bad shots at an alarming clip.

With guys like Horford, Morris, Semi, Brown and Smart; I'm not worried about versatile defenders. I want someone who can crash the boards, play in our system and won't mind coming off the bench. A bit of potential is nice. Thomas Robinson is that guy. Josh Smith is not.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:29:08 PM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2017, 04:15:41 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'll take the guy who knows he kinda sucks.

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
We all harp on Smart's shooting. Smart shot 15.5 FGs at an awful TS of .486. Josh Smith? 20 FGAs. .419 TS. Seriously. He makes Smart look like Steph Curry. His usage percent of 22% is still amazingly high for such a bad offensive player.

So he might offer some defensive help but he's such an incredible net negative offensively - he destroys any offensive flow you might get - that you shouldn't ever put him on the court.

Thomas Robinson, however, is worth a reclamation project. He's 26 which means he's at least in his prime (Smith is 31). TR is lousy offensively because he doesn't contribute much but that's okay. He offers one thing that Smith doesn't - and something we don't have on the team. He can rebound at a prodigious rate. He has lifetime rebound numbers of around 20%. Josh Smith is 13%. Simply put, he's bigger, younger and can crash the boards much better. He also may not help on offense but at least he won't chuck bad shots at an alarming clip.

With guys like Horford, Morris, Semi, Brown and Smart; I'm not worried about versatile defenders. I want someone who can crash the boards, play in our system and won't mind coming off the bench. A bit of potential is nice. Thomas Robinson is that guy. Josh Smith is not.

Well said; TP.

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
We all harp on Smart's shooting. Smart shot 15.5 FGs (per 100) at an awful TS of .486. Josh Smith? 20 FGAs. .419 TS. Seriously. He makes Smart look like Steph Curry. His usage percent of 22% is still amazingly high for such a bad offensive player.

Josh Smith has never had a TS% lower than 43.9% in any season (his most recent) and only has three other seasons under 50% for a TS%.  It is true for 23 games his last year he had a TS% of 41.9 in Houston, but that was on 7.3 attempts, not 20, and he was significantly better in LA that same season.

Robinson is a better rebounder, but he doesn't do anything else so he can solely focus on his rebounding.  And for as bad a foul shooter as Smith is, Robinson is significantly worse. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2017, 04:59:30 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Ugh.   Where is the "None of the above." option?

I guess I'd pick Robinson of the two, because he's at least a strong rebounder.

But he's truly horrible on offense -- possibly one of the worst offensive players in the NBA.   Seriously, for a true big man, he has an embarrassingly low finish rate on shots within 3-feet, just 64.3%.  To give you an idea of how bad that is, the following players last year ALL had higher finish rates within 3 feet of the rim:  Kelly Olynyk, Amir Johnson, Jae Crowder, Al Horford, Jonas Jerebko and Gerald Green.   In fact, the first 4 names on there all had rates above 70%.

He's a good offensive rebounder, so two-thirds of his shots are all within this range.  And yet he's simply not good at putting the [dang] ball back in the hoop!

And if you are looking for him to kick those rebounds out for someone else to finish, beware.  He has a career 16.8% TOV rate (17% last year).   The only Celtic last year with a rate that high was Jordan Mickey!

He's a terrible passer and has no feel for the game whatsoever.  He grabs rebounds based on athleticism.   But he doesn't _DO_ positive things with the rebounds he gets!!!  And he's a truly atrocious shooter from all distances, including the FT line, where his career FT% is 50.5% (and it was well below that each of the last two seasons).

Thomas Robinson is not a good basketball player.

On the other hand, Josh Smith isn't anymore either.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Josh Smith in 2011-2012 would have been great.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2017, 05:06:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'll take the guy who knows he kinda sucks.
This is a really good answer

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2017, 05:30:35 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Spencer Hawes available..I know he kinda sucks, but better than these guys or Bogut...

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/903367484572667905
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 06:35:25 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Spencer Hawes available..I know he kinda sucks, but better than these guys or Bogut...

Hawes does seem like a BS player. He can shoot...

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2017, 06:45:22 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Ugh.   Where is the "None of the above." option?

I guess I'd pick Robinson of the two, because he's at least a strong rebounder.

But he's truly horrible on offense -- possibly one of the worst offensive players in the NBA.   Seriously, for a true big man, he has an embarrassingly low finish rate on shots within 3-feet, just 64.3%.  To give you an idea of how bad that is, the following players last year ALL had higher finish rates within 3 feet of the rim:  Kelly Olynyk, Amir Johnson, Jae Crowder, Al Horford, Jonas Jerebko and Gerald Green.   In fact, the first 4 names on there all had rates above 70%.

He's a good offensive rebounder, so two-thirds of his shots are all within this range.  And yet he's simply not good at putting the [dang] ball back in the hoop!

And if you are looking for him to kick those rebounds out for someone else to finish, beware.  He has a career 16.8% TOV rate (17% last year).   The only Celtic last year with a rate that high was Jordan Mickey!

He's a terrible passer and has no feel for the game whatsoever.  He grabs rebounds based on athleticism.   But he doesn't _DO_ positive things with the rebounds he gets!!!  And he's a truly atrocious shooter from all distances, including the FT line, where his career FT% is 50.5% (and it was well below that each of the last two seasons).

Thomas Robinson is not a good basketball player.

On the other hand, Josh Smith isn't anymore either.

I added other....

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Josh Smith's game used to drive me crazy.  Unless he's transformed in some way I'd be unaware of, and older Josh Smith sounds like a bad idea.   

Great analysis on Robinson by mmmmmm  --  I'll vote no on him too based on that.

Third option?

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Josh Smith's game used to drive me crazy.  Unless he's transformed in some way I'd be unaware of, and older Josh Smith sounds like a bad idea.   

Great analysis on Robinson by mmmmmm  --  I'll vote no on him too based on that.

Third option?

I added Spencer Hawes...

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 07:04:07 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Spencer Hawes is better than Bogut? You mean last year, right?

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 07:06:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
any votes for Sheed ?