Author Topic: Horfords trade value  (Read 3078 times)

Horfords trade value
« on: August 31, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
When Danny commented on how Isaiah doesn't fit this teams timetable, that made me wonder - what does he think of Horfords fit? I like AH a lot and i actually think his game will age gracefully, but there's no doubt that at 31 he may be the next to go.

I thought of a few trades that could make sense and which nets Boston a quality return...

Trade 1.
Boston trades: Al Horford, Shane Larkin
Portland trades: Jusuf Nurkic, Evan Turner, Ed Davis

Trade 2.
Boston trades: Al Horford
OKC trades: Steven Adams, Kyle Singler, 2018 1st round pick (top 20 protected)

Trade 3.
Milwaukee trades: Greg Monroe, Thon Maker, Mirza Teletovic

Trade 4.
Boston trades: Al Horford, 2nd round pick
Houston trades: Clint Capela, Ryan Anderson, Tarik Black

Am i close on his value? I know he is a 31 year old making 30 mill a season but there is no doubt he is still a solid contributor. I think there will be a market for his talents if the Celtics chose to part ways with him.

Re: Horfords trade value
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think Horford's trade value is tough. Certainly, he is a "win now" piece at his age, and we are in win now and later mode.

He is too pricy for what he brings to the table to be a real attractive piece in and of himself to another team. We would really need a big in return, so it really would be odd to find a trade partner that needs him but can give us a big in return that, presumably, would be just as good?

I think Horford fits great here in terms of spacing, playmaking ability (really really above average for a big), and defense, so I think we ride out his contract. He is more valuable to us and our system than anywhere else, I think.

The only way I see him being moved is if it's as the main salary with other pieces for a max contract better big, where the other team doesn't mind taking him as a decent place holding player that maybe they can deal later but they really want the additional pieces we'd offer.

Specifically, someone like Anthony Davis (pipe dream).

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 10:51:30 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Only trade two comes close in terms of value for the Celtics.

But none of them really help push the team forward.   

More likely, he is the big contract in a bigger trade for a better big man (if one comes available)

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Horford and Lakers Pick
for
Carmelo and Porzingis

Knicks get out from under Carmelo and have an asset (Horford) that is more tradeable plus a really good future pick.  We have to put up with Carmelo for a season or two but I think we could get enough out of him to actually help, plus get our young big for the future.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Why in the world would the Knicks do that? They have no need for Horford and Porzingis is the type of prospect you want that pick to be used on.

Only if they're done with Porzingis as a high level prospect would they make that move.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:04:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I want no part of Nurkic or Turner. Turners deal is bad and Nurkic is a potential headcase who was only high level for such a short span.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 11:28:39 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Only in an AD trade would I consider moving Al, otherwise I don't see the downside of our oldest player being a facilitating, floor spacing, versatile defender. Let Al be a calming influence in the locker room while the other guys figure out where they fit on this team.

Isaiah not fitting the timeline is different since he was lining up to be our primary scoring option over the youth movement. If we needed that role filled it makes sense to fill it with Kyrie since he should still be in his prime when the young guns are entering there's.

Like you said Horford should age gracefully. His post prime probably won't look all that different than how he plays right now, similar to how KG was able keep his production up well into his 30's.

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:44:02 AM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
Any doubts I had about Horford were erased in the playoffs. The issue is us not having a springy rim-protecting 4 to play with him. I don't see us getting value for him given his contract.

I am optimistic about how his game will age. I believe he could be the starting center on a championship team at 33y/o. If we end up re-signing him to a reasonable deal as a first big off the bench, I would be really happy.

Edit: The situation is different from IT for many reasons, maybe most of all because the team isn't about to have to make a decision about committing max dollars to Horford. If we had to sign him this off-season, maybe we wouldn't. But given that he's already learned the system and is under contract, I don't see him being moved until he's expiring and likely not even then.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:49:42 AM by CapnDunks »

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 11:50:30 AM »

Offline timriffic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I've been thinking when New Orleans team fails again , we offer Horford  ,Rozier  and the Lakers pick for Cousins.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
When Danny commented on how Isaiah doesn't fit this teams timetable, that made me wonder - what does he think of Horfords fit? I like AH a lot and i actually think his game will age gracefully, but there's no doubt that at 31 he may be the next to go.

I thought of a few trades that could make sense and which nets Boston a quality return...

Trade 1.
Portland trades: Jusuf Nurkic, Evan Turner, Ed Davis

Trade 2.
Boston trades: Al Horford
OKC trades: Steven Adams, Kyle Singler, 2018 1st round pick (top 20 protected)

Trade 3.
Milwaukee trades: Greg Monroe, Thon Maker, Mirza Teletovic

Trade 4.
Boston trades: Al Horford, 2nd round pick
Houston trades: Clint Capela, Ryan Anderson, Tarik Black

Am i close on his value? I know he is a 31 year old making 30 mill a season but there is no doubt he is still a solid contributor. I think there will be a market for his talents if the Celtics chose to part ways with him.

Trade 1 is a maybe depending on how you feel about Evan Turner.

Trade 2 I think is way overvaluing Al. With Adam's current skill set and his age, I'd probably prefer Adams straight up. You're definitely not getting him and a 1st rounder.

Trade 3 take Thon Maker and Shane out and yes.

Trade 4 - I haven't watched enough of Houston, so I don't know.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Horford will not be traded this season unless he asks to be traded, and frankly I don't think him getting traded next summer is all that likely.

Thomas being traded was far more about his salary timeline then his actual age timeline. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
isnt his contract up in 2 years? I dont think he will be traded. Horfords game complements what Brad stevens wants to do perfectly. he is a passing big man who can space the floor and shoot the 3. part of the reason we were able to make it to the ECF was because of Horford.

he really stepped it up in the playoffs as well

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 05:06:09 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I've been thinking when New Orleans team fails again , we offer Horford  ,Rozier  and the Lakers pick for Cousins.

First, offer Horford, Smart, Tatum, Yabusele, Lakers pick, Clippers pick, Grizzlies pick for AD while also taking on E'Twaun Moore and Solomon Hill contracts from them.

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

First, offer Horford, Smart, Tatum, Yabusele, Lakers pick, Clippers pick, Grizzlies pick for AD while also taking on E'Twaun Moore and Solomon Hill contracts from them.
Wayyyyyy too much
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
isnt his contract up in 2 years? I dont think he will be traded. Horfords game complements what Brad stevens wants to do perfectly. he is a passing big man who can space the floor and shoot the 3. part of the reason we were able to make it to the ECF was because of Horford.

he really stepped it up in the playoffs as well
He is the perfect center for this team, great passer, ball movement, doesn't have the ego.  I doubt he'll be traded unless its for Davis.  I could see Stevens wanting him resigned at lower rate when contract ends.