Poll

Now Playing With Boston Under Brad Stevens, Where Do You Think Irving Will Rank Of ALL Starting PG's In NBA After THIS Season?

16 (14%)
12 (10.5%)
38 (33.3%)
13 (11.4%)
24 (21.1%)
2 (1.8%)
4 (3.5%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (0.9%)
#11-12
0 (0%)
#13-14
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
Lower Than Half The League
4 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Poll: Irving's Ranking Of All Starting PG's Now Playing W/Boston?  (Read 14590 times)

Re: Poll: Irving's Ranking Of All Starting PG's Now Playing W/Boston?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 02:53:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Are y'all serious with some of these rankings? Lowry, Conley??
Westbrook and Curry are clearly the best in the game but Kyrie, Isaiah, Wall and maybe Lillard are very clearly the next few.

Kyrie has excelled at the biggest stage , while RW choked.
RW just averaged 37.4 p, 11.6 r, and 10.8 a in the playoffs.  he threw in 2.4 steals a game for good measure. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Without the benefit of seeing Kyrie play under Brad Stevens yet, I would currently rank them as Curry, Paul, Westbrook, and Irving.

Can we please pump the brakes on the one year trial PG that was James Harden. I see people downgrading Irving because of his defense, but at the same time forget that Harden may be the worst defender in the history of the game. Lets not forget that he also quits during the middle of plays. He is also awful in the playoffs, where he is almost a virtual lock to chock.

Curry, Paul, Westbrook and Harden are all in offensive systems built around them. Where as Cleveland had their offense built around LeBron. Also, most teams outlet the ball to their PG to create easy baskets on fast breaks. Irving didn't even have those opportunities since LeBron would get the outlet and is a 250+ pound locomotive.

As I mentioned, Cleveland ran their offense through LeBron, which is perfectly understandable. LeBron averaged a career high 8.7 assists per game last season. I fully expect Irving to excel in an offense built around him by Brad Stevens, in particular with creating opportunities for teammates. We already know he is a proven playoff performer, especially in the clutch. I could also see Kyrie ranked as high as #1, playing under Stevens.

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 03:06:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
JUST TO CLARIFY my original post: Yes, we HAVE NOT seen Irving play a minute for the Celtics or coach Stevens yet. I'm just asking what you guys PREDICT and how you think Irving will do playing under Steven's system. We've seen what CBS has done to players like IT4, Crowder, Turner, etc. in the past. What can he do to help Irving and to elevate his game more is the big question obviously.

ALSO, yeah Harden I guess should be excluded. Totally forgot CP3 being there probably pushes Harden out of the PG position. My bad.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Are y'all serious with some of these rankings? Lowry, Conley??
Westbrook and Curry are clearly the best in the game but Kyrie, Isaiah, Wall and maybe Lillard are very clearly the next few.

From that list it's easy to surmise that you only see the offensive end of the floor. The guys you just mentioned are some of the worst defensive PGs in the league.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Polls like this are meaningless considering the high volume scoring "PGs" are dominating the NBA.

If you look at NBARank from last season, you'll see 5 out of the top 10 are in this category:
Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Paul, Lillard.

The next 10 add another 3 more in Irving, Wall and Lowry. There is a case that can be made that *a healthy* IT is now somewhere in that 10-20 list as well.

That means roughly half of the top 20 players in the NBA are in Irving's category, and they're all within the same conversation. Don't you think that Kyrie could do what Westbrook is doing in OKC (considering they've obviously abandoned any semblance of a team and incorporated the "Get the ball to Tucker" stat pad strategy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Zoh761OsA

That doesn't mean "Kyrie isn't even a top 5 PG dur dur trade sucks."
1) Player Talent != Trade Value (Carmelo Anthony is a better basketball player than Jayson Tatum, but he doesn't have as much trade value).
2) Ranking of superstars is highly subjective and situational.

Let's just agree that they're all superstars and move on.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:50:52 PM by Erik »

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Without the benefit of seeing Kyrie play under Brad Stevens yet, I would currently rank them as Curry, Paul, Westbrook, and Irving.

Can we please pump the brakes on the one year trial PG that was James Harden. I see people downgrading Irving because of his defense, but at the same time forget that Harden may be the worst defender in the history of the game. Lets not forget that he also quits during the middle of plays. He is also awful in the playoffs, where he is almost a virtual lock to chock.

Curry, Paul, Westbrook and Harden are all in offensive systems built around them. Where as Cleveland had their offense built around LeBron. Also, most teams outlet the ball to their PG to create easy baskets on fast breaks. Irving didn't even have those opportunities since LeBron would get the outlet and is a 250+ pound locomotive.

As I mentioned, Cleveland ran their offense through LeBron, which is perfectly understandable. LeBron averaged a career high 8.7 assists per game last season. I fully expect Irving to excel in an offense built around him by Brad Stevens, in particular with creating opportunities for teammates. We already know he is a proven playoff performer, especially in the clutch. I could also see Kyrie ranked as high as #1, playing under Stevens.

1. Harden just almost won the MVP (2nd). He put up 29/11/8 and as bad as he is on defense, Kyrie is worse given virtually every metric. He also produced far more in the playoffs and has consistently done so. Kyrie can't hold Harden's jock.

2. Curry, Paul, Westbrook and Harden all have proven that they should have offensive systems built around them. Kyrie hasn't. Now maybe that's unfair because they do have the best player in his generation, but there's at least an equal chance that Kyrie looks a lot better because he's getting fed open looks and getting 1-on-1 coverage because Lebron is doing the heavy lifting.

3. The rest of your post is nothing but excuses, which all boil down to the same one. "Lebron is too good, he distributes the ball too well, he's better on the break...blah blah blah". This isn't a ringing endorsement of Kyrie's abilities if Lebron is better at every single facet of the game.
Lebron just put up 33/12/10 in the MVP finals and was blown out. Now why was that? Was it Lebron was too good? Or was it that other players, including Irving, didn't step up? Sure, Irving put in 29/4/4, but that doesn't do much good when the guy opposite you puts up 27/8/10.

The last 3 years Lebron has sat 22 games. Kyrie has played in many of them. Cleveland won three of those games. The last two years - when Kyrie should be rounding into the best player he can be - he's 1-5 in those games and the only win is a 1 point victory against Dallas. He's had a negative plus/minus in 5 of those 6. That has to concern anyone who thinks that Kyrie is a budding superstar who is somehow being held back by Lebron because he surely hasn't shown he can step up when he's had the (albeit small) opportunity.

Many of you are counting on some sort of massive leap from Irving. That Brad will get him to play defense. That somehow he'll become a better distributor because Lebron isn't distributing. That he'll be able to shoulder a scoring load when he's the #1 scorer and teams key on him. That he won't continue to make inane comments (it ain't just one, folks) or act like a child and not speak to anyone during the playoffs. None of these are sure bets and some of these have less than a 50/50 chance of coming true.

As I said, he's probably somewhere between the 8th and 11th best PG in the league right now and there's a not-insignificant chance he won't get much better than that. Stop dreaming about him being #3 because he has a mountain to climb before he's anywhere near that.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:33:58 PM by Granath »

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 04:10:44 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
I'd struggle to put him ahead of Curry, Westbrook or whomever is the "PG" for Houston. It's a toss up with Wall, Lowry and Lillard from there. Gun to my head I'm willing to put him ahead of that group and put him at 4th on a technicality since either Paul or Harden wouldn't be starting at PG.

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 04:30:59 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

1. Harden just won the MVP. He put up 29/11/8 and as bad as he is on defense, Kyrie is worse given virtually every metric. He also produced far more in the playoffs and has consistently done so. Kyrie can't hold Harden's jock.

2. Curry, Paul, Westbrook and Harden all have proven that they should have offensive systems built around them. Kyrie hasn't. Now maybe that's unfair because they do have the best player in his generation, but there's at least an equal chance that Kyrie looks a lot better because he's getting fed open looks and getting 1-on-1 coverage because Lebron is doing the heavy lifting.

3. The rest of your post is nothing but excuses, which all boil down to the same one. "Lebron is too good, he distributes the ball too well, he's better on the break...blah blah blah". This isn't a ringing endorsement of Kyrie's abilities if Lebron is better at every single facet of the game.
Lebron just put up 33/12/10 in the MVP finals and was blown out. Now why was that? Was it Lebron was too good? Or was it that other players, including Irving, didn't step up? Sure, Irving put in 29/4/4, but that doesn't do much good when the guy opposite you puts up 27/8/10.

The last 3 years Lebron has sat 22 games. Kyrie has played in many of them. Cleveland won three of those games. The last two years - when Kyrie should be rounding into the best player he can be - he's 1-5 in those games and the only win is a 1 point victory against Dallas. He's had a negative plus/minus in 5 of those 6. That has to concern anyone who thinks that Kyrie is a budding superstar who is somehow being held back by Lebron because he surely hasn't shown he can step up when he's had the (albeit small) opportunity.

Many of you are counting on some sort of massive leap from Irving. That Brad will get him to play defense. That somehow he'll become a better distributor because Lebron isn't distributing. That he'll be able to shoulder a scoring load when he's the #1 scorer and teams key on him. That he won't continue to make inane comments (it ain't just one, folks) or act like a child and not speak to anyone during the playoffs. None of these are sure bets and some of these have less than a 50/50 chance of coming true.

As I said, he's probably somewhere between the 8th and 11th best PG in the league right now and there's a not-insignificant chance he won't get much better than that. Stop dreaming about him being #3 because he has a mountain to climb before he's anywhere near that.

I know I'm fairly new here, but if you're going to trash someone's post, at least make sure your opening line has merit. A guy named Russell Westbrook won MVP and not James Harden.

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 04:33:34 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

1. Harden just won the MVP. He put up 29/11/8 and as bad as he is on defense, Kyrie is worse given virtually every metric. He also produced far more in the playoffs and has consistently done so. Kyrie can't hold Harden's jock.

I know I'm fairly new here, but if you're going to trash someone's post, at least make sure your opening line has merit. A guy named Russell Westbrook won MVP and not James Harden.

It was supposed to say "almost". Sorry for the omission but it doesn't change a [dang] thing.

If we asked the same question a week ago, the answers would have almost certainly been between 6th and 10th. Now that he's in green we have people thinking he's top 3. It's Homerism at its worst. Irving didn't get better yet and he hasn't done particularly well with the few opportunities he's had to be The Man.

I'm not writing off his abilities. I'm not writing off the ability for Brad to improve a player. But let's not pretend he's suddenly a top 3 stud because he plays on the Celtics. He has to prove that he is.

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
What's being ignored is this: Kyrie is an absolute assassin in the playoffs. Please tell me, how has Harden performed in the post-season?

This isn't just about playing along side Lebron. The bottom line is that Kyrie has proven that he is up to the task when the championship is on the line. If he doesn't win a scoring title or average a triple double, who cares? The point is to win, and that means playing great when it matters most.

Lastly: if you ask me international competition is telling. Whom do the coaches start on a team loaded with talent? Who distinguishes himself? Kyrie starting for team USA and winning MVP of the FIBA World Cup at age 22 -- on a team that also had Curry, Harden, Cousins, and Anthony Davis -- speaks volumes.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Can we please pump the brakes, and at least give him some time?

Isaiah Thomas came originally as a sixth man, but proved his worth, and climbed well within the two years. I don't expect Kyrie to gel immediately with the team, but Hayward and Hoford are the perfect complimentary and offensive players to create an winning foundation.

I don't really have Kyrie pegged as a top 3 PG. But I do believe, he'll really come into his own, and surprise everyone by doing exceptionally well. Players like Kyrie, Isaiah, and someone like Kemba, could thrive incredibly well in Brad's system.

What's being ignored is this: Kyrie is an absolute assassin in the playoffs. Please tell me, how has Harden performed in the post-season?

This isn't just about playing along side Lebron. The bottom line is that Kyrie has proven that he is up to the task when the championship is on the line. If he doesn't win a scoring title or average a triple double, who cares? The point is to win, and that means playing great when it matters most.

Lastly: if you ask me international competition is telling. Whom do the coaches start on a team loaded with talent? Who distinguishes himself? Kyrie starting for team USA and winning MVP of the FIBA World Cup at age 22 -- on a team that also had Curry, Harden, Cousins, and Anthony Davis -- speaks volumes.

It was supposed to say "almost". Sorry for the omission but it doesn't change a [dang] thing.

If we asked the same question a week ago, the answers would have almost certainly been between 6th and 10th. Now that he's in green we have people thinking he's top 3. It's Homerism at its worst. Irving didn't get better yet and he hasn't done particularly well with the few opportunities he's had to be The Man.

I'm not writing off his abilities. I'm not writing off the ability for Brad to improve a player. But let's not pretend he's suddenly a top 3 stud because he plays on the Celtics. He has to prove that he is.

Agree.

I want to cheer Kyrie Irving on, because from the looks of it, he's coming here.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
While people throw up stats, and numbers, which you can agree with, you also can't deny Kyrie Irving has had an impressive resume.

NBA champion (2016)
4× NBA All-Star (2013–2015, 2017)
NBA All-Star Game MVP (2014)
All-NBA Third Team (2015)
NBA Rookie of the Year (2012)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (2012)
NBA Rising Stars Challenge MVP (2012)
NBA Three-Point Shootout champion (2013)
USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (2014)
FIBA World Cup MVP (2014)

Who knows whether or not, Stevens can hone within Irving himself, to become an even more deadlier Kyrie Irving. But I have firm trust in Ainge and co; that I know one outcome will simply be the same.

Time wants to happen.

Kyrie Irving will be amazing in Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JyKXTb0oWM&t=125s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gr9KqaPfSw&t=323s
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »

Offline LaBran Jaymes

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
Kyrie is the best 1 on 1 player in the league.

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 09:27:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

There is certainly homerism, but... Let's say someone's list of PG's at the end of the season was something like Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Paul, Isaiah Thomas, Wall, Lillard, Kyrie. So Irving is 8.

Harden will go back to SG next seaosn. IT becoming a 2nd option knocks him back. The margin between Wall, Lillard and Kyrie is razor thin but just giving Kyrie the keys to his own car, I think he leapfrogs them. That gets him to 4.

Westbrook has a new all star teammate and (presumably) won't be as heck-bent on winning the MVP as he was last season. Paul will be on a new team and sharing the ball with Harden. If it's possible that either one of them takes even a marginal step backwards and Kyrie's effort/decision making increasing under Stevens, Kyrie can become the 3rd or even 2nd best PG in the league next season.

Homerism? Sure. But it's not that improbable, is it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
While people throw up stats, and numbers, which you can agree with, you also can't deny Kyrie Irving has had an impressive resume.

NBA champion (2016)
4× NBA All-Star (2013–2015, 2017)
NBA All-Star Game MVP (2014)
All-NBA Third Team (2015)
NBA Rookie of the Year (2012)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (2012)
NBA Rising Stars Challenge MVP (2012)
NBA Three-Point Shootout champion (2013)
USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year (2014)
FIBA World Cup MVP (2014)

Who knows whether or not, Stevens can hone within Irving himself, to become an even more deadlier Kyrie Irving. But I have firm trust in Ainge and co; that I know one outcome will simply be the same.

Time wants to happen.

Kyrie Irving will be amazing in Boston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JyKXTb0oWM&t=125s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gr9KqaPfSw&t=323s

Guessing Kyrie is now the "PG of the Future" for the Celtics?

Just have to hope he doesn't bolt in 2 years and he agrees to sign an extension to stay here.

And that's a phenomenal resume but it will be a huge adjustment becoming an alpha of a team, unless of course we trade for Anthony Davis or something of that caliber next summer.