Poll

Now Playing With Boston Under Brad Stevens, Where Do You Think Irving Will Rank Of ALL Starting PG's In NBA After THIS Season?

16 (14%)
12 (10.5%)
38 (33.3%)
13 (11.4%)
24 (21.1%)
2 (1.8%)
4 (3.5%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (0.9%)
#11-12
0 (0%)
#13-14
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
Lower Than Half The League
4 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Poll: Irving's Ranking Of All Starting PG's Now Playing W/Boston?  (Read 14639 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Assuming this trade doesn't get voided and Irving is coming to Boston, where do you think Irving will rank of all starting PG's now that he's with Boston.

Generally, most "Point Guard Rankings/Power Rankings" done by VARIOUS sites have Irving BETWEEN #6-10 in their rankings, and they typically say it's lower than #6 because Irving can't generate assists with his teammates and his defense is POOR. Some of these rankings have Isaiah higher than Irving (welp) because while his defense is also bad, Isaiah can generate assists to his teammates, as he showed last season.

Although some sites were also HARSHER with Irving, putting him just a little over Top-15 (half the league) and saying he needs to improve his defense a lot, become a better playmaker (pass the ball around and generate assists), and score more efficiently.

So, if you think Irving will elevate his game and become a Harden-esque type guard here or something close, where do you think Irving will rank after this season, playing with Boston under Brad Stevens? I definitely hope Stevens can get the best out of Irving and elevate his game even further. This will definitely be the best coach Irving has had since his college days at Duke.

My Prediction? #7. I have (in no order) Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Wall, Lilliard and CP3 ahead of Irving. Although a lot depends on how Paul will fit in with Houston and it's pretty close with the other grouping of Lowry/Kemba/Conley to be honest. And if Isaiah misses a month or two but comes back fairly healthy, I think he is ahead of Irving still which pushes it to #8. Isaiah WAS higher than Irving in most of these and had the better season last year than Irving.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:42:28 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Poll: Irving's Ranking Of All Starting PG's Now Playing W/Boston?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 04:35:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He has a chance to be the best PG. He makes up his assists with big time scoring
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:27:16 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 04:36:31 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He isn't a Celtic yet; funny how I never saw this conversation had about IT, though - the most underappreciated player in Celtic history.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:41:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
He isn't a Celtic yet; funny how I never saw this conversation had about IT, though - the most underappreciated player in Celtic history.

If you have read all my posts/replies on this board, I HATED the trade when it was made.

Also I was one who WANTED to pay Isaiah the max to keep him here.

But it is what it is now, either trade gets voided or this is reality.

And I did acknowledge in my post that Isaiah was usually higher than Irving on these rankings.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 04:44:29 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Man if Irving is worse than half the league's starting PG's...  :o

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

If you have read all my posts/replies on this board, I HATED the trade when it was made.

And I did acknowledge in my post that Isaiah was usually higher than Irving on these rankings.

I had a sense if your position, didn't mean to give you the impression that I was singling you out.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 04:49:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

I had a sense if your position, didn't mean to give you the impression that I was singling you out.

Oh ok lol.

I couldn't make this poll with Isaiah because I mean.. we've seen what he can do in this system now lol. Don't know with Irving yet.

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 04:59:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Whether he is on the Celtics or Cavs, Irving is somewhere between 3 and 8 of PG rankings depending on your individual preference, but I think he is pretty clearly behind Curry and Westbrook for just about everyone.  I personally also have him behind Paul and Wall, so I'd rank him 5th, but I can see arguments on a number of other PG's who are better defenders. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think he jumps to #2. He's not going to leapfrog Curry but I think if Kyrie comes to Boston and plays under Stevens with Hayward and Horford he becomes a top level MVP candidate and is considered one of the 5 best players in the game.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 05:26:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I put Westbrook, Curry, and Harden above Irving but not all that much.  I put him ahead of Wall, Lillard, and Paul but those 3 are all good. That makes him at #4 with a little uptick for playing with Stephens/Celtics over last season.

I think IT was around #3 or #4 or so last year but unfortunately, he is probably not going to be that good again.  I am glad I got to see so much of his play last season.  It was a truly remarkable year for a 5'-9" guard with a bad hip who had been a 6th man for most of his career.

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think he is currently #5 and I will keep my expectations there and be happily surprised if he surpasses them. I do think there is a good chance he has a mini-break out with Boston, but don't see Kobe in our future.

Right now I have Curry, Westbrook, Harden, and Wall ahead of him. CP3 should be losing a step at any time (and his health isn't exactly killer) and I prefer Kyrie to Lillard, but can see how they may be comparable. I am also not completely comfortable calling Harden a PG so he may climb to #4 this season just based on the addition of CP3 to Houston's line-up.

Any metric that has Kyrie past #10 is extremely flawed.

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 05:32:23 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Westbrook, Curry, Irving. After voting and reading the thread I did not put Harden in the PG category so I'll keep Kyrie at 3. I think Kyrie is a better scorer that Westbrook but I gotta give RW the nod in other categories, other than shooting. Regardless of who was on him team, a triple-double is hard to eclipse and he did carry his team to a better record than I anticipated.

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I think he is currently #5 and I will keep my expectations there and be happily surprised if he surpasses them. I do think there is a good chance he has a mini-break out with Boston, but don't see Kobe in our future.

Right now I have Curry, Westbrook, Harden, and Wall ahead of him. CP3 should be losing a step at any time (and his health isn't exactly killer) and I prefer Kyrie to Lillard, but can see how they may be comparable. I am also not completely comfortable calling Harden a PG so he may climb to #4 this season just based on the addition of CP3 to Houston's line-up.

Any metric that has Kyrie past #10 is extremely flawed.

Against my better judgement for jinxing purposes, I'm posting here before the trade is finalized or rescinded, and I agree with this.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 05:47:57 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I think he jumps to #2. He's not going to leapfrog Curry but I think if Kyrie comes to Boston and plays under Stevens with Hayward and Horford he becomes a top level MVP candidate and is considered one of the 5 best players in the game.
My thoughts exactly. I wonder how long will Curry be able to sustain this level of play.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Hmm, seems like many are confident he can become a Top-4 PG in the league with CBS and Boston.