Author Topic: Do You Actually Think Kyrie Likes The Idea Of Playing In Boston?  (Read 10240 times)

Re: Do You Actually Think Kyrie Likes The Idea Of Playing In Boston?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2017, 02:36:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dream situation for him

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
He loves it:

Parents both went to BU.
Great team and system.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
To answer the OP:

I hope so or this deal will go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history and that's not hyperbole.
The only way this goes down as the worst trades in NBA history is if the pick becomes an MVP caliber player.

I think you underestimate the risk.

If Kyrie leaves after two years and we haven't won a title the deal is a massive bust no matter who is selected in the draft. It's not just the pick, it's also Zizic (who was valued as a late lottery pick at draft time), Crowder (one of the best contracts in the league) and breaking up the core of an ascending, 53 win, ECF team.  The only way that isn't true is if IT is done (and he's not).

It's also not just "the pick" but the value of the pick. There's a simple economic idea called opportunity cost. Even if the pick turns out to be a bust, there's also the question of who else could we have reasonably drafted with that pick or who we could have received in a trade for that pick. Thus Irving leaving means we gave away a good prospect, a top contract, an All-Star who wasn't yet 30 and a pick that could have returned any number of All-Star caliber players. That's an epic bust any way you slice it.

If it turns out to be #1, Bags ends up being the Next Great Thing and Irving leaves? Then this goes down as the worst trade in modern NBA history. Even worse than the Brooklyn deal that gave us those picks. It would be considered about as bad as the deal that ultimately ended up bringing Magic to the Lakers. 

I'm not saying that's what it will go down as. I hope that Irving develops into what we all hope he can become and the Nets pick ends up being 7th or 8th. Then we win. But Lordy there's a lot of risk in this one.

So the BKN trade that brought us:

The #17 in 2014, #3 in 2016, #3 in 2017, the LAL/Sac pick, and the BKN 2018 pick would be worse than trading:

One those picks, an injured/aging star, a good role player, and low ceiling 1st for a perennial all-star in his prime...for at least 2 seasons? I mean, I don't know what to say. BKN got 1 year of Pierce and 1 1/2 years of KG. That is just dreadful and has set that team back for over a decade.

Sticking with recent Boston trades, I would say the IT PHX deal would still be considered worse than this one. Continuing with this exercise, how did Minny really make out in the KG trade?

You typically make insightful, articulate posts on CB, but this one is literally the definition of hyperbole.

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2017, 02:44:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I should also note that we should have a pretty good idea whether or not Kyrie will want to re-sign with us by the trading deadline in 2019. If it isn't looking good, we should still be able to recoup some of our losses by acquiring a decent haul for the Bird rights to a max player.

Unless something goes tragically wrong, Kyrie will have the opportunity to make the most money at the most years, in a winning environment, where he is at least the 1a on the team. It may have been a gamble, but not like an all-out one.

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »

Offline BostonClamCrowdah

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 14
Yes I do

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2017, 02:51:46 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
does he like it.... maybe
or does he LOVE it ... thats the question

answer is yes

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think he really like the idea of playing for a stable organization with good owners (aka not Dan Gilbert) and a great up and coming coach (aka not LeBron or Tye Lue).

He's in a great spot here.

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
To answer the OP:

I hope so or this deal will go down as one of the worst trades in NBA history and that's not hyperbole.
The only way this goes down as the worst trades in NBA history is if the pick becomes an MVP caliber player.

I think you underestimate the risk.
Uh how was last year's C's ascending? Our record exceeded our point differential and expected wins.

Our primary players in the rotation are at their peaks or past it. IT had a career and historic season he was unlikely to replicate in efficiency regardless of injury due to age and career years are not the norm. Bradley is as good as he's going to be, Crowder can improve still but he is what he is, and Horford is on the downslope.

Growth needed to come from Free Agents, Brown, Smart, Rozier and future picks (Tatum, next BKN pick)

No matter what Danny needed to take risks to improve the roster, which is what he's done. I wish he'd picked a different horse than Kyrie myself but the idea that this is soo dang risky is maddening to me.

Same people publishing articles about this risk have been demanding that Ainge make a dang trade for years. Literally the same writers, content!  :o

If Kyrie leaves after two years and we haven't won a title the deal is a massive bust no matter who is selected in the draft. It's not just the pick, it's also Zizic (who was valued as a late lottery pick at draft time), Crowder (one of the best contracts in the league) and breaking up the core of an ascending, 53 win, ECF team.  The only way that isn't true is if IT is done (and he's not).

It's also not just "the pick" but the value of the pick. There's a simple economic idea called opportunity cost. Even if the pick turns out to be a bust, there's also the question of who else could we have reasonably drafted with that pick or who we could have received in a trade for that pick. Thus Irving leaving means we gave away a good prospect, a top contract, an All-Star who wasn't yet 30 and a pick that could have returned any number of All-Star caliber players. That's an epic bust any way you slice it.

If it turns out to be #1, Bags ends up being the Next Great Thing and Irving leaves? Then this goes down as the worst trade in modern NBA history. Even worse than the Brooklyn deal that gave us those picks. It would be considered about as bad as the deal that ultimately ended up bringing Magic to the Lakers. 

I'm not saying that's what it will go down as. I hope that Irving develops into what we all hope he can become and the Nets pick ends up being 7th or 8th. Then we win. But Lordy there's a lot of risk in this one.
Edit man I forgot the Goodrich thing was a FA signing. Such a weird thing for the NBA compared to modern day.

If the pick ends up being an all-timer like LBJ/Magic/Bird then even if we win a title its probably a bad trade for the C's overall. Those guys won multiple titles after all. Them's the breaks of making trades there are risks.

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2017, 03:21:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think he really like the idea of playing for a stable organization with good owners (aka not Dan Gilbert) and a great up and coming coach (aka not LeBron or Tye Lue).

He's in a great spot here.
He's been citing Stevens as a draw, I don't think he was high on Dan Gilbert, the rotating GM rollacoster, or the coachs that he's had.

But I'm also skeptical he'll change his game like we need him to.

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2017, 03:38:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Yes. I cannot imagine another player of his caliber and age, demanding a trade, and landing on a team with as much talent as Boston has right now.

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
He loves it:

Parents both went to BU.
Great team and system.

TP for that! Didn't know that tidbit of his parents going to BU. Wow.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
After watching the First Take segment, I really hope Kyrie is genuine when he says he loves the idea of playing in Boston and it's not just because of all teams he could have been traded to, it happened to be Boston.

Roy H. does offer up a good point though, that maybe Kyrie is just promoting his brand and is acting all smug about it (I didn't see it that way on the segment, but...)  :(

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
YES!

« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
He loves it:

Parents both went to BU.
Great team and system.

TP for that! Didn't know that tidbit of his parents going to BU. Wow.

His father is a BU legend.

http://nbafamily.wikia.com/wiki/Drederick_Irving

Makes this moment below kinda heart-warming don't you think?

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/903646819401564161

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2017, 09:55:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!