Author Topic: Do You Actually Think Kyrie Likes The Idea Of Playing In Boston?  (Read 10310 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
In the 'short list' of teams Kyrie provided with the Cavaliers right after it became news he wanted out of Cleveland, Boston was not on that list.

If I remember correctly, teams like NYK, San Antonio and Minnesota were on that list (and a 4th team not named Boston was too, though I forgot who that team was.. Phoenix? Idk.)

I only ask because hey, if Kyrie really LOVES the idea of playing in Boston, he could tell Cleveland and potential suitors.. "I will not play for anyone besides Boston and I will not re-sign with your team when my deal is up"  :laugh:

Then CLE pretty much has no choice and no other team will offer up too much for him either.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Do You Actually Think Kyrie Likes The Idea Of Playing In Boston?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 08:32:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
In the 'short list' of teams Kyrie provided with the Cavaliers right after it became news he wanted out of Cleveland, Boston was not on that list.

If I remember correctly, teams like NYK, San Antonio and Minnesota were on that list (and a 4th team not named Boston was too, though I forgot who that team was.. Phoenix? Idk.)

I only ask because hey, if Kyrie really LOVES the idea of playing in Boston, he could tell Cleveland and potential suitors.. "I will not play for anyone besides Boston and I will not re-sign with your team when my deal is up"  :laugh:

Then CLE pretty much has no choice and no other team will offer up too much for him either.
that was a BS list from woj the Celtics hater

David freaking griffin in an interview said kyrie wanted to play for Stevens and with hayward

Not only that, ainge called kyrie on tuesday with the news and he said kyrie was ecstatic. The team has literally spoken with kyrie

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:33:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He gave up a bunch of money to come here by waiving his trade kicker. Whether this was his top destination or not he's clearly into playing here.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:59:31 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

that was a BS list from woj the Celtics hater

David freaking griffin in an interview said kyrie wanted to play for Stevens and with hayward

Not only that, ainge called kyrie on tuesday with the news and he said he was ecstatic

Woj is really getting on my nerves this off season. Yeah he hasn't been wrong BUT he has rarely broken any of the Celtics major moves and the only time he does is when there's drama (Hayward not making his decision; now this Irving drama)  ::)

But also, didn't Woj report that Irving was 'ecstatic' about coming here  :P

Anyways I have to check that video out on Youtube again (Griffin on The Jump)

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 08:38:48 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
After playing in Boston for the remainder of his contract, and being in the thick of the playoffs. I feel confident he'll grow to love the Celtics. He got just what he wanted, he's "the man" on a contender, he has the keys to the car.

Not counting the Nets draft pick... we just slipped a fast ball by the Cavs. Hopefully it sticks.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
He gave up a bunch of money to come here by waiving his repeater tax. Whether this was his top destination or not he's clearly into playing here.

Yes!
He waived a 5% salary increase (trade kicker) to save the celtics money.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
He gave up a bunch of money to come here by waiving his repeater tax. Whether this was his top destination or not he's clearly into playing here.

That's not quite right.  He waived his trade kicker, but he wouldn't have gotten then money anyway unless he got traded (and afaik the trade couldn't have happened as constructed if he picked it up).  Luxury Tax is not paid to the players, it's put into a pool and then divided evenly among non-tax paying teams.  The only way he could get more than his contracted amount (excluding playoff bonuses and the trade kicker he waived) would be by going to a team that is under the salary floor at the end of next season
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 08:46:49 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Yes!

That's true.  ;D

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

That's not quite right.  He waived his trade kicker, but he wouldn't have gotten then money anyway unless he got traded (and afaik the trade couldn't have happened as constructed if he picked it up).  Luxury Tax is not paid to the players, it's put into a pool and then divided evenly among non-tax paying teams.  The only way he could get more than his contracted amount (excluding playoff bonuses and the trade kicker he waived) would be by going to a team that is under the salary floor at the end of next season

There was an article on SB Nation saying Kyrie gave up a lot of money and potential future money to come to Boston

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 09:00:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Oops, I muddled two things from a recent post there - I changed it to "trade kicker".  That's what I meant. And yeah, would've required more salary if he hadn't waived it, but doing just that becomes a way of semi-vetoing a trade itself.

Yes!

15%. Potentially a lot of $ if we'd been willing to chip in the extra salary to pay for the raise.

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 09:14:07 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Oops, I muddled two things from a recent post there - I changed it to "trade kicker".  That's what I meant. And yeah, would've required more salary if he hadn't waived it, but doing just that becomes a way of semi-vetoing a trade itself.

Yes!

15%. Potentially a lot of $ if we'd been willing to chip in the extra salary to pay for the raise.

Yep, it was just short of $6 million that he waived.  He could have even kept about $1.8 million and the salaries would have still matched for the trade.

I don't know if he'll ultimately like it here (should the trade go through), but he's certainly starting off with a good-faith effort.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 09:20:03 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I imagine he didn't think of Boston at first but once he was traded I bet he's thrilled by it. His dad was a star at BU and probably had a good time, right in the middle of that C's dynasty, '84-88, and he was Reggie Lewis's main rival. I bet Kyrie gets great vibes about the franchise. Plus, he'd get to join the main team in the league with the mission of trying to beat LeBron? With all our talent, and with Stevens as coach? He might not make any demands, but I bet he'd be majorly bummed if the trade falls apart and he's sent to one of those cities he originally wanted.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Yes!
this

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
From the rumors, he wanted to get away from Lebron, all the "circus" that surrounds him and the extra Circus of this season. He just wants to play basketball.

Playing with Hayward,Horford,Brown,Smart, they're straight up no drama ballers. Tatum could even be considered that from interview with his mom, just seems down to earth.

And you have a coach and organization that are the same. Where most organizations are worried how to fill seats, Boston first worry is titles.

This could be a good fit.

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 09:35:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
“[Kyrie’s] list included really good coaching situations,” Griffin said. “Brad Stevens and [Gregg] Popovich.”

“[Irving] is a guy who recruited LeBron, Hayward and a host of other free agents, and all of a sudden LeBron came back, so he was sold a totally different situation than he’s actually in.”