Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76323 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #465 on: January 21, 2018, 09:49:32 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Non-New England/Boston fans are always quick to hit me with the guilt of being a spoiled fan.  Just want to enjoy it for a couple of hours!
Spoiled? An entitlement isn't being spoiled. Is Prince William spoiled? He can't help he was born the way he was.

Do you accept insurance?  I'd like to book you for weekly sessions.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #466 on: January 21, 2018, 09:51:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Non-New England/Boston fans are always quick to hit me with the guilt of being a spoiled fan.  Just want to enjoy it for a couple of hours!
Spoiled? An entitlement isn't being spoiled. Is Prince William spoiled? He can't help he was born the way he was.
Those people should have tried to be a Pats fan from 1970-1995. The Pats were the joke of the league. They were constantly rumored to be leaving town. Hell, their management couldn't make money off a Michael Jackson tour. Being a Pats fan then was like being a Clippers fan before Blake Griffin.

Nothing entitled about being a Pats fan. Our fandom earned being what we are today.

« Reply #467 on: January 21, 2018, 09:51:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Do you accept insurance?  I'd like to book you for weekly sessions.
No. I only accept cash.

« Reply #468 on: January 21, 2018, 09:52:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Those people should have tried to be a Pats fan from 1970-1995. The Pats were the joke of the league. They were constantly rumored to be leaving town. Hell, their management couldn't make money off a Michael Jackson tour. Being a Pats fan then was like being a Clippers fan before Blake Griffin.

Nothing entitled about being a Pats fan. Our fandom earned being what we are today.
You're entitled to what you earn.

« Reply #469 on: January 21, 2018, 09:54:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I'm not sure you can say the Pats were the joke of the league from 70 to 95. The Pats went to two Super Bowls in that era (and a lot less of them had been played at that point). There are 4 teams that have never even been to one.

« Reply #470 on: January 21, 2018, 10:07:55 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 128

The Pats went to Super Bowl 20, some of these franchises (Browns, Lions, Clippers before Blake, etc) cannot even make it to the playoffs.

« Reply #471 on: January 21, 2018, 10:21:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I'm not sure you can say the Pats were the joke of the league from 70 to 95. The Pats went to two Super Bowls in that era (and a lot less of them had been played at that point). There are 4 teams that have never even been to one.
We went to one SB in that era in 86 and got rolled by the Bears. It was the worst SB loss in history to that point. Our next SB was after Kraft bought the team and Parcells took us to the SB in 96, not 95. Before that there was tons of years of being the worst 3-5 teams in the league. They had 4 number 1 picks in that time because they were the worst team in the league. Chuck Fairbanks leaving. The early 80s. Irving Fryar. Terry Glenn, Darryl Stingley, Victor Kiam, James Orthwein, moving to St Louis, moving to Hartford, Will McDonough beating up Raymond Clayborn, Lisa Olsen, Dave Meggett. The list goes on. We were a laughing stock of the league. Believe me I was there the day we tore down the goalposts because we made the playoffs in 85 and then had a guy almost die on route 1 because of it when they brought the goalpost out of the stadium and it hit an electrical line.

We were the laughing stock of the league at the time.

Have any of you ever been to a game in Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxborough Stadium? The aluminum seats. The no parking on the stadium side, the Foxboro Raceway, the crap field, the horrible care of the stadium during snowstorms....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:31:14 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #472 on: January 21, 2018, 10:30:18 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208

We went to one SB in that era in 86 and got rolled by the Bears. It was the worst SB loss in history to that point. Our next SB was after Kraft bought the team and Parcells took us to the SB in 96, not 95. Before that there was tons of years of being the worst 3-5 teams in the league. They had 4 number 1 picks in that time because they were the worst league in the team. Chuck Fairbanks leaving. The early 80s. Irving Fryar. Terry Glenn, Darryl Stingley, Victor Kiam, James Orthwein, moving to St Louis, moving to Hartford, Will McDonough beating up Raymond Clayborn, Lisa Olsen, Dave Meggett. The list goes on. We were a laughing stock of the league. Believe me I was there the day we tore down the goalposts because we made the playoffs in 85 and then had a guy almost die on route 1 because of it when they brought the goalpost out of the stadium and it hit an electrical line.

The Pats were not THE joke of the league but they were a joke of the league back then.  It was rough being a fan at times (though I was a big fan of Sam the Bam Cunningham).  So much so that I vividly recall sitting at a bar for the first Super Bowl win that I was in shock that of all the Boston teams it was the Pats who won a world championship.

As for the bolded, my mom was at that game and said that the guys carrying the goalpost walked right in front of her car with it.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #473 on: January 21, 2018, 10:37:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

We went to one SB in that era in 86 and got rolled by the Bears. It was the worst SB loss in history to that point. Our next SB was after Kraft bought the team and Parcells took us to the SB in 96, not 95. Before that there was tons of years of being the worst 3-5 teams in the league. They had 4 number 1 picks in that time because they were the worst league in the team. Chuck Fairbanks leaving. The early 80s. Irving Fryar. Terry Glenn, Darryl Stingley, Victor Kiam, James Orthwein, moving to St Louis, moving to Hartford, Will McDonough beating up Raymond Clayborn, Lisa Olsen, Dave Meggett. The list goes on. We were a laughing stock of the league. Believe me I was there the day we tore down the goalposts because we made the playoffs in 85 and then had a guy almost die on route 1 because of it when they brought the goalpost out of the stadium and it hit an electrical line.

The Pats were not THE joke of the league but they were a joke of the league back then.  It was rough being a fan at times (though I was a big fan of Sam the Bam Cunningham).  So much so that I vividly recall sitting at a bar for the first Super Bowl win that I was in shock that of all the Boston teams it was the Pats who won a world championship.

As for the bolded, my mom was at that game and said that the guys carrying the goalpost walked right in front of her car with it.
For the entirety of that time, yeah, we were the joke of the league at the time.

As for the goalpost story, I was sitting in the 100s, midfield and just stayed there and watched the mayhem on the field. Back then, pretty much both ends of the field were open to widespread walking out of the stadium. They tore down the goalposts, which was dangerous looking enough given how much they bent and came down hard, then the mob took them right out onto route 1 no problem. It was mayhem and only the Pats could have had that happen to them back then.

« Reply #474 on: January 21, 2018, 10:58:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

Jim Plunkett  and Steve Grogan, baby!

« Reply #475 on: January 21, 2018, 11:22:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
This may be the sweetest SB because it could realistically be the last.  With Patricia and McDaniels headed off, Brady's age, and whatever you make of the media stuff... one more SB win would be a great way to end an incredible run.

« Reply #476 on: January 21, 2018, 11:31:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This may be the sweetest SB because it could realistically be the last.  With Patricia and McDaniels headed off, Brady's age, and whatever you make of the media stuff... one more SB win would be a great way to end an incredible run.
the patriots have won before with various different coaches not names Patricia and McDaniels. Brady is ageless

« Reply #477 on: January 21, 2018, 11:55:18 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
the patriots have won before with various different coaches not names Patricia and McDaniels. Brady is ageless

Agree. Love Josh and Patricia, but they're not named Tom or Bill.

The Patriots have a good team full of talented players and "team first" guys who are held accountable. They have the proper amount of depth and hungry players who step in when someone gets hurt. They have a very good offensive system with the right players for the right plays at the right times.

But let's not make this too complicated..... it's Tom and Bill.

« Reply #478 on: January 21, 2018, 11:57:21 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

The Patriots have a good team full of talented players and "team first" guys who are held accountable. They have the proper amount of depth and hungry players who step in when someone gets hurt. They have a very good offensive system with the right players for the right plays at the right times.

It's silly to discount all those factors -- McDaniels was with the Pats for all 5 championships and Patricia for 3; Brady is getting old; etc.  But if we're keeping it simple: One or both of Tom and Bill will be gone soon.  It's one of our last trips, if not the last.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:13:49 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #479 on: January 22, 2018, 12:17:24 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

It's silly to discount all those factors -- McDaniels was with the Pats for all 5 championships and Patricia for 3; Brady is getting old; etc.  But if we're keeping it simple: One or both of Tom and Bill will be gone soon.  It's one of our last trips, if not the last.  Don't make this more complicated than it needs to be.

The "soon" part is what everyone is wondering about. Is soon next year, or 6-7 years. People started to say that Brady wouldn't play til 40. Now they're saying he won't play til he is 45. Using conventional wisdom, it makes sense that Brady should have been done by now, and has at most 2 more years left.

If you used conventional wisdom in the past, you would have said that Brady wouldn't have won so many of these tight games in the 4th quarter.

Belichick can do whatever he wants after Brady retires. He's not going anywhere until that day comes.