Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76275 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #360 on: January 15, 2018, 12:14:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Only real concern about Jax is their stout run game.  I remember seeing Fournette on ESPN every weekend without fail while at LSU -- one scary dude and leader of the best run game in the NFL this season.  Unfortunately, the Pats rank ~20th in the league in defensive rushing yards.  There's reason to be hopeful too, though: Despite the yards given, they allowed relatively few TDs; and the Pats defense tends to step up in the playoffs.  I think it will end up being a competitive game with experience trumping grit and youth.

Honestly, I tend to agree with this.  TP, tar. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #361 on: January 17, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Just saw announcement that Brady cancelled press conference due to an injury.   Don't know if this means anything too serious, but certainly is curious and leaves me a little worried.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tom-brady-cancels-press-conference-due-to-injury/ar-AAuPbmp?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

« Reply #362 on: January 17, 2018, 04:54:34 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Just saw announcement that Brady cancelled press conference due to an injury.   Don't know if this means anything too serious, but certainly is curious and leaves me a little worried.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/tom-brady-cancels-press-conference-due-to-injury/ar-AAuPbmp?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz
Did he cancel because of an injury or an “injury”?
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #363 on: January 17, 2018, 05:03:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Not much info out there that I see since the cancelation.

« Reply #364 on: January 17, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Not much info out there that I see since the cancelation.
What they actually said is that he can't make the presser because he's seeing the medical staff. But trust MSN to give you the accurate, non-sensationalist text bite. :D

http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/tom-brady-meeting-medical-staff-wont-speak-media-wednesday
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #365 on: January 17, 2018, 05:47:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Brady limited with throwing hand injury today. I think this has been an issue since at least midseason, but the team skirted the injury report and listed him with other issues when didn't practice.

http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/tom-brady-limited-patriots-practice-right-hand-injury
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #366 on: January 18, 2018, 03:31:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Based on the close-ups here, I'd guess that he's wearing a splint on his thumb.

http://www.weei.com/blogs/alex-reimer/tom-bradys-hand-injury-now-biggest-mystery-new-england

« Reply #367 on: January 18, 2018, 04:04:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That glove looked like it was way to big for his hand. If he hand something wrong with a finger they would just tape the finger to another finger. So must be a thumb problem and that would make sense with wearing a glove as the rubber on the glove might make up for a weaker grip because of a thumb injury.

« Reply #368 on: January 18, 2018, 04:07:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
That glove looked like it was way to big for his hand. If he hand something wrong with a finger they would just tape the finger to another finger. So must be a thumb problem and that would make sense with wearing a glove as the rubber on the glove might make up for a weaker grip because of a thumb injury.
I think he's just wearing the glove to hide the splint.

« Reply #369 on: January 18, 2018, 04:13:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm really hoping this is all gamesmanship and Brady ends up looking just fine.

On the plus side, they don't need high octane offense against this Jags team, they just need to steadily generate points over the course of the game and not turn it over.  The Jags offense won't score more than 20 points or so without help from their defense.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #370 on: January 18, 2018, 04:18:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Does not sound good.  But Brady also isn't human, so it may not even matter.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #371 on: January 18, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
They made a big mistake trading Garoppolo. They could have plugged him in here, beat the Jags, and rest Brady until the Superbowl.

« Reply #372 on: January 18, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
They made a big mistake trading Garoppolo. They could have plugged him in here, beat the Jags, and rest Brady until the Superbowl.

I don't think they would rest Brady unless he literally couldn't grip the ball.

As for Garoppolo, people who dislike that deal will still criticize it even if the Pats win the Super Bowl this year.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #373 on: January 18, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

How certain is everyone that Jimmy is a better bet than Hoyer?  Not talking 5 years from now or even 1 year from now. Veteran Hoyer might be a solid fill-in for one game.

« Reply #374 on: January 18, 2018, 05:24:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

How certain is everyone that Jimmy is a better bet than Hoyer?  Not talking 5 years from now or even 1 year from now. Veteran Hoyer might be a solid fill-in for one game.

They don't.  It's purely speculative. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team