Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76842 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #300 on: December 24, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Patriots won. Great season as it winds down

« Reply #301 on: December 24, 2017, 07:38:13 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I hope Garoppolo is great.  Who cares? Not me.  We've been treated to the best stretch of football in history by the best coach and QB of all-time.   Jimmy G is irrelevant, especially right now while the GOAT is still toiling at MVP level.  Someday when (if) Brady is no longer good and Garoppolo is great, maybe then I'll feel differently, but for now I am indifferent to JG's success.  There was no way to keep him realistically anyway - and it's useless pout over whether the draft pick we got wasn't as high as it could have been.   Maybe Bill will select Brady's true successor with pick #35.
That's the point, though. The GOAT hasn't really toiled at MVP level over the last 5 games.

Agreed.  While we've been able to squeak out some wins lately, the team (and Brady) have me concerned for the postseason for the first time in years.

Plenty of legitimate reasons to be concerned. Gilmore and Butler can't defend a chair right now, and there are lots of injuries on offense AND defense. And Brady hasn't been too sharp for the last month, though he looked really good in the second half of today's game. Hopefully they end up with most of the injured players back (Burkhead, White, Van Noy) and Brady gets in a groove in the playoffs.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #302 on: December 24, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I hope Garoppolo is great.  Who cares? Not me.  We've been treated to the best stretch of football in history by the best coach and QB of all-time.   Jimmy G is irrelevant, especially right now while the GOAT is still toiling at MVP level.  Someday when (if) Brady is no longer good and Garoppolo is great, maybe then I'll feel differently, but for now I am indifferent to JG's success.  There was no way to keep him realistically anyway - and it's useless pout over whether the draft pick we got wasn't as high as it could have been.   Maybe Bill will select Brady's true successor with pick #35.
That's the point, though. The GOAT hasn't really toiled at MVP level over the last 5 games.

Agreed.  While we've been able to squeak out some wins lately, the team (and Brady) have me concerned for the postseason for the first time in years.

Plenty of legitimate reasons to be concerned. Gilmore and Butler can't defend a chair right now, and there are lots of injuries on offense AND defense. And Brady hasn't been too sharp for the last month, though he looked really good in the second half of today's game. Hopefully they end up with most of the injured players back (Burkhead, White, Van Noy) and Brady gets in a groove in the playoffs.

Don t forget Hogan.
#JKJB

« Reply #303 on: December 25, 2017, 11:21:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
May someone explain how that was NOT a catch? Seemed to me Benjamin's foot dragged and had position.

It was a catch, but even if it wasn't by a mere few centimeters or such, there was no conclusive evidence, and the refs should not have overturned the call there (since call on the field was a TD). Many agree with that.

Bills got robbed there to be honest, and I'm a die-hard Pats fan admitting that.

But that play is NOT the reason the Bills lost either. They got vastly outplayed the final 25 minutes of the game and couldn't stop Dion Lewis at all.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #304 on: December 26, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Regarding Garoppolo, I don't see how you can watch that game yesterday and think that he will ever be nearly as good as Brady (or Roethlisberger for that matter).  I think Garoppolo is about Alex Smith at best and let's see if he even achieves that.  He is playing fine but it has been the Bears, Texans, and Titans.  I predict he will not do as well against the Jags and Rams.
The Titans have one of the top defenses in the league (the Steelers, by the way, don't -- that's since you mentioned yesterday's game). Garropolo marched right up their gut to set up his kicker for the game-winning FG. What he's done with the bunch of useless spare parts they served up to him in SF is impressive. Add to this the fact that he took over Brady's team last season and we had no dropoff, and I'm ready to call this.
I'll self-servingly quote myself to point out that after hanging 44 points on the Jags (with a team  that couldn't win a game before he showed up), it's time to put the "Is Jimmy G for real" debate to bed.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #305 on: December 26, 2017, 05:09:40 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Pats signed James Harrison.  I'm sure he's close to cooked.  But he recorded 5 sacks last year, and if he makes one big play in the playoffs, it'll be well worth it.  Vets are invaluable come championship time.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #306 on: December 26, 2017, 05:30:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Pats signed James Harrison.  I'm sure he's close to cooked.  But he recorded 5 sacks last year, and if he makes one big play in the playoffs, it'll be well worth it.  Vets are invaluable come championship time.
Think he's cooked too but he probably can still give us a better pass rush than 90% of our players.

« Reply #307 on: December 26, 2017, 05:43:20 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Think he's cooked too but he probably can still give us a better pass rush than 90% of our players.

Yep, sad but true.  During last night's broadcast of the Eagles game they mentioned that Chris Long donated his salary to charity.  Thought that was pretty cool.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #308 on: December 26, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yep, sad but true.  During last night's broadcast of the Eagles game they mentioned that Chris Long donated his salary to charity.  Thought that was pretty cool.
From what I've seen and read he seems to still be a pretty good pass rusher in spurts. Problem is that the rest of his game has really fallen off.

Don't expect him to be anything more than a situational pass rusher and he should be able to do that job as well as anyone we've got save Flowers.

Another bright side to this is that he has historically dominated against Baltimore and KC in fact one of the few games he's been active this year, he tortured Eric Fisher. Those are two of the more likely divisional matchups for us.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #309 on: December 26, 2017, 08:20:32 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Regarding Garoppolo, I don't see how you can watch that game yesterday and think that he will ever be nearly as good as Brady (or Roethlisberger for that matter).  I think Garoppolo is about Alex Smith at best and let's see if he even achieves that.  He is playing fine but it has been the Bears, Texans, and Titans.  I predict he will not do as well against the Jags and Rams.
The Titans have one of the top defenses in the league (the Steelers, by the way, don't -- that's since you mentioned yesterday's game). Garropolo marched right up their gut to set up his kicker for the game-winning FG. What he's done with the bunch of useless spare parts they served up to him in SF is impressive. Add to this the fact that he took over Brady's team last season and we had no dropoff, and I'm ready to call this.
I'll self-servingly quote myself to point out that after hanging 44 points on the Jags (with a team  that couldn't win a game before he showed up), it's time to put the "Is Jimmy G for real" debate to bed.

As a 49er fan, that comparison of Alex and Jimmy makes me laugh.

(I know it wasn't you that made it Koz).

Honestly they aren't similar at all.

Jimmy GQ is a baller.

« Reply #310 on: December 27, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
He has been for real, but how many young QBs look amazing and then taper off after people get film of them etc?

I think Jimmy is a stud, but lets wait and see if he can replicate some of this next year before we go around talking like his future is set in stone.

Plenty of people are regretting some of their RGIII and Dak Prescott takes to this day.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #311 on: December 27, 2017, 06:01:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

he's at least a name that other teams have to think about for a moment.  more than can be said for several of the guys getting snaps on the Pats currently
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #312 on: December 27, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

he's at least a name that other teams have to think about for a moment.  more than can be said for several of the guys getting snaps on the Pats currently
names dont win games.

« Reply #313 on: December 27, 2017, 06:36:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/steelers-players-rip-james-harrison-claim-that-he-forced-his-way-out-of-pittsburgh/

LOL the Steelers are acting so salty over this (besides Big Ben, who was a class act about it). Their fans too.

I mean, they realize Harrison got cut, right? And they are complaining that Harrison wanted out, but come on, he only got like 40 snaps the entire season. Can you really blame him? And it's not like Pittsburgh had to release him. Could have simply kept him for depth in the playoffs, and to keep him from going to NE or Baltimore (another team rumored to have been in on him).

Oh well, their loss is our gain. Not expecting a ton but I definitely feel he can make an impact and a few plays during the playoffs that help us.  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #314 on: December 27, 2017, 06:42:54 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

names dont win games.

Knowing the opponent's defensive game plan does, though. This signing will pay dividends if the Pats play Pittsburgh in the AFC Championship game.