Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76274 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #450 on: January 21, 2018, 08:02:09 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Thought on preferred opponent, Eagles vs. Vikings?

Got to hand it to Philadelphia losing Wentz, staying strong, and now looking like a legit superbowl team so far today.  I know their defense is strong, but I really haven't watched much of the Eagles (or Vikings) this year so not sure what to think.   Fowles looking very solid today.  Keenum also has been excellent from what I've seen of him this year.

Who's your preference?

« Reply #451 on: January 21, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Pats job on Fournette was masterful.

« Reply #452 on: January 21, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
A few things here.

First, that is one of Brady's greatest performances ever. Down 10 in the 4th quarter against the league's #1 pass defense after losing your #1 target with absolutely 0 run game.

Second, great to see big time plays from Gilmore and Harrison down the stretch.

Finally, I, not sure how much I love the monday morning QBing saying Jacksonville played not to lose, or got to conservative. Last year Atlanta kept their foot on the gas offensively and people raked them over the coals for it. I dont think Jacksonville lost because they were too aggressive or conservative or whatever. They lost because Brady and Belichick are the GOAT coach/QB combo and they figured out how to neutralize Fournette and Brady figured out how to pick that defense apart. It happens. They just lost.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #453 on: January 21, 2018, 08:22:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Got to hand it to Philadelphia losing Wentz, staying strong, and now looking like a legit superbowl team so far today.  I know their defense is strong, but I really haven't watched much of the Eagles (or Vikings) this year so not sure what to think.   Fowles looking very solid today.  Keenum also has been excellent from what I've seen of him this year.

Who's your preference?
Eagles. Can't see Foles having a second great game in a row. Also, don't want to play Minny in Minny. Superbowls should be on a neutral field.

« Reply #454 on: January 21, 2018, 08:46:21 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up

Who's your preference?
Eagles. Can't see Foles having a second great game in a row. Also, don't want to play Minny in Minny. Superbowls should be on a neutral field.
Ditto
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #455 on: January 21, 2018, 08:58:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Who's your preference?
Ditto
Not too sure I agree on Foles.

In 2013 he put up a 27/2 td/int ratio. He's not a shmuck.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #456 on: January 21, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Looks like a superbowl rematch.

Boston-Philadelphia rivalry never gets old  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #457 on: January 21, 2018, 09:01:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Pretty much looks like Philly vs NE. Can see the Pats opening up as 4.5 point favorites

« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Gilmore with the play of the game.  But the Jaguars should gladly take the fine and call out the one-sided officiating that cost them this game.

I like following Football Zebras on twitter, and their blog for ref analysis. Here is what they said at the end of the Pats game ( I bolded the key part).

Fᴏᴏᴛʙᴀʟʟ Zᴇʙʀᴀs

Verified account

@footballzebras
 3h3 hours ago
More
Three excellent teams took the field today. An exciting game and a great job by the crew. I'm pressed to find a flaw in today's game, and I usually don't say that

22 replies 14 retweets 57 likes
Reply 22   Retweet 14   Like 57   Direct message

So, I'll take this as confirmation to the eye test that this game was called equally.

« Reply #459 on: January 21, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
Also, I try not to nit-pick wins, but cooks caught 6 of 8 targets for 100 yards, long of 31, avg 16.7...and it seemed like he had a disappointing performance? Plus he drew the key PI penalty? Weird. I was shocked to see his stats when I went to look just now. I guess his 2 drops just really stuck out; 1 I though should have been DPI and another that he 100% should have caught.

I came here to post that he might have had the worst 100 yard receiving game ever, but then I checked the stats and those were his only 2 drops. Weird.

« Reply #460 on: January 21, 2018, 09:33:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Also, I try not to nit-pick wins, but cooks caught 6 of 8 targets for 100 yards, long of 31, avg 16.7...and it seemed like he had a disappointing performance? Plus he drew the key PI penalty? Weird. I was shocked to see his stats when I went to look just now. I guess his 2 drops just really stuck out; 1 I though should have been DPI and another that he 100% should have caught.

I came here to post that he might have had the worst 100 yard receiving game ever, but then I checked the stats and those were his only 2 drops. Weird.
Really?

I came away from this game thinking Cooks played terrific. His best game since early in the year. I was very pleasantly surprised with his ability to consistently best Bouye and draw safety help.

« Reply #461 on: January 21, 2018, 09:33:54 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Non-New England/Boston fans are always quick to hit me with the guilt of being a spoiled fan.  Just want to enjoy it for a couple of hours!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #462 on: January 21, 2018, 09:35:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Really?

I came away from this game thinking Cooks played terrific. His best game since early in the year. I was very pleasantly surprised with his ability to consistently best Bouye and draw safety help.
Agree. I thought he was agressive downfield in trying to get to the ball and caused those two PI penalties. He worked hard and ran great routes. Yes, he had that bad drop but other than that, I thought he was a stud today.

« Reply #463 on: January 21, 2018, 09:38:22 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

Really?

Yeah, I kind of changed my mind halfway through my post when I clicked over to the boxscore to add some stats. Basically, I remember seeing them bring up that Cooks had eclipsed 100 yard, and thinking "gosh, what a bad 100 yard game, he had like 5 drops!", started typing then looked at the stats...I guess he had a good game that could have been GREAT. On his 2 drops, 1 was a key drop that he absolutely should have caught, and the other should have been DPI, and other than that he caught everything. So consider my (mildly beer-addled) mind changed. Which I'm glad for, since I've been a Cooks fan all year!

« Reply #464 on: January 21, 2018, 09:45:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Non-New England/Boston fans are always quick to hit me with the guilt of being a spoiled fan.  Just want to enjoy it for a couple of hours!
Spoiled? An entitlement isn't being spoiled. Is Prince William spoiled? He can't help he was born the way he was.