Author Topic: Patriots 2017 season  (Read 76834 times)

Re: Patriots 2017 season
« Reply #225 on: December 17, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
- The rule is clear and it was also clear the receiver didn't have control all the way through. People who don't know the rule or claim they don't know what a catch is are willfully ignorant at this point.

- Jimmy G is going to be a very good NFL QB.

« Reply #226 on: December 17, 2017, 08:21:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
- The rule is clear and it was also clear the receiver didn't have control all the way through. People who don't know the rule or claim they don't know what a catch is are willfully ignorant at this point.

That “rule” is called wildly inconsistently.

" If a caught ball touches the ground, it’s not a catch.

Sometimes, and sometimes not. Sometimes contact with the ground is allowed if it’s not deemed to have assisted with the catch.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:27:42 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That “rule” is called wildly inconsistently.
Not really. Due to instant replay, they usually get it right. But if you think that is called inconsistently, what about pass interference and holding? There is holding of some kind in every play and pass interference is the most inconsistently called rule in the book. And due to the fact that penalties can't be reviewed...they stand.

The play was called correctly.

Refarding Jimmy G. The Pats got hosed on that trade. They traded away a franchise quality QB for a high 2nd rounder. Just awful trade.

« Reply #228 on: December 17, 2017, 08:41:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Refarding Jimmy G. The Pats got hosed on that trade. They traded away a franchise quality QB for a high 2nd rounder. Just awful trade.
I'm gonna call it right now: choosing 2 years of Brady over a decade of Jimmy was a mistake.

#HotTakeAlert
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #229 on: December 17, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I thought the biggest issue with the no catch was if it was a catch before he reached towards the goal line (which is a football move). But he was in motion towards the goal line before his knee was down. Thus he needed to maintain control going down to the ground to complete the catch. He didn't as we saw on the replay. He really should have just caught the ball then go in backwards he blew that play. I very much enjoy Steelers losing. Such a hypocritical team.

« Reply #230 on: December 17, 2017, 08:46:27 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'm gonna call it right now: choosing 2 years of Brady over a decade of Jimmy was a mistake.

#HotTakeAlert
Disagree.

Jimmy will be great, but Tom is special.

At the QB position the difference matters.

You either need a Brady-level player or a rookie contract guy. Jimmy won't he either next year.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #231 on: December 17, 2017, 08:52:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Worst “rule” in the NFL.  Steelers got jobbed.

Great defense on that INT though.
It's amazing how long it took the crew in the broadcast booth to figure out what they were reviewing. You could see the bobble two replays in.

LOL I was watching just thinking, "just get the review over with so we can get on with it", thinking it was about to be 31-27 PIT with 28 seconds left.

Then Romo is like "OHHHH they may be looking at whether he had control of the ball" and was like "WAIT WHAT..??".

Then the reaction I had when they actually overturned the TD...  :laugh:

BUT THEN the pessimism in me thought, "oh great, so instead of Brady having 28 seconds and 2 timeouts to try and score a TD, Pittsburgh will score here and only leave about 10-15 seconds for Brady", but LUCKILY it didn't come down to that!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #232 on: December 17, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Frankly, that game was UGLY for both sides, though a lot had to do with injuries and the weather it seemed (to a small extent).

Both teams pretty much lost the game SEVERAL times in the final 3 minutes  :laugh:

Frankly, it was a catch, BUT BY RULE IT WAS NOT. That's the flawed catch rule for you, and frankly there's no consistency with those calls around the NFL. The bobble certainly helped NE's case as the ball hit the ground there.

Still, while a win is a win, that was very ugly and could have gone either way.

THAT SAID... Big Ben could have easily thrown the ball away and kicked the game tying FG to force overtime, but instead he makes a risky throw that results in an ill-advised pick. Some bad situational football there by PIT.

Now, Pats HAVE to take care of business the next two weeks and win out to secure #1 seed. Hopefully this isn't like 2015 where injuries + lack of aggression led to two losses to end the season, which cost them the #1 seed and a home game vs. Denver in the AFCCG.

Also, if PIT & JAX both win out and NE loses 1 game, then it doesn't matter what happened tonight, as NE falls to 3 seed I believe. SO.. take care of business the next few weeks Pats! And hope a lot of the guys get healthy again.  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #233 on: December 17, 2017, 08:59:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Frankly, it was a catch, BUT BY RULE IT WAS NOT. That's the flawed catch rule for you, and frankly there's no consistency with those calls around the NFL. The bobble certainly helped NE's case as the ball hit the ground there.
No, there's absolute consistency. If the ball hits the ground and moves as you're coming down with it, it will be called an incomplete every time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #234 on: December 17, 2017, 09:07:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
No, there's absolute consistency. If the ball hits the ground and moves as you're coming down with it, it will be called an incomplete every time.
Yeah it's actually really consistent.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #235 on: December 17, 2017, 09:13:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Yeah it's actually really consistent.
At least as far as this particular aspect of the rule is concerned. What constitutes "a football move" has generally been iffy, but just reaching downfield has never been enough to satisfy that definition.

« Reply #236 on: December 17, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

#HotTakeAlert
Depends entirely on how many Super Bowls each one wins in that time

« Reply #237 on: December 17, 2017, 09:28:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, I don't get where people said what constitutes a catch isn't called consistently. Instant repkay has pretty much rendered that point moot. Yeah, they get some wrong but the vast majority are called correctly. This call was correct.

You want inconsistent, review how dbs defend the Gronk. They hold him and interfere with him on most plays and they don't call it or call it wrong most of the time. Unfortunately, no instant replay on penalties so Gronk gets screwed most of the time.

« Reply #238 on: December 17, 2017, 09:48:03 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I thought the biggest issue with the no catch was if it was a catch before he reached towards the goal line (which is a football move). But he was in motion towards the goal line before his knee was down. Thus he needed to maintain control going down to the ground to complete the catch. He didn't as we saw on the replay. He really should have just caught the ball then go in backwards he blew that play. I very much enjoy Steelers losing. Such a hypocritical team.

I saw somewhere someone put it nicely about all these goal line controversies:
"Reach for the goal line at your own peril."

« Reply #239 on: December 17, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

#HotTakeAlert
Depends entirely on how many Super Bowls each one wins in that time
Maybe, if you think the 49ers organization is as good as  the Patriots.