Author Topic: Optimism vs. Pessimism  (Read 449 times)

Optimism vs. Pessimism
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Sure, we can be critical of the specifics of the trade:

Will we regret the Brooklyn pick if it doesn't fall between 5-10?
Will we regret losing Jae Crowder's team friendly contract?
Will Ante Zizic turn into a legit NBA center?
Will IT earn his max contract which he inevitably thinks is heading his way?

But I choose to look at the positives:

We just added 2 Top 25 NBA Players in their prime this offseason.
We just added a top 3 pick who appears to be the real deal (Tatum).
Jaylen Brown continues to emerge gaining international experience.
We created room to re-sign Marcus Smart next year thus providing the window for this team to attempt to compete as a unit for 2-3 years minimum.
Baynes is an NBA ready center which we hoped Zizic would be. I'd rather know we have it vs. wonder if the guy will develop into it.
Marcus Morris, assuming no legal challenges, replaces Jae's stinginess and length on defense. I think he is undertouted as an offseason pickup.

I have no reason to believe this team hasn't improved its chances to compete immediately. I think moreso than what most believe. The gains far outweigh the losses.

Thomas - Irving (you could argue wash but I think you're failing to look beyond regular season stats and what happens come playoffs)
Bradley - Hayward (obvious upgrade)
Crowder - Morris (even)
Zeller/Zizic - Baynes (upgrade)

In virtually every position, we have upgraded. Am I wrong in this thinking?

Re: Optimism vs. Pessimism
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 11:20:25 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Sure, we can be critical of the specifics of the trade:

Will we regret the Brooklyn pick if it doesn't fall between 5-10?

I think that that has as much to do with how the Celtics perform this year as where Brooklyn winds up.

Will we regret losing Jae Crowder's team friendly contract?

Will we regret losing Crowder is also an important question.  If 'we' means fans, Jae's basketball contribution is criminally undervalued. Cleveland did well in the deal...

Will Ante Zizic turn into a legit NBA center?

If you mean a starter, no.  If you mean a rotation player - not on a contender, maybe on a lesser team. If you mean a guy who can stay in the league, yes.

Will IT earn his max contract which he inevitably thinks is heading his way?

Let's hope so. Few have deserved it as much as he has.

Bradley - Hayward (obvious upgrade)

I agree, although Bradley's role of wing stopper (along with Crowder, n.b.) is being taken by Jaylen.

Crowder - Morris (even)

Don't agree, although Morris is pretty good. And their roles are not the same, although they overlap.

Zeller/Zizic - Baynes (upgrade)

You don't mention Olynyk and Johnson, who are both better players than Baynes. But the price is right, and the (minimal) long-term commitment is acceptable. Great pickup, I think.

Defensive rebounding will likely be an even bigger issue than last season. Baynes was on a par with Olynyk in this area last season, but his minutes, I would bet, will be lower. Also Morris was way behind Crowder and Johnson in this area; Hayward was behind Bradley... etc.

In virtually every position, we have upgraded. Am I wrong in this thinking?

Yes, though I would agree that the team as a whole is stronger.